Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won’t delve much into the rules, they are available online and the mechanic of the game can be summarised as rock/paper/scissor played with cards and a fantasy theme pasted on.

Here three hunters cards are needed to take fire dragon cards which can take a number of treasure chests. Two knights can take a number of trolls or sorceresses; the latter can also take treasure chests and so on. The classic rock/paper/scissor has been developed a few levels and made a bit more complex (?!) by the need in some cases to have more than one card of a character to take other character cards or by the possibility to take one character card with a number of other characters cards.

As for the dragon, it allows the player who takes it (with a sorceress that can be taken by a troll that can be taken by two knights) to have 6 cards instead of 5. Not all cards go immediately into a player’s hand and this is where ships come into play, three of them are needed to take hunters and knights that have been used to respectively take fire dragons and trolls or sorceresses. Each card has a value and the winner is the player with the most points.

It is a well designed game with simple and well oiled rules but is it fun?

There is a lot of luck involved in this game. A player’s options can be very limited by a succession of bad draws. It may be good to sacrifice a turn to your opponent in order to get a new hand. There is some interactions between the two players as one may be or have to play into the hand of the other. A game rarely last more than 10-15 minutes, and it will appeal to a younger audience but even as filler it is rather light. It will do well on your iPhone or online (it is available on BGA where I play it) but I would not buy it or take it to my game club, especially that it is a two-player game and that taking it out and packing it back would probably take more time than playing it.

What I like: Quick to learn, easy to play, fast.

What I don’t like: too much luck involved, limited replayability, pasted theme.

Verdict: Bah Humbug!

Edited for typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. and Bah Humbug to you!

Would Dragonheart be a good kids game in your view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The rules are easy, the board and cards are quite fun and it would also have an educational value (as you have to count cards!).

There is some strategy but it is limited by luck, but for kids it does not really matter. Good introduction for something a bit more complex.

Also it is short so they won't get bored!

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Gable
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this is one that I wouldn't pull out often for myself, it is one of my wifes favorites so gets high marks for that.

It is a great game for kids, my four year old daughter picked it up very quickly and my 11 year old son loves it and has pulled it out to play with friends.

It is also very good in the evening when you have a glass of wine after dinner and want something quiet, (just put the kids to bed), simple, (just got off work, don't want/can't handle a brainburner), and quick enough to get in several games in 30 minutes or so (depending on when you get the ships out, we have finished a game in ten minutes).

Overall it is a good, fun little filler with great artwork and a few simple decisions that the whole family can enjoy, two at a time .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger_Jay wrote:
What I don’t like: too much luck involved,

Try playing online at http://en.boardgamearena.com you'll be surprised at the amount of times you constantly lose against a lot of the regular players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I have (as I mention in the review) and I am in the top 10 victory number (at least today) with a 46-48% hit. I have beaten a number of number of Top 10 players (and even a couple of number 1) and have been equally beaten by player with a lower rank than me, even beginner, waiting for a ship or a hunter that turned up only the turn after my opponent plays his, or when you are stucked with chests hunters for turns...

I don't dislike the game, I just find the luck factor furstrating.

~J
Edited for typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.