Mike Mayer
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Just to mix things up...

Instead of the normal rules, when playing a card to besiege or reinforce, determine the card's military strength by rolling dice. Roll one die for each military strength symbol (or ship symbol, as appropriate):

A roll of 1 means that die imparts Zero strength.
A roll of 2-5 means that die imparts One strength.
A roll of 6 means that die imparts Two strengths.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:

Just to mix things up...

Instead of the normal rules, when playing a card to besiege or reinforce, determine the card's military strength by rolling dice. Roll one die for each military strength symbol (or ship symbol, as appropriate):

That is all.
I like that idea. I have toyed with something almost identical. I've also suggested a similar idea for Through the Ages, as variable tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:

Just to mix things up...

That is all.
I like that idea. I have toyed with something almost identical. I've also suggested a similar idea for Through the Ages, as variable tactics cards.

I hate that idea, for a number of reasons. One of these (but not the strongest) is that you can no longer count up symbols to check the siege marker is in the right place. But more importantly it's just a distortion of the type of game this is, and doesn't help with any issues the game may have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

I hate that idea, for a number of reasons. One of these (but not the strongest) is that you can no longer count up symbols to check the siege marker is in the right place. But more importantly it's just a distortion of the type of game this is, and doesn't help with any issues the game may have.

Hate? Fair enough. Always nice to see such passion.

Just for the record, I'm not familiar enough with the game's issues to try to correct them. And I'm not all that concerned about game-taxonomy distortion issues. As I wrote, it's "Just to mix things up."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Mayer wrote:

Instead of the normal rules, when playing a card to besiege or reinforce, determine the card's military strength by rolling dice.

Martin Wallace is spinning in his grave at the idea that anyone would add dice to one of his games.

Ok Ok, he's not dead. But someday when he is, he will start spinning in his grave and we will all know who to blame.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mayer
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:

Ok Ok, he's not dead. But someday when he is, he will start spinning in his grave and we will all know who to blame.shake

Himself? He's added dice to his games.

In any case, no disrespect to Martin intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's variants yer after, how adding 1 strength point to the singleton free French Regular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
out4blood wrote:
Mike Mayer wrote:

Just to mix things up...

That is all.
But more importantly it's just a distortion of the type of game this is, and doesn't help with any issues the game may have.
A distortion? Really?

Also, I don't think he was intending as a fix for the Hammer. I certainly wasn't. It makes for more tense (and possibly fun!) gameplay if you can't be sure your troops will have the exact right impact. That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on guys. Dice are evil, you all know that. Your inner soul does, anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls