Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jayrad Ryerson
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For a big box expansion to Dominion I'm pretty dissapointed really doesn't change the game like Intrigue, Seaside, or Prosperity...probably ranks below them and above Alchemy but still not worthy of the big box expansion to me and seems to be a bit of the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I think it changes the game far more than Seaside did. The on-gain abilities add a lot of new tactical decisions to the game that didn't exist before. When you get to $5 late-game, maybe you'll buy a Duchy as normal... but maybe buying a Mandarin to bounce your Treasure so you have a good chance of a Province next turn is more worthwhile. Or when you enter the stage of the game where you normally just buy whatever Victory cards you can afford, even Estates, because you'll never see any of your purchases before the game ends, suddenly Nomad Camp provides an alternative option. And that's to say nothing of the new Reactions, the fundamental difference between Ill-Gotten Gains and regular Curse-distributors, and so on and so forth.

Seaside was definitely fun, but its "next turn" theme, while providing nice flavor, often didn't actually alter decision-making in the game very much. Hinterlands' "this turn" theme, on the other hand, adds new types of tactics not previously present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It changes the game way more than any other expansion IMO. By like a factor of 2 over Prosperity, which was already a huge game-changer. The idea that it doesn't is not even coherent to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the posters above me. Hinterlands changes up the game a TON. It's the most advanced of any of the expansions yet, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that the "When Gained" powers are a HUGE thing.

You really need look no further than Ill-Gotten Gains to see why. There is, in that card, the potential to curse everyone BEFORE THE FIRST SHUFFLE. That's crazy.

With the right setup, GAINING Border Village (Buy or otherwise) could net you three, four, maybe Six (I have to check that idea better) Cards in one go. Not sure if that would be a GOOD play, but it depends on the card set as always.

While it didn't add a new "Type" of card like Seaside, nor a Profusion of Non-Action Kingdom Cards like Prosperity, the On Gain/On Buy one time powers on most of Hinterlands cards really DO give the set a strong theme AND make a lot of changes to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna echo everyone else. Play with them more. Get spanked by weird combos on isotropic. You'll grow to appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Hinterlands is a big game changer and in only positive ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to be the first to say that Hinterlands is a game changer...er...nevermind.

But I do have to agree. It is a fun set that changes things quite a bit.

OPP: I feel about Cornucopia how you feel about Hinterlands. Not a lot that excites me. Don't hate it. Don't love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What everyone above me said. The first two turns are no longer guaranteed to be scripted. Thoughts about the "right" play keep changing. Even the inclusion of a single Hinterlands card like Trader (for example) shakes up what came before it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayrad Ryerson
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I appreciate you all telling me about the game and as I've played the last couple of days I agree with you. I can't help but feel a little cheated money wise...Seaside, Prosperity, and Intrigue all came with money, mats, or something that added to the game more than this. It's not a bad game but would like a little more than just balancing out the game or more cards that do the same is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kelly
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaredR111 wrote:
While I appreciate you all telling me about the game and as I've played the last couple of days I agree with you. I can't help but feel a little cheated money wise...Seaside, Prosperity, and Intrigue all came with money, mats, or something that added to the game more than this. It's not a bad game but would like a little more than just balancing out the game or more cards that do the same is all.

The MSRP on Hinterlands was a little less than most of the others for precisely that reason. I'm sympathetic, but if you think that Hinterlands really represents "more cards that do the same," keep playing on Isotropic. You'll figure it out sooner or later. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaredR111 wrote:

But I think there has been great detail shown that Hinterlands does much, much more than what you say it does. I agree with a post above. Eventually you'll figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
JaredR111 wrote:

When Seaside came out, everyone complained that the mats and tokens drove up the price without making the game better. Now that we have a full-sized expansion with a lower price and no such extra bits, people are complaining that it doesn't have enough random shiny things thrown in?

If you think that the extent to which an expansion improves a game is determined entirely by the physical size and material of the components, then by all means, consider this a black mark against Hinterlands. But few would agree with that heuristic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
MSRP ($USD) per part

Dominion $45 (500 cards, no mats, no coins, no tokens. $0.09 per part)

Intrigue $45 (500 cards, no mats, no coins, no tokens. $0.09 per part)

Seaside $45 (300 cards, 18 mats, 25 coins, 15 tokens. $0.126 per part)

Alchemy $30 (150 cards, no mats, no coins, no tokens. $0.20 per part)

Prosperity $45 (300 cards, 9 mats, 8 coins, 31 tokens. $0.129 per part)

Cornucopia $30 (150 cards, no mats, no coins, no tokens. $0.20 per part)

Hinterlands $40 (300 cards, no mats, no coins, no tokens. $0.133 per part)

Sm Exp 2012 $___

Lg Exp 2012 $___

-----

Based on this, I don't think Hinterlands is hurt by the missing parts as the small expansions are significantly higher cost per item than the large boxes. If I had a bit longer to do the math, I'd be glad to speculate the MSRP based on everything in the box, including the box, tray, and instructions. However, I do not expect to see a significant change in relation to the per item of the 3 large expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad, my comments were based on the huge degree to which the cards in this expansion change the strategy space of the game. Since it's a strategy game, not a dexterity game. Or maybe... ?

