Herve Duval
France
Bavay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picture the following situation:
- A full strength, 4SP divsion attacks a 1SP Block
- Battle result: 1SP lost each

The defender's block is wiped out but he has won the battle according to 7.41, point 6 (a draw 1-1, defender wins).

Furthermore, the attacker must retreat, even if there is no defender left.

Does it make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - to the best of my knowledge, the attacker would still retreat, leaving the location empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bennett
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. You can be wiped out and still win the battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jens blixt
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say yes to this question aswell,As I se it this shows a last ditch defense that repels the enemy just one more time at the cost of to many casulties for the defending unit to make it an effective figthing unit. I do not realy know if I play it rigth but it is quite cinematic moment when a 1 steep unit wins a battel ower a 4 steep unit preventing an breacetrough!! (some coments on the enemy troop cuality migth ocure during thees moments! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herve Duval
France
Bavay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. The rules are clear indeed but it is always good to receive confirmation from fellow gamers!

H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Interesting. Quite a few rules will say if you are wiped out you are the loser regardless of the balance of casualties. Was by design or oversight? I don't have strong feelings either way, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Pleva
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the attacker causes 2 hits in this battle? Only one can be applied to the single step defender. IOW, is the battle winner determined by the number of hits achieved? Or the number of hits actually absorbed?

I know that to score a "Great Victory" you need force the enemy to eat 4 or more actual hits.

Thanks,
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HighwayStar wrote:
What if the attacker causes 2 hits in this battle? Only one can be applied to the single step defender. IOW, is the battle winner determined by the number of hits achieved? Or the number of hits actually absorbed?

I know that to score a "Great Victory" you need force the enemy to eat 4 or more actual hits.

Thanks,
Steve

Victory is determined by the hits achieved, even if the opponent does not have enough SP to absorb them all. So if the attacker caused 2 hits to the defender's 1, then the attacker wins, even if the defender only has 1 SP to absorb the hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules say:
Quote:
The side, which takes the most losses, loses the battle.

Granted the rules are very inconsistent in language, but what's your basis for saying that it's 'hits achieved' that determines the winner/loser of the battle? Especially given that all other situations appear consistent in using 'real losses'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking losses isn't the same as applying the losses to the actual units. The fact that the rules go out of their way to describe "real losses" as something different and used for the particular case of great victories makes it reasonably clear, at least to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myk Deans
United States
Rotonda West
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I respectfully disagree with your interpretation, but I understand where you're coming from. Man, I really, really, really hate these rules. This is a great game, and it deserves a far better written set of rules than Academy have produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Pleva
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James! I'm glad that is the answer otherwise you'd have the opportunity for some real cheese with 1SP delaying blocks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.