Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very tempted to get into this series. There are 4 to 6 guys in my group that would be willing, but most of the time the game would be played either solo or 2, maybe 3.

Drizzt is very interesting, but is that the place to start? Any guidance on how to get started and progress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Kristin L. Johansen
United States
Mountain Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
Happy Holidays!
badge
I swear on my pretty floral bonnet...
mbmbmbmbmb
Drizzt is where I started, and now the family and I can't wait to get the other two! The rules were easy, but having DnD knowledge probably would help some. I can definitely recommend Drizzt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingPrincess wrote:
Drizzt is where I started, and now the family and I can't wait to get the other two! The rules were easy, but having DnD knowledge probably would help some. I can definitely recommend Drizzt.
Thanks. I really like what I read about Drizzt. It's where I'd start because it has the highest ratings. Glad to here it's fun for the family without the other titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many threads on this topic with good suggestions, but I will state here: CR, WoA, LoD. In order.

CR is still our favorite and sees the most table time.
WoA adds some cool stuff, but mixed with CR it is fantastic.
LoD is hero fan service. Fun new options, but the strength of the heroes will muddle your play experiences if done backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with CR.. then WoA.. and will have LoD on Christmas or the day after if nobody figured out that LoD is the only thing I want for Christmas.. and, at 46, I can go get it after they didn't figure it out.

I agree.. start with CR
then expand to WoA and play it.. then blend it with CR...
then get LoD

CR is the system at it's core. Good heroes.. fun monsters.. brutal encounters.. cooperation needed to win.

WoA adds new characters (but I still like CR characters.. but now there is more choice with the new ones) and adds the chamber idea.. which sparks your imagination to make your own adventures by making your own monster and encounter decks.

LoD takes characters in a whole new direction opening the game up for what seems to be more as an rpg vehicle... and still more good gaming bits.

That's my 2-cents... I can afford them all.. and I'd still start at CR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
...CR, WoA, LoD. In order.

CR is still our favorite and sees the most table time.
WoA adds some cool stuff, but mixed with CR it is fantastic.
LoD is hero fan service. Fun new options, but the strength of the heroes will muddle your play experiences if done backwards.

Eat2surf wrote:

I agree.. start with CR
then expand to WoA and play it.. then blend it with CR...
then get LoD

That's my 2-cents... I can afford them all.. and I'd still start at CR.

After reading the LoD reviews, this is surprising, but it makes sense.

The reason I ask is I'm looking to invest time & money in a superthemed game or system that does get serious table time, without fun-spoiling set-up and put-away time. The solo feature is a plus. And, of course, the D&D franchise is a huge draw for me.

So, let's say I take this advice, what's the best number of players? Thanks!

Eat2surf wrote:
I started with CR.. then WoA.. and will have LoD on Christmas or the day after if nobody figured out that LoD is the only thing I want for Christmas.. and, at 46, I can go get it after they didn't figure it out.
LOL! I'm in the same boat, same reason, different game! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
So, let's say I take this advice, what's the best number of players? Thanks!

The games scale very well with the recommended 1-5 players although LoD has some team and competitive adventures that only work with a certain number of players.

CR if you like being the underdog going up against an all-powerful vampire and you don't have an aversion to its undead theme.

WoA if you like having to deal with a crapload of monsters on the gameboard at the same time and if you prefer a more generic fantasy theme.

LoD if you want to experience being an epic hero putting the beatdown on the monsters, most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
The games scale very well with the recommended 1-5 players although LoD has some team and competitive adventures that only work with a certain number of players.

CR if you like being the underdog going up against an all-powerful vampire and you don't have an aversion to its undead theme.

WoA if you like having to deal with a crapload of monsters on the gameboard at the same time and if you prefer a more generic fantasy theme.

LoD if you want to experience being an epic hero putting the beatdown on the monsters, most of the time.
Thanks much. And you've just described my dilemma. Most of all, I "want to experience being an epic hero putting the beatdown on the monsters..." Does that come only after experiencing CR & WoA?

Here's the thing, I can get all three if that's the premium experience. But if not much is added--except new heroes--by CR and WoA, I'm fine with getting the best of the bunch and move on. And if all three games adds too many minutes to set up and tear down, that's a deal breaker.

