Subject: Love the game, hate the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tardif
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hey, just played the game for the first few times after getting it, and I ran into some confusion about the rules that the manual does not seem to address.

1. How are cards drawn during the Mine Phase?

It reads "When Dwarves mine, the Player draws the appropriate number of Cards from the Mine Deck." Also, it reads "Cave-Ins immediately halt all mining in that Tunnel". Should I draw cards one at a time, or draw the appropriate number of cards per dwarf, and then resolve them all at once? I believe it reads the second way, but it only really makes sense to resolve it the first way.

2. What is kept hidden knowledge?

It reads, at one point "Gemstone Cards are then placed into the Player's hand and are kept secret". Are other cards in your hand also kept secret, like dwarf cards and tool cards? How about coins, are they kept secret? And tunnels; it's plausible someone forgets which tunnel cards have been destroyed and which have been played. Am I allowed to see which cards in a player's hand are of different types by looking at the backs of the cards, also? We decided to play such that tools and the dwarf cards are in your hand, so therefore kept secret.

Also, can I look at provision cards and gemstone cards in the discard pile to get odds on what other cards might be in the draw pile? Oh, and is there even a discard pile?

3. How many Dwarf and Tool Cards do I add each day?

The "Buy Phase" description reads: "Flip a number of Dwarf Cards equal to the number of players. If there are already enough Dwarf Cards, do not flip any more Cards." In a two player game, for instance, I read this as: if there is one dwarf card out, I flip two cards over (a number equal to the number of players), resulting in three dwarf cards total.

But then, later in the manual, under the heading "Day Two - Day Six": "Flip over Dwarf Cards and Tool Cards to make up for those removed during the previous day, but, If there are already enough Dwarf Cards or Tool Cards face-up, do not flip any more cards." This would seem to say that I can never get more than two dwarf cards in the queue. Also, and this seems like it would be an obvious "no", but do you flip tool cards over if there are more tool cards than there are players + 2?

4. How many things can you do during the Sell Phase? And can I sell during the Buy Phase?

Provision cards read "Tools and Gemstones may be bought and sold during the Buy Phase and the Sell Phase". This seems to imply that Gemstones can be bought during the buy phase and tools can be sold during the buy phase. I believe this should read "Tools may be bought during the Buy Phase and Tools and/or (?) Gemstones can be bought and/or (?) sold during the Sell Phase". I only say this because the Buy Phase section does not mention selling cards at all. Note my question marks, because that leads into my next question.

Exactly what can I do during the Sell Phase? The "Sell Phase" heading reads "you may sell any Gemstones or sell-back any Picks or Lanterns" in the green text (note: not buy picks or lanterns). Then, in the paragraph below, it reads "He may sell Gemstones, sell-back Picks or Lanterns, or buy new Picks or Lanterns from the face-up supply". Even more confusing, the summary on page 9 says "In turn order, each player may sell-back as many Tools or sell as many Gemstones as he wishes" (note: not buy picks or lanterns). Can I do all three of these actions as many times as I want? We had to play with the answer being "no", and here's why. Some of the provision cards list buy prices lower than selling prices. If I could both buy and sell during a Sell Phase, and one of these provision cards were in play, I would immediately have infinite money by selling and rebuying the same card ad infinitum. So then we made up the rule "you cannot both buy and sell picks and/or lanterns during the Sell Phase".

However, this still leads to the question: can I sell Gemstones AND sell/buy Picks and/or Lanterns during the Sell Phase?

5. How do I move over collapsed tunnels?

So, as I understand it, dwarves can move through collapsed tunnels. However, how does this actually work? If I remove tunnel #3 in a full 5 tunnel mine, and I have a Master Dwarf on tunnel #2, does he jump to tunnel #4, or does he go in the empty slot at tunnel #3? And how about if I have tunnels #1 and #2, and 3 collapses, and a Master Dwarf is on Tunnel #2. Do I have to go the blank space next to tunnel #2 to dig tunnel #4, or can I immediately dig tunnel #4 from tunnel #2?

