6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Blessings of Nodens and Awakening the Ancient One rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Commander Video
msg tools
Hello,
I am a little confused about the timing for using Blessing of Nodens cards. For example, there is one that (if you discard it) lets you pick a dimensional symbol and send all monsters of that kind back to the cup. Can you just use this any time? Seems kind of odd. There is another that just says "remove a token from the doom track then discard this card." Is this one not "kept" like the others (i.e. must it be used right away?).

One other question unrelated to the Blessings is what happens to the monsters on the board when the ancient one awakens. I ask this because one of Nyar's sinister plots has you draw monsters from the cup and see how many mask monsters you get. If there are 3 or 4 on the board though, this will obviously be a much less effective plot. The rulebook (I don't think) does not say explicitly what happens to those monsters, I assumed they just stayed on the board.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devout Haruhiist wrote:
Hello,
I am a little confused about the timing for using Blessing of Nodens cards. For example, there is one that (if you discard it) lets you pick a dimensional symbol and send all monsters of that kind back to the cup. Can you just use this any time? Seems kind of odd. There is another that just says "remove a token from the doom track then discard this card." Is this one not "kept" like the others (i.e. must it be used right away?).

One other question unrelated to the Blessings is what happens to the monsters on the board when the ancient one awakens. I ask this because one of Nyar's sinister plots has you draw monsters from the cup and see how many mask monsters you get. If there are 3 or 4 on the board though, this will obviously be a much less effective plot. The rulebook (I don't think) does not say explicitly what happens to those monsters, I assumed they just stayed on the board.

Thanks!
When Nodens is the Guardian and you become Blessed (in the normal ways possible for getting Blessed) then you draw the top card of the Blessings of Nodens deck. You can keep the card until you lose your Blessing or until you use it and discard it. In the case of the Dimensional Symbol Nodens Blessing you keep the card until you decide to use it - at which point you discard it. It's like some Unique Items in that respect.

For the Doom Token Blessing; why would you want to keep it? I can see no tactical advantage in delaying the removal of the Doomer. When you draw the Blessing, just remove the Doomer and discard the card.

With regard to the Sinister Plot and Monsters on the board when the AO awakens, I don't think anything happens to those Monsters. I guess you just get lucky if Nyarlathotep's plot is weakened. Doesn't happen often, so you should revel in the glory when it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For the Doom Token Blessing; why would you want to keep it? I can see no tactical advantage in delaying the removal of the Doomer. When you draw the Blessing, just remove the Doomer and discard the card.

Very rarely (for instance due to Marie's Witchblood ability) there might not BE any Doom Tokens on the track; under that (rare) circumstance, I would suppose you could hold on to the card, like any other Noden's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with Marie Lambeau's ability, there might be a benefit to saving the card to be used during final combat. But I thought this card had to be used immediately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
As with Marie Lambeau's ability, there might be a benefit to saving the card to be used during final combat.
Good point!
Quote:
But I thought this card had to be used immediately?

I don't know.

Now that I think about it, most cards that are discarded to trigger some effect either list a phase for their use, or say "any phase". That would tend to support that the intent was that it should be triggered immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kungfro wrote:
As with Marie Lambeau's ability, there might be a benefit to saving the card to be used during final combat. But I thought this card had to be used immediately?

No, I don't think so. The ones that get discarded based on specific event (such as gaining a specific type of card) all say "may" so the timing is whenever you feel like it and the condition is met.

The other discard to use don't say "may," but they also don't have a specific trigger and so imply you can use them whenever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.