So, if one's enough, that's fine with me. I did get the impression that experienced players say all three are the way to go. Better for me if it isn't. Thanks....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, getting CR or WoA first might sour your initial experience of these games. I got all 3 not because I find the game better with everything mixed together (not that it wouldn't be). I'm very focused on theme so I enjoy the different feeling each game provides and play each separately. The heroes are easily usable with any game but I only "import" monsters that are thematically suited to the game setting.

If you only get 1, there are several ways to add to the experience. One is that auggies sells individual parts from these games so you could pick and choose. Of course, it will be more costly if you actually end up buying all parts of 1 game. The other way is to look into the great number of custom heroes, monsters and whatnot available on bgg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs down on CR. Wouldn't recommend it at all. The theme is ridiculous -- kobolds working for a Vampire lord? Really? Was the skeletons and vampire bats union on strike that week? Treasures also suck, compared to the later sets.

Wrath is solidly generic. If you want a dragon in your dungeon, there you go.

With Drizzt, they understood that we didn't need another generic apology set, so went with the hero theme, with a slightly more complicated set of rules. But if you're on BGG, you're not an idiot. You can handle 'em.

Unless you enjoy hernias, there's no great pointing combining sets. You're just going to make the game more fiddly as you fish around more for the right mini or condition token. You *can* tune decks so that you don't have any stupid kobolds working for Lord Vampire Guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have modest collections of HeroScape and BattleLore. Both I love, neither gets to the table because the set up is sooooo long. And I can't leave them set up or mid game.

Is that the same here? Are D&D scenarios 30 minutes to set up, and another 30 minutes to put away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Thumbs down on CR. Wouldn't recommend it at all. The theme is ridiculous -- kobolds working for a Vampire lord?

While the kobolds were indeed a strange inclusion, not getting a perfectly playable game due to this one anomaly is equally faulty logic imo.

Taking this as an example, let's see what you could do to improve the experience assuming you have a half-full vs a half-empty worldview:

1. Assume they are Kobold Zombies. There really is such a thing in the D&D monster pantheon and it's not too far-fetched that the Kobold Sorceror villain (who is in fact one of the more celebrated villains in CR) gladly betrayed some of his own kin for the chance to learn powerful magic under Count Strahd.

2. Get Hpynotic Specter (LoD) or Snake (WoA) from auggies and swap them with the kobolds in CR.

3. Use my custom Skeletal Archer to replace the kobolds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
I have modest collections of HeroScape and BattleLore. Both I love, neither gets to the table because the set up is sooooo long. And I can't leave them set up or mid game.

Is that the same here? Are D&D scenarios 30 minutes to set up, and another 30 minutes to put away?

Nope, for me they are about 10 mins to setup (faster if using my single sheet heroes) and 45-60mins of playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
superflat wrote:
...Are D&D scenarios 30 minutes to set up, and another 30 minutes to put away?
Nope, for me they are about 10 mins to setup (faster if using my single sheet heroes) and 45-60mins of playtime.
Good to hear. Our typical gaming session is on Saturday, 7 to 8 hours, so with 60-minute scenarios, we could get quite a bit in.

Twilight Imperium is another game I enjoy, but a full hour of our game day is setting it up and tearing it down.

Thanks again. I may be late to the D&D party, but it really looks great. I also like the "No GM" feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Our typical gaming session is on Saturday, 7 to 8 hours

I've decided to move to Illinois, specifically to be your new next-door neighbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterio wrote:
I've decided to move to Illinois, specifically to be your new next-door neighbor.
That would be perfect! You'd have a six-man gaming group delivered to your door!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Ravenloft is my favorite, It's much harder also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflat wrote:
Thanks much. And you've just described my dilemma. Most of all, I "want to experience being an epic hero putting the beatdown on the monsters..." Does that come only after experiencing CR & WoA?

Legend of Drizzt it is then.

But to be honest the difference is really not that huge, you might as well compare different brands of apples. Sure, there are differences but they're all still apples. Maybe get the one you think has the coolest minis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
...get the one you think has the coolest minis...
In that case...
DeePee wrote:
Legend of Drizzt it is then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.