I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed the game and will be played again, so if I seem like I'm being very critical, it's just so that others can search and find answers to questions that they might also have.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
David,

Thanks for a fantastic set of great questions!

I learned something important about "becoming a game designer" and that is this: designing games is fun; designing rules is work!"

The biggest challenge was fitting all of the rules onto the space available without being too over-complicated and trying not to be too simplistic. Look like Rules 2.0 are due!

Here are my best answers to your questions, and I appreciate you taking an opportunity to help others who may have the same issues.

See my responses in red below:

dtardif wrote:
Hey, just played the game for the first few times after getting it, and I ran into some confusion about the rules that the manual does not seem to address.

It reads "When Dwarves mine, the Player draws the appropriate number of Cards from the Mine Deck." Also, it reads "Cave-Ins immediately halt all mining in that Tunnel". Should I draw cards one at a time, or draw the appropriate number of cards per dwarf, and then resolve them all at once? I believe it reads the second way, but it only really makes sense to resolve it the first way.

It should read as your first interpretation hints:

When Dwarves mine, the Player draws the appropriate number of cards from the Mine Deck until/unless he draws a Cave-In card. Cave-Ins immediately halt all mining in that Tunnel.

So, if you are to draw three cards, you would draw the first card--if it's a Cave-In, stop drawing cards; if not, then draw the second card--if it's a Cave-In, stop drawing cards; if not, then the draw the third card.

It reads, at one point "Gemstone Cards are then placed into the Player's hand and are kept secret". Are other cards in your hand also kept secret, like dwarf cards and tool cards? How about coins, are they kept secret? And tunnels; it's plausible someone forgets which tunnel cards have been destroyed and which have been played. Am I allowed to see which cards in a player's hand are of different types by looking at the backs of the cards, also? We decided to play such that tools and the dwarf cards are in your hand, so therefore kept secret.

Also, can I look at provision cards and gemstone cards in the discard pile to get odds on what other cards might be in the draw pile? Oh, and is there even a discard pile?

Great question!

Most of the information in DIG: the Card Game is open knowledge, including the number of Coins a player has. In testing, we found that a lot of the fun is knowing how far ahead of you others players are and realizing how few days you have to catch up!

1.) Once any card is placed into your hand, it is considered secret. The icons on the backs of the card were kept small and centered so that when you fan your hand of cards, other players do not necessarily see what type of cards they are.
2.) Flipped (used) Provision cards are secret--no flipping through to see what's been flipped already.
3.) Un-drawn Dwarf, Tool, and Mine cards are secret--no searching the draw decks to see what's coming up.

There is no discard pile except for flipped Provision Cards. Cards that are sold back to the "shop" are shuffled to the bottom of the Mine Deck to be re-used in later Days. Cards that are destroyed in Cave-Ins are removed from the game.

The "Buy Phase" description reads: "Flip a number of Dwarf Cards equal to the number of players. If there are already enough Dwarf Cards, do not flip any more Cards." In a two player game, for instance, I read this as: if there is one dwarf card out, I flip two cards over (a number equal to the number of players), resulting in three dwarf cards total.

But then, later in the manual, under the heading "Day Two - Day Six": "Flip over Dwarf Cards and Tool Cards to make up for those removed during the previous day, but, If there are already enough Dwarf Cards or Tool Cards face-up, do not flip any more cards." This would seem to say that I can never get more than two dwarf cards in the queue. Also, and this seems like it would be an obvious "no", but do you flip tool cards over if there are more tool cards than there are players + 2?

You interpreted this correctly. In a 2-Player game, you'll never flip more than two Dwarf cards, and sometimes only one or none. Regarding "if there are tool cards more than there are players": each Day there should be a number of face-up tool cards equal to the number of players +2. So, at the start of the Day, if there are three tool cards face-up, flip one. If there are two face-up, flip two, and so on. The "Flip" rule can feel a little odd, but you got it right.

