Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Miller
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take a few minutes and humor a comic collecting geek by taking these polls. After taking the poll please if you wouldn't mind leaving a comment on who your favorite comic character is. I'm really interested in the different point of views and would like to hear about your reading suggestions, what title you think are worth reading and why?
Thank you for your time

Poll
For those of you who collect comics, what company do you purchase the majority of your title from?
Marvel
DC Comics
Dark Horse
Image / Top Cow
IDW Publishing
Other Independant
      38 answers
Poll created by Hms_indefatigable

Poll
If you suddenly acquired super powers how would you use them?
To do good, the super hero.
To do evil, the super villain.
To be famous, the celebrity with powers.
To punish the unjust, the vigilante.
To rule, the power monger.
To do something else, please comment below.
      39 answers

Poll
How long have you been collecting and reading comic books?
1-2 years
5 years
10 years
15 years
20 years
25+ years
      27 answers

Poll
How many title do you read per month?
1-5 books
6-10 books
11-15 books
16-20 books
21-25 books
26+ books
      25 answers

Poll
How old are you?
15 and under
16-20 years old
21-25 years old
26-30 years old
31-35 years old
36+ years old
      31 answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Miller
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To start things off, I'd have to say my all time favorite character would have to be Batman. As far as titles go I regularly read LEGION, Deathstroke, Justice League, and all the Batman titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Watson
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All time favorite has to be Spider-man. Followed by Wolverine, Batman, and then Hal Jordan Green Lantern. The Goon is probably my favorite non major comic book character (he's not really a superhero). Marvel is my number 1 publisher, but I really don't like all the "major" crossover super events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid I was all about Green Lantern, which got me interested in the green lantern/green arrow crossovers.

In College I started reading more indy stuff as you are supposed to do, the standouts being Stray Bullets and Usagi Yojimbo.

Now I read whatever looks interesting or I hear good things about.

Currently the only supers comic I'm following is Batgirl. And I don't even know why. The writing by Gail Simon is good, but feels constrained by the 'supers' comic format as much as it is by the story she wants to tell. But so far so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to be Batman for me, and if I see a good storyline coming up, I don't mind ordering it. That would be like it's done by a writer or artist I like who takes over the title for some issues.
The only "super hero" series I now collect are Hellboy and BPRD.
Other than that I collect nearly the complete DC Vertigo titles.

As for Marvel I have been into Daredevil and Elektra, also The Punisher and Black Widow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started reading comics in 1992 with DC's Vertigo imprint and that's still the bulk of my reading. By 1995 I was managing a comic book store - I worked at 6 stores over the next 6 years and two continents . . .

The only Marvel I read these days is the Brubaker and Phillips stuff from Icon. Oh, and their Crossgen relaunch - I loved Crossgen. I read Ultimate Spidey up until they killed Peter Parker off.

Plenty of small press reading - anything by Terry Moore, Jeff Smith, the Peanuts complete hardcovers, anything that catches my eye in Previews. Some great stuff from Archaia.

I tried a number of DC's New 52 titles, but have whittled them down to 2 ongoings. Catwoman surprised me with how much fuin it is. Justice League Dark should have been a slam dunk - my favorite "hero", Shade the Changing Man, written by his creator - and I'm sticking with it, but it's really mediocre (and not focused on Shade). Dropped Detective, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman very quickly. Also reading The Shade (cos I loved Starman) but Robinson has always given bare lip service to his characters actually being in the DCU (which I think is a good thing).

My wife reads Charmed, which I'm sure looks very odd on my pull list . . .

I miss Crossgen, Virgin, and Radical. I seem to be death on small press companies trying to do something different!

Best books out there right now are The Unwritten, Rachel Rising and Criminal. IMO, of course.

[edit] How could I forget Comic Book Comics and Action Philosophers by Van Lente and Dunleavy?! Genius beyond words - non-fiction, scholarly comics that are hysterical (as well as amazingly accurate!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started reading comics in 1984. Basically I was in grade 4, Transformers and GI Joe were just coming out into the market for the first time (ok GI Joe action figures that is). And Marvel put out comics. I HAD TO HAVE THEM. Being a Transformer nut, I wanted them, but where to get them was "mysterious" at best.

I remember seeing an older kid with a GI Joe comic. I asked him where you get them. He said "anywhere".

Later I found a local convenience store had some. I was already about 10 issues to late. So I had to get "Back issues" this was my foray into "comic book stores." I was amazed at there being entire stores, selling comics.

This was when I started to branch out into other comics, most notably the x-men.

The first two comics I ever bought however, were a few years before the transformers. Both were DC during their Infinite Earth cross over. The first was the issue where superman hold's supergirls dead body

The second was this one

However as I said, I got into Marvel comics. i liked them better because they were in real world places, not "Gotham" or "Metropolis". Also they seemed more mature, dealing more with the characters behind the masks.

Not to say I didn't buy the odd DC now and then, but most of my stuff was grounded in Marvel comics.

In 1987 my older brother introduced me to DnD. I played with his group (which looking back surprised me, I was 12 and they were 16-18.) However my mom put an end to that feeding into the DnD hysteria. So that Christmas I got the Marvel Super Heroes RPG. And soon I was running adventures with all my friends. I did this for about 3 years and branched out into other RPG's.

By then my comic collection had grown. However by the mid 90's. I became disillusioned. The comic industry was more interested in "variant covers" and "hologram cards" then they were in telling good stories. It showed, because this was the crash of the comic industry.

I stopped collecting in 1992 or 93. I was fed up.

In 2000, I was taking a college art course, and I needed to pick up a comic for an art project. That was it, I was hooked again. I've been collecting (off and on) since then.

Lately I've bought less and less Marvel, I was heavily into the Star Wars: Legacy series, one of the best comics in the past couple years. I also am right into the DC reboot. I'm enjoying it.

However, my local comic shop is moving from "right down the street" to about a 10-15 min drive away. Not a big deal, but with that, and some big financial costs coming up this year. It's a good bet I'll have to stop again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.