Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering...

I clicked on Abaddon after seeing it on the Hotness list and, well...I couldn't figure out how it made it there.

The number of views was not incredible, it has no comments or ratings, there are 2 not particularly "hot" threads in the posts. I thought some/all of these were factors in hotness. Why are some games hot and others not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a secret to prevent shillers from pushing their games up on the hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
It's a secret to prevent shillers from pushing their games up on the hotness.

I don't pay much attention to The Hotness anyway, partially because it's way over on the left side of the screen and down a bit.

What I (and most other vistors) notice immediately are the Images on the front page. And there, the shillers can make the front page merely by thumb bombing their images. I think the front page status of the images is merely based on thumbs, as evinced by the recent My Little Pony-gate scandal.

So, if they are really trying to prevent shillers from manipulating The Hotness, they are putting their effort in the wrong place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Hotness" bar is just an accounting of the previous day's most visited game pages based on unique IP addresses. No magic to it. Things will tend to stay in the hotness if they are new and hyped up games that people keep checking in on (i.e. Eclipse just went through it's first release and sell out), if it's a very well regarded game that people put a lot of time into discussing or contributing to (i.e. the constant discussions around A Few Acres of Snow), or if it has some other gimmick or hook that gets people to click on it when they see it on the Hotness bar (i.e. Gaymonopoly or Up Against the Wall MotherF@#ker both stayed up there for some time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other note, often various widgets and articles on the front page will get people to click on the game: if it's on sale at Tanga or Amazon for a great price, if there's an article about it being reprinted in the news, or if there's a picture of a cute girl holding the game box. It's not necessarily because it's the most popular or "best" game out there, it's just what people are clicking on that day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for asking. We haven't had a "what" question in a while. This is one of the most frequently asked of this type though.

Item for Geeklist "New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
kaziam wrote:
Just wondering...

I clicked on Abaddon after seeing it on the Hotness list and, well...I couldn't figure out how it made it there.

Abaddon is designed by Richard Borg. Richard Borg is notorious for designing the Commands and Colors mechanics used by Commands and Colors: Ancients and Napoleonics, Battle Cry, Memoir '44 and Battlelore, all of which are held in high esteem.

Abaddon uses a modified version of the same mechanics, but with a Science Fiction theme, whereas Battlelore is Fantasy, Memoir '44 is WWII, Battle Cry is Civil War, and Ancients and Napoleonics are set in each of those respective eras.

So at first glance it might seem to be nothing special, but it's designed by a stellar designer and fills a thematic gap in the C&C series, even if it's not just a scifi version of the other games.

Besides...SciFi themed squad level skirmish games tend to be pretty popular, i.e., Space Hulk, Earth Reborn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Oh and about "The Hotness"...it's ordered by what Games, People and Companies are "Hot". What makes one "Hot" and another "Not"? Page views. That's it. Yes, it can be manipulated, just like anything else on BGG that users give input into, be it ratings, rankings, or whatever.

A game that shoots up the Hotness list might be a great game that just got announced or released, and the list gives me the opportunity to find out about those kind of games when I might otherwise miss out on them. Don't make the mistake of thinking of it as anything other than a traffic meter. Games have been known to shoot up the list because it's Tanga's game deal of the day, or because some company is running a contest here on BGG tied to a game's release.

Just don't form any preconceived notions that The Hotness list, game ratings or rankings are anything more than what they are: the end result of compiled data and statistics, designed to help folks get an idea of what might be popular or good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Tis funny, we were just talking about shills earlier in this thread. Sice Brian eventually repeated all of the relevant information regarding The Hotness that had already been stated, it seems the main point of his post was that he was offended that the OP didn't see the hotness of Abaddon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Awwh! You made me click on the game and... and now it'll stay on The Hotness list even longer!!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

glsonn wrote:
Thanks for asking. We haven't had a "what" question in a while.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tel999 wrote:

glsonn wrote:

(Obligatory) African or European?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glsonn wrote:
tel999 wrote:

glsonn wrote:

(Obligatory) African or European?

American

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ClineCon wrote:
'Tis funny, we were just talking about shills earlier in this thread. Sice Brian eventually repeated all of the relevant information regarding The Hotness that had already been stated, it seems the main point of his post was that he was offended that the OP didn't see the hotness of Abaddon.

huh!? The only poster who sounds like he's taking offence at anything isn't Brian...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the 'hotness' was an introduction to new games, but maybe I'm wrong. Good question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
I always thought the 'hotness' was an introduction to new games, but maybe I'm wrong. Good question.

No, it's page views. New games is Gone Cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Hotness is just a list of most visited game pages. Thanks, it makes more sense now.

And no offense meant to Abaddon or its fans/designers; I just sited it as an example because it didn't have "stats" that I thought were part of the Hotness rating. At least I can takes solace in that I wasn't alone in my obliviousness...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
kaziam wrote:
Just wondering...

Abaddon is designed by Richard Borg. Richard Borg is notorious for designing the Commands and Colors mechanics used by Commands and Colors: Ancients and Napoleonics, Battle Cry, Memoir '44 and Battlelore...

Er, you mean renowned (not notorious) arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.