Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The super-simple super-power variant:
1At the beginning of the game, each player gets one random "Keep," power. "Discard," powers are discarded (and the player draws again until they get a "Keep" power).
2Then, each player gets 8 energy, minus the energy cost of their card.

Effects and considerations:
1This lets many more powers come out each game.
2Powers with higher costs are, in most cases, better than two powers that add up to that cost. (I think two heads, 7 energy, is better than most 3+4 energy cost power combinations). Here, this variant balances itself a little because while most players would rather have the better power than the extra energy, those with extra energy will actually get to choose their next power(s).
3If expansions come out that add cards that cost more than 8, raise the starting energy cube number to that amount.
4If you have a "no variants," OCD, imagine that two rounds went by, and in those two rounds people only got energy and bought powers.
5Turns out the highest cost card, Mimic, is the most helped by this variant because there's automatically a bunch of other powers to be mimicked at the table. However, this game is random enough I don't think such a lucky-break would spell an auto-win, or be out of the character of the game as a whole.

Honorable mention:
I just wanted to note that I looked through the variants to make sure this wasn't mentioned. It kinda was by Wilt. Funny thing, the way he does it is the first way I did it. Great minds think alike. Eventually, I liked having even more energy to start, and 8-(your card) is easier than (high card)-(your card) to explain, so I switched over to the method I describe above.

Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

WiltChamberlain wrote:
We have been giving each monster a random card to start with (which has to be a keep card). The monster that got the highest card just gets his card. The others get their card and the difference in cost between their card and the highest card in energy.

This gives you some differences to start with and gets a lot more use out of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the shout out.

Looks good to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand, I don't think the game really needs this at all... I've had a blast playing it many times now, exactly as it is. But that being said, this sounds like a good way to add some variety for each player to begin with. I know that "monster special powers" were mentioned as being part of the expansion, and it won't surprise me if they end up being implemented like this.

I'll probably try this on my next game, though I think I prefer Jamie's method, specifically. It's already short enough of a game, sometimes too short, IMO, and I don't think the extra boost of energy is really needed.

I love your 4 Great way to sell it to those who are averse to house rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:

On the one hand, I don't think the game really needs this at all...

I'll probably try this on my next game, though I think I prefer Jamie's method, specifically. It's already short enough of a game, sometimes too short, IMO, and I don't think the extra boost of energy is really needed.

I agree.

I don't think this variant is "needed," either. The game is fine as is. I don't use this variant every time I play. I never use it with new players (makes the game too busy). Some variants fix things that are broken. Dune has some of these. This isn't one of those. It just brings out the powers more. If the powers are an element of the game you like but don't get enough of, this helps to change the flavor in that direction.

The purpose of the energy boost is not to shorten the game, but to get more powers into what is a really short, few-powers, game. The purpose is to increase the powers / games ratio

Starting energy = (highest card)-(your card) makes a high-powered game.
Starting energy = 8-(your card) makes an even higher-powered game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
~WARNING, I HAVE NOT TESTED ANYTHING BELOW~

Ideas for REALLY higher powered games.

You can really keep going with this if you want LOTS of powers.

Deal out cards to the center of the table cards equal to twice the number of players (discard and redraw "discard" cards). Order them from high to low cost as you go. Then, give the highest and lowest to the first player, the second highest and the second lowest to the second, etc... Starting energy = (highest pair) - (your pair).

That kind of model can be extended quite a bit into three or more cards.

Another model I haven't tried:

If you feel like the "Discard" cards get the short end of the stick, then those can be started with to. They just sit in front of a player who can "buy" them at cost zero whenever they can buy cards (but now, we're actually changing the game a bit).

edit: clarity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I haven't played the game enough to have a good idea if there is a first-player advantage, but I get the feeling that there is. If so, does it make sense to award start player to the player with the lowest-cost power? This would have a side benefit of reducing the time to get started - it's very common for players to be tied for rolling attacks in the usual start-player method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I haven't played the game enough to have a good idea if there is a first-player advantage, but I get the feeling that there is. If so, does it make sense to award start player to the player with the lowest-cost power? This would have a side benefit of reducing the time to get started - it's very common for players to be tied for rolling attacks in the usual start-player method.

After playing about 15 times, I'd say that there isn't really any first player advantage. It's hard enough to stay alive a lot of times, much less get to 20 points. And sometimes being the first person into Tokyo isn't that great, because you may have wasted attack dice to do it (where nobody was in Tokyo to get damaged from them).

But... if you're using this variant, then sure, I think that's a good means of starting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:

Oops, I wasn't clear in my variant-variant where each player gets two cards. Here's an example for a five player game.

Deal out powers, here are there costs:

8 7 7 5 4 4 4 4 3 3

Player one gets: 8 + 3 + 0 energy cubes
Player two gets: 7 + 3 + 1 energy cube
Player three gets: 7 + 4 + 0 energy cubes
Player four gets: 5 + 4 + 2 energy cubes
Player five gets 4 + 4 + 3 energy cubes

I haven't tried this one yet. Personally, I'm not too interested as I enjoy the extra powers I get with the first variant I wrote up. I mostly brought this up as a conversation piece about how you can adjust the game to your own tastes when it comes to how many powers you'd like to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
At the beginning of the game, each player gets one random "Keep," power. "Discard," powers are discarded (and the player draws again until they get a "Keep" power).

I think "Extra head" or "Jetpack" should be discarded also. And some others. There are many cards that drawn in first hand could really make the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost never play variants of any game, but I tried this last night and it was fantastic. It fixed one of the things that has always bothered me about this game - not enough cards are used (in my group at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also try to use discard cards as a hidden one-time powers...

-> i.e., do not discard such cards immediately but put them face down before player and you may choose the time it will be revealed&played. But of course, you get no satisfaction by additional energy at the beggining of game nor at the time it is beeing played.

Also, you may twist the starting anergy as a difference between the most expensive starting power in play and yours... as was proposed here:
Anyone thought of giving each of the 6 monsters a small individual game ability or default card to start with to create some personality for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
The super-simple super-power variant:
1At the beginning of the game, each player gets one random "Keep," power. "Discard," powers are discarded (and the player draws again until they get a "Keep" power).
2Then, each player gets 8 energy, minus the energy cost of their card.

this is exactly how we play! Glad that others have had the same idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this idea. I think it sounds like a great variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.