18xx» Forums » General

Subject: What would be a good starting poker bank? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Poker chips are cool and they are pretty damn useful. Paper money is a pain, I normally take several seconds to take cash when you pay for something in Automobile or Intrigue when with Poker chips you can cut that time in half. They also take far less space, you don't need to spread your bills so that everyone knows how much cash you have.

With that in mind I'm considering buying a set of poker chips. 18XX is probably the most sensitive game to poker chips so I'm cosidering building it around it.

I made some research and found the most common colors for each chip value, that's good. If the intro to 18XX goes well I will play mainly 1825 Unit 1 with some regionals and perhaps some 18AL or 1830 clones later. This needs around 6K in pieces.

All the other games can fit around it (Chicago Express, Automobile and Intrigue are going to be the ones with most play).

I'm considering a 5 color set that can be expanded later.

1/5/20/100/500

According to the 18XX mailist the most used colors are:
White/Red/Grey/Black/Purple

How many of each chip would I need?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker Chip Recommendations - (How to build a set for and procedures when using with 18xx)

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 18xx, I would aim for $15,000. I have a personal 300+27 chip set of $45,000 which works well, is very compact and portable. The only real downside is that I use many chip-colors (50 white $1, 50 yellow $2, 50 red $5, 50 blue $10, 25 green $25, 25 orange $50, 25 black $100, 25 purple $500, 27 grey $1000 = some numbers are offset to make exactly $45000) and there is slightly more chip exchange than in 1-5-25-100-500-chip-sets. The highest final total I've ever had with the chip-set came from Greed, Inc. (although I will note that I would need additional chips for 18C2C or 18OE).

For non-18xx, you're likely fine with a bank of $5000 (aside from the Greed, Inc as noted above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
General_Norris wrote:
Poker chips are cool and they are pretty damn useful.

Poker chip recommendations

Quote:
I made some research and found the most common colors for each chip value, that's good. If the intro to 18XX goes well I will play mainly 1825 Unit 1 with some regionals and perhaps some 18AL or 1830 clones later. This needs around 6K in pieces.

1825 has a $6K bank. 1830 has a $12K bank. Almost all 18xx banks are comfortably under $20K. See the 18xx differences list for details.

Quote:
All the other games can fit around it (Chicago Express, Automobile and Intrigue are going to be the ones with most play).

Almost all euro-games (not Chicago Express amusingly enough) easily fit within a 100-count chipset:

40 white $1
30 red $5
25 green $25
5 black $100

Moving the 25s to 20s should also work well but will get squeezey at the end of several games.

Quote:
According to the 18XX mailist the most used colors are:
White/Red/Grey/Black/Purple

How many of each chip would I need?

I use the following distribution with great success in our weekly 18xx games:

Colour Value Count Total Value BankSize
White $1 75 $75 $75
Red $5 95 $475 $550
Green $25 78 $1,950 $2,500
Black $100 50 $5,000 $7,500
Purple $500 25 $12,500 $20,000

Have a look at San Francisco Bay Area 18xx to see what we play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
BEAVERTON
Oregon
flag msg tools
I use JC's exact recommended denominations with a 5-color 300pc set. Works great for all games including 18XX, Indonesia, Acquire, even Le Havre, Steam, or whatever.

I really liked this 5-color, unlabeled set, with case (~$34 + free shipping. 25% off with promo code "21ace") : http://www.pokershopping.com/300-13-5-gram-pro-clay-stripe-s...

These are "Clay composite stripe suited" 13.5g chips. They are noticeably heavy, which i like. You may not.

Other links for the same or similar chips:

http://www.21ace.com/reviews/Poker-Chips-135g-Stripe-Suited....
http://www.pokershopping.com/poker-chip-sets300-pieces_sc200...

The point is that you don't need to spend a fortune. I got my set for $20 shipped and i'm perfectly happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb

I use this set, it is 190 chips:
50 1s white
45 5s red
38 20s yellow
38 100s black
15 500s purple
4 2000s light blue

It handles 18xx well provided there aren't too many companies, but is tightest on the 20s. It coped fine with 18AL, 18GA and 1830 (8 companies and 6 players), but couldn't quite manage 18EU which starts the game with 15 companies, so I had to use spare plastic chips as $50 markers (blue).

The $2000 chips - it is debatable if they are useful. They are value holders in the last turn or two, you can take it or leave it...

If anything the set needs more $20 chips and more $500 chips. More of everything is good too so you don't have to make change as often.

I also recommend getting chips with edge stripes - most useful when you need to count money (e.g. Chicago Express).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.