4. How many things can you do during the Sell Phase? And can I sell during the Buy Phase?

Provision cards read "Tools and Gemstones may be bought and sold during the Buy Phase and the Sell Phase". This seems to imply that Gemstones can be bought during the buy phase and tools can be sold during the buy phase. I believe this should read "Tools may be bought during the Buy Phase and Tools and/or (?) Gemstones can be bought and/or (?) sold during the Sell Phase". I only say this because the Buy Phase section does not mention selling cards at all. Note my question marks, because that leads into my next question.

This is one of those times when the English language can be somewhat of a hindrance to communication--especially when space is at a premium (on a card). This is also one of those rules that went through at least ten incarnations; obviously none of them perfect (yes)!

You are right, it should read: "Tools may be bought during the Buy Phase and Gemstones and Tools may be sold during the Sell Phase."

Exactly what can I do during the Sell Phase? The "Sell Phase" heading reads "you may sell any Gemstones or sell-back any Picks or Lanterns" in the green text (note: not buy picks or lanterns). Then, in the paragraph below, it reads "He may sell Gemstones, sell-back Picks or Lanterns, or buy new Picks or Lanterns from the face-up supply". Even more confusing, the summary on page 9 says "In turn order, each player may sell-back as many Tools or sell as many Gemstones as he wishes" (note: not buy picks or lanterns). Can I do all three of these actions as many times as I want? We had to play with the answer being "no", and here's why. Some of the provision cards list buy prices lower than selling prices. If I could both buy and sell during a Sell Phase, and one of these provision cards were in play, I would immediately have infinite money by selling and rebuying the same card ad infinitum. So then we made up the rule "you cannot both buy and sell picks and/or lanterns during the Sell Phase".

However, this still leads to the question: can I sell Gemstones AND sell/buy Picks and/or Lanterns during the Sell Phase?

Wow, I did complicate that, didn't I?

Here are the definites:

1.) You may only buy during the Buy Phase.
2.) You may only buy or sell during the Sell Phase.
3.) You may not create infinite Gold Loops during the Sell Phase. The shop keeper would not let you do this; he's a feisty Dwarf, and for good reason!
4.) You may do as many things as you can/like except for buying and then selling the same Tool--to create an infinite Gold Loop.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure if you could buy during the Sell phase in an earlier incarnation of the game. It is possible we just forgot to adjust the rules. I need to re-read everything and determine a final answer on this one.

So, as I understand it, dwarves can move through collapsed tunnels. However, how does this actually work? If I remove tunnel #3 in a full 5 tunnel mine, and I have a Master Dwarf on tunnel #2, does he jump to tunnel #4, or does he go in the empty slot at tunnel #3? And how about if I have tunnels #1 and #2, and 3 collapses, and a Master Dwarf is on Tunnel #2. Do I have to go the blank space next to tunnel #2 to dig tunnel #4, or can I immediately dig tunnel #4 from tunnel #2?

This was also hard to communicate. Sorry!

It is assumed, thematically, that Dwarves can both access each Tunnel independently of the other Tunnels and that Dwarves can dig through collapsed Tunnel rubble to access an older, already-dug Tunnel, so:

If you have a Dwarf in Tunnel 3 who wants to move to Tunnel 5, but Tunnel 4 is collapsed--gone from the game--you simply consider Tunnel 5 as an adjacent Tunnel and move the Dwarf from 3 to 5. The same is true if a Dwarf in Tunnel 2 wants to move to Tunnel 5, but Tunnels 3 and 4 are gone. You simply move the Dwarf from 2 to 5 in one move.

In other words, ignore collapsed Tunnel spaces.

I'd just like to say that I really enjoyed the game and will be played again, so if I seem like I'm being very critical, it's just so that others can search and find answers to questions that they might also have.

I enjoy a good critique, and you've been nothing but helpful to me in both growing as a Rules Writer. Thanks for playing and let me know if I got something wrong or was not clear.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dtardif wrote:

Yeah... the game really is pretty straightforward, but the rules have just never gelled well.

