Subject: Why should I use captured units / Reserve deck reshuffle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philipp Bäcker
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I don´t get the point of using a captured unit for myself, because I forfeit a safe double points bonus for putting it out of play. Especially a damaged unit is in danger to be lost quite quickly, what will even give the opponent points for destroying!

Secondly I wondered why the reserve deck isn´t reschuffled when depleted, because without reshuffling crewed units which have retreated and planes will stick together with their crew. So later in the game I will always try to draw two unit cards to get a crewed unit with their crew, what seemed to be a great advantage compared to infantry units. Anyone tried the game with using a discard pile and reshuffling when depleted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phimbs wrote:
I don´t get the point of using a captured unit for myself, because I forfeit a safe double points bonus for putting it out of play. Especially a damaged unit is in danger to be lost quite quickly, what will even give the opponent points for destroying!

In a standard (points-based) game, taking the double points is usually a safer bet. Some Situation-based games (scenarios) don't bother with points. In those game types, a captured unit can help you achieve an objective if you can crew it.

phimbs wrote:
Secondly I wondered why the reserve deck isn´t reschuffled when depleted, because without reshuffling crewed units which have retreated and planes will stick together with their crew. So later in the game I will always try to draw two unit cards to get a crewed unit with their crew, what seemed to be a great advantage compared to infantry units. Anyone tried the game with using a discard pile and reshuffling when depleted?

If you completely 'draw through' your Reserves Deck, this can happen. In the case of aircraft, the thought was to simulate the aircraft 'returning to base' for more fuel and ammo. That same aircraft and pilot may well return to action. Also, throughout the game, there are a lot of Command Cards that when played by you or your opponent, require you to re-shuffle your Reserves Deck- for example, Commit Reserves, Sabotage, Intel Report, and others... it's fairly likely that a card has already required you to re-shuffle your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.