Motley Totem
$5
Action

Take a Chaos Token and flip it onto the Supply from a height of at least one foot. If it turns over completely at least once during the flip, trash all cards it touches.
Trash this.
+1 Buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ghorsche wrote:
My bad, my comments were based on the huge degree to which the cards in this expansion change the strategy space of the game. Since it's a strategy game, not a dexterity game. Or maybe... ?

Motley Totem
$5
Action

Take a Chaos Token and flip it onto the Supply from a height of at least one foot. If it turns over completely at least once during the flip, trash all cards it touches.
Trash this.
+1 Buy.

Nah - you'd have to flip the card itself instead of a token. And if the player wants to, they have the option to tear the card into little pieces so it can touch as many other cards as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

Nah - you'd have to flip the card itself instead of a token.

Yes, that was the original version of the post before the edit, but I realized it failed to address the OP's dire concern about the lack of additional fiddly bits in this expansion. Give the people what they want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i tend to agree with jared - for sure some of the hinterland cards are great and different but there does see far too many that are just the same as so many other cards - i said to my partner this and that its not as good as seaside or prosperity..maybe we are missing something....??
i am encouraged to see so many of you disagree with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the release order were:

... Hinterlands, Seaside, Prosperity

would you instead complain that Prosperity didn't offer anything new much over Hinterlands or Seaside? If the answer is "yes" then the only problem is release order. If the answer is "no" then you don't agree with the original guy's claim that bigger Treasure and Victory cards aren't new as much as different versions of older cards. Or you feel the little victory tokens are fantastically radical. Certainly the "on gain" effects of Watchtower and Royal Seal would be old hat to a tired Hinterlands player.

But what's amazing is that any new implementation of even the same-old effect changes the way a game is played. I'd say that Fishing Village is very different than Bazaar, even though both have the same ultimate effect of

Bazaar
+2 Actions, +1 coin
+1 Card

Fishing Village (second turn)
+2 Actions, +1 coin
+1 Card

only difference is that in the first turn, Fishing Village didn't give +1 Card. Please understand, dear reader, that the above version of Fishing Village isn't "as printed" but "as gross effect if played the second time instead of held-over from first turn" and there's only a little bit of consequence from it being a Duration card, such as it is easier, once an action chain has begun to draw your explosive action card needed to start such chains but the lingering Fishing Village guarantees you begin your next turn with that extra action to spend. Also, Fishing Villages don't get shuffled into the new deck, can't be lost to too many Torturers, and prevent pairing a Throne Room used on it last time with something else this time while awaiting their subsequent turn. So yeah, it plays quite differently even though it is basically another Bazaar.

So, even though neither of those cards are from Hinterlands, the point is that no matter how much the cards seem like they do the same thing, they really don't. There are far more complexities at work here than "Does it get me more money? Does it take an Action to play?" Ultimately, if it still feels like you are still playing Dominion no matter which sets you pile on, that's because you are still playing Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayrad Ryerson
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Its not bad I might just wait for a deal before I bought it. Not much of a game changer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jood wrote:
maybe we are missing something....??

Yeah, play the game a few times and you'll find out.

One poster commented that Hinterlands is an expansion better played with other expansions. I only played two games, but am inclined to agree. OTOH, If you didn't like Intrigue, I don't think Hinterlands would be a good expansion to play.

Feel free to wait for a deal, but, if you liked Intrigue (and have played through all the other Dominion expansions), you'll regret it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Bawn
msg tools
JaredR111 wrote:

You're joking, right? The mats and tokens add little value to the game. I've used my jar of change in place of the tokens when I didn't want to transport them with the cards. And the mats just take up space. I've been using the Prosperity mats as coasters. Really, I'm thankful that Hinterlands *doesn't* have this added cruft. I'd say that the recommended sets of 10 add more value than the tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayrad Ryerson
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MrBawn wrote:
JaredR111 wrote:

You're joking, right? The mats and tokens add little value to the game. I've used my jar of change in place of the tokens when I didn't want to transport them with the cards. And the mats just take up space. I've been using the Prosperity mats as coasters. Really, I'm thankful that Hinterlands *doesn't* have this added cruft. I'd say that the recommended sets of 10 add more value than the tokens.

As far as value in a game something more than a deck of cards makes me feel like I'm getting a little more for my money. I think it adds more to the theme of the game especially seaside with pirate ships and tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.