Quote:

Here's how we do it: Each Dwarf is able to draw a certain number of cards from the Mine Deck. Those draws are done separately--if two Dwarves are on a Tunnel and each can draw 2 cards, the player first draws and reveals two cards, then another pair of cards. So if there is a Cave-In in the first pair of cards, then the second pair is never drawn. Thus, it can be advantageous to spread the Dwarves out across multiple Tunnels, but the gameplay isn't bogged down by having to draw and reveal cards individually.

Quote:

Jason is planning an expansion that will allow a player to steal cards from another player's hand. This rule is in place in anticipation of that happening. Players are aware of what sort of Gems everyone has been drawing, so they know who is the best target. But they have to guess which Gem card in a player's hand is the most valuable. With the initial release of the game, I don't know how important it is to keep information hidden. That can probably be left up to the discretion of your game group.

Coins and chests are open and available for all to see.

Quote:

There is a discard pile. I don't have the rulebook handy, but I think that is shown in one of the diagrams. It may not be spelled out in the rules. Sorry! Looking through the discard pile is not prohibited, but it should not slow or disrupt gameplay.

Quote:

There's been some discussion about this rule. I don't know if it's ever been settled, but I think most of the testing was done for a reading like this: "Flip a number of Dwarf Cards so that there is one card per player."

However, this still leads to the question: can I sell Gemstones AND sell/buy Picks and/or Lanterns during the Sell Phase?[/q]

Here's how my group does it:

During the Buy Phase (which perhaps should be renamed to something like the "Market Phase" in future editions) you are allowed to buy OR sell Gems or Tools. That way you can acquire the gold you need to buy any Tools or Dwarves you need for that turn.

During the Sell Phase, you may ONLY sell Gems or Tools, or retire Dwarves. You may not purchase new Tools or hire new Dwarves.

Quote:

In my group, we treat the Tunnel as non-extant. Dwarves skip over them to the next available Tunnel.

Quote:

Glad you liked it! Jason's put a lot of effort into the game, and I've helped a bit. I hope you continue to enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks, Nate!

You did a great job of both interpreting the ambiguous rules and providing your own variants.

That, to me, is the brilliance of games--if it isn't exactly to your tastes or feels "off," you can explore a "better" option.

While I am not advocating lazy rules-writing or inadequate testing (at all) and while in the case of DIG: TCG, the rules are definitely in need of a polish for version 2, it is good to know you can enjoy the game without a perfect rule set.

Thanks again!
Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a little confused now. Rules state a dwarf can move "one adjacent tunnel per day" but your reply below confuses me.

CalebSkye wrote:

dtardif wrote:

It is assumed, thematically, that Dwarves can both access each Tunnel independently of the other Tunnels and that Dwarves can dig through collapsed Tunnel rubble to access an older, already-dug Tunnel, so:

If you have a Dwarf in Tunnel 3 who wants to move to Tunnel 5, but Tunnel 4 is collapsed--gone from the game--you simply consider Tunnel 5 as an adjacent Tunnel and move the Dwarf from 3 to 5. The same is true if a Dwarf in Tunnel 2 wants to move to Tunnel 5, but Tunnels 3 and 4 are gone. You simply move the Dwarf from 2 to 5 in one move.

Does this mean that a master dwarf can move from tunnel 1 to tunnel 5 even when the other tunnels are not collapsed? ( assuming this is their only move for the turn/day ) Or is multiple space movement only allowed to get past collapsed tunnels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Only to get past/through collapsed tunnel rubble.

Sorry to be confusing.

Dwarves may move one adjacent tunnel space per day. Ignore collapsed tunnels. That means COMPLETELY ignore collapsed tunnels, so whatever tunnel is next (ignoring collapsed tunnel spaces) is considered adjacent.

That make more sense?

ErnieB wrote:
Im a little confused now. Rules state a dwarf can move "one adjacent tunnel per day" but your reply below confuses me.

CalebSkye wrote:

dtardif wrote:

Does this mean that a master dwarf can move from tunnel 1 to tunnel 5 even when the other tunnels are not collapsed? ( assuming this is their only move for the turn/day ) Or is multiple space movement only allowed to get past collapsed tunnels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay thats what I thought. Managed to get a game in with the family and have a few more questions.

During dig phase, can the dwarf ( and all their tools ), from your hand, be placed in any tunnel, including building a brand new tunnel; or must they start at level 1 and work their way down the levels 1 at a time each turn?

Also during the dig phase, can i take a tool from a dwarf in a tunnel and use it to put into play a different dwarf? ( for ex. take a pick from an apprentice in lvl 2 and play a master with all tools now from my hand )

During the buy/sell phase, can I sell tools that are currently with dwarves in play? ( leaving them unable to mine in the next mine phase )

On turn 1 dig phase, can I play a dwarf and all his tools onto a tunnel lvl 1 and then use his 1 movement for the turn to also create a lvl 2 tunnel? ( basically have 1 dwarf dig 2 tunnels on the first turns dig phase )

During Mine phase, if a master dwarf or journeyman that is in a lvl 4/5 ( basically multi card draws per dwarf ) draws a cave-in card that does not effect their location, do they still get to finish drawing their cards or does the act of creating a cave-in ( even if it isnt in their location ) halt their mining efforts?

Think that is all the questions I had/can remember.

Game was enjoyable and wife liked it so thats a big plus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
okay thats what I thought. Managed to get a game in with the family and have a few more questions.

During dig phase, can the dwarf ( and all their tools ), from your hand, be placed in any tunnel, including building a brand new tunnel; or must they start at level 1 and work their way down the levels 1 at a time each turn?

In keeping with the every tunnel has its own access idea, any dwarf (and their tools) may be placed in any tunnel, including a brand new tunnel.

Also during the dig phase, can i take a tool from a dwarf in a tunnel and use it to put into play a different dwarf? ( for ex. take a pick from an apprentice in lvl 2 and play a master with all tools now from my hand )

As long as that tool has not been used already today, yes. If it was used to dig a tunnel already (or later in the Mine phase to mine a tunnel already), then no.

During the buy/sell phase, can I sell tools that are currently with dwarves in play? ( leaving them unable to mine in the next mine phase )

Yes.

On turn 1 dig phase, can I play a dwarf and all his tools onto a tunnel lvl 1 and then use his 1 movement for the turn to also create a lvl 2 tunnel? ( basically have 1 dwarf dig 2 tunnels on the first turns dig phase )

Each Dwarf may only dig one Tunnel per Day. But, you can just dig the Level 2 Tunnel--you don't have to put him into Tunnel Level 1 first. Just lay down Tunnel Level 2 with a Dwarf, Pick, and Lantern. Just remember, each Dwarf may only dig one Tunnel per Day.

During Mine phase, if a master dwarf or journeyman that is in a lvl 4/5 ( basically multi card draws per dwarf ) draws a cave-in card that does not effect their location, do they still get to finish drawing their cards or does the act of creating a cave-in ( even if it isnt in their location ) halt their mining efforts?

A Cave-In stops all mining in that Tunnel. It doesn't matter where (or if) the Cave-In occurs or not. The idea is that thematically, a Cave-In anywhere in the mountain would stop all work at least temporarily.

Think that is all the questions I had/can remember.

Game was enjoyable and wife liked it so thats a big plus!

That's great. I'm glad that you are enjoying it. Sorry some of the rules aren't clear--I'm working on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the replies, got 1 more for ya...

If im going to sell some stuff during the buy phase, does selling an item count as my 1 item and thus my opponents then get to go and I have to wait to buy or can I sell as much as I want and get my 1 buy before my opponent gets his buy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
Thx for the replies, got 1 more for ya...

If im going to sell some stuff during the buy phase, does selling an item count as my 1 item and thus my opponents then get to go and I have to wait to buy or can I sell as much as I want and get my 1 buy before my opponent gets his buy?

You may only Buy during the Buy Phase.

You may buy or sell during the Sell Phase.

So, no selling in the Buy Phase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ahh ok, I mis understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.