Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game today and...
I LOVED IT!!!

I know we are all looking forward to getting another crack at it, but here are our scores from our first game:

1st Place BLACK: 33 pts
9 Reputation
1 Ambassador
10 Sectors
2 Discovery
6 Monoliths
5 Technology

2nd Place GREEN: 32 pts
14 Reputation
16 Sectors
2 Technology

3rd Place YELLOW: 29 pts
7 Reputation
12 Sectors
2 Discovery
8 Technology

4th Place RED: 25 pts
14 Reputation
1 Ambassador
12 Sectors
-2 Traitor

Unfortunately, we made the common mistake of limiting wormholes between our territories, so most of the interaction had to go through the Galactic Center. YELLOW had an amazing economy and was going to zoom ahead with 3 or 4 Monoliths if he wasn't forced to spend on defense. So, RED (who owned the Galactic Center) made several builds and moves to hurt YELLOW. YELLOW ended up spending everything on ships to defend and never built a single Monolith. He ended up defending his territory nicely, but because he had not been doing much combat earlier in the game, nearly all the good Reputation tiles were gone by the time he was earning them. YELLOW ended up 3rd place and RED 4th place.

Meanwhile, GREEN and BLACK did have access to each other through a contested inner (region I) hex. BLACK had originally colonized it, but GREEN earned some nice Reputation (and the initial Traitor label) by wiping out the colony and claiming it for his own. An arms race ensued between GREEN and BLACK, neither player willing to make a move against the other. GREEN's missiles scared away BLACK, and BLACK's antimatter cannons scared away GREEN. In the final round, GREEN researched crazy good computers and loaded even more missile launchers onto his fleet to make FIRST-STRIKE-MACHINES-OF-DEATH. BLACK sensed what was coming, so he moved his entire fleet in to ATTACK GREEN! This pinned GREEN's fleet in his own hex, guaranteeing nothing more than reputation for the victory (and not another GREEN colony!)

Without RED attacking YELLOW, YELLOW would have won.

If GREEN had moved to attack BLACK first in the final round, and then decked out his ships in subsequent actions, he surely would have taken a few more VP away from BLACK and won the game.

What I learned from this game:

1) Don't limit wormhole interaction too much unless you are certain you will win the "multi-player solitaire" empire building contest. You may need multiple avenues to attack neighbors to keep them honest.

2) Monoliths are GREAT victory points.

3) Computers are GREAT ship components.

4) Ambassadors are a distraction, and fear of the stupid traitor card is easily overvalued.

5) Moving early to attack in a round, and THEN researching sweet tech and upgrading those very ships can catch opponents off-guard.

6) Moving on a hopeless offensive to pin opponents back in their own space can win you the game :-)

OH, I can't wait to play this game again!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Don't limit wormhole interaction too much unless you are certain you will win the "multi-player solitaire" empire building contest. You may need multiple avenues to attack neighbors to keep them honest.

Same thing happened in our fist game, since then we have adjusted our plans.
Also having an early diplomacy does play off. The extra cubes are great.

Quote:
2) Monoliths are GREAT victory points.

True however come at a very high cost and it seem almost impossible to build many of them.

Quote:
3) Computers are GREAT ship components.

And shield are great as a counter to this.

Quote:
4) Ambassadors are a distraction, and fear of the stupid traitor card is easily overvalued.

I totally disagree here, the ambassadors are fantastic. First of all more than anything is the extra cube you now get to place is huge! The minus 2 VP is very minor as a deterend however just enough to make diplomacy actually work in perfect balance. We use diplomacy early and break it easily. Sometimes we even break a diplomacy only to renew it right away aft combat. The extra cube just is that good and also allows you to move cubes between tracks.
I've played 3 games thus far and the winner in all games ended up with the traitor card.

Quote:
5) Moving early to attack in a round, and THEN researching sweet tech and upgrading those very ships can catch opponents off-guard.

Attacking early is for trying to get the 4VP reputation tiles. At the end of the game all you have left are 1 and 2's.

Quote:
6) Moving on a hopeless offensive to pin opponents back in their own space can win you the game :-)

I agree it is powerfull however it can you make lose the game. Remember they can build as a react and build more ships and then move through your pinning action, I employed this tactic several times and as a result the build action is usually used later in the round and attacks when it seems like people are running out of actions or have passed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments. I can see you really enjoy this game as much as I do! I can't wait to play again!

lexen wrote:
Sometimes we even break a diplomacy only to renew it right away aft combat.

Remember, though, that you are not allowed to form diplomatic relations with a player holding the Traitor card. Once that card is in the game, it needs to change hands to a 3rd player before the initial Traitor can be given another ambassador.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
brokasaphasia wrote:
Thanks for your comments. I can see you really enjoy this game as much as I do! I can't wait to play again!

lexen wrote:
Sometimes we even break a diplomacy only to renew it right away aft combat.

Remember, though, that you are not allowed to form diplomatic relations with a player holding the Traitor card. Once that card is in the game, it needs to change hands to a 3rd player before the initial Traitor can be given another ambassador.

Was just in the middle of typing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks
We missed that rule.
With all the great iconography in this game, it should have been on the traitor card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexen wrote:
Thanks
We missed that rule.
With all the great iconography in this game, it should have been on the traitor card.

I agree, was reviewing the rule book today until I have a chance to play and noticed that little rule. Most everything else has a little icon somewhere on the board/reminder sheets, this rule is easily lost in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 6-player last night. 1st time for 5 players, 2nd time for me. Everyone played Terrans. I definitely like the 4 player experience more (faster game, more even distribution of resources among all the players, easier for almost all players to "pick on" the leader, etc.)

Here are the scores:

1st Place RED: 34 pts
12 Reputation
1 Ambassador
14 Sectors
7 Technology

2nd Place GREEN: 30 pts
11 Reputation
16 Sectors
5 Technology
-2 Traitor

3rd Place BLACK: 29 pts
12 Reputation
1 Ambassador
11 Sectors
5 Technology

4th Place BLUE: 26 pts
8 Reputation
1 Ambassador
10 Sectors
4 Discovery
3 Technology

5th Place YELLOW: 23 pts
7 Reputation
1 Ambassador
7 Sectors
8 Technology

6th Place WHITE: 15 pts
7 Reputation
2 Sectors
6 Technology

RED researched Anti-Matter Cannons which helped him take the GCDS. This was a huge boon to his economy and the two players with the best chance at mounting an attack on him were happy turtling and playing for 2nd and 3rd place. (Green did take advantage of RED in the 9th round, which probably got him to 2nd place, but it was too late to do further damage.) Same mistake in early tile placement where players worked hard to isolate themselves rather than leave options for Ambassador sharing and Reputation gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your scores seem to have a surprisingly low number of discovery points. I admittedly haven't played a full 6 player game yet, but I get the impression that you may be undervaluing the 2 VP side as a group. It is probably better than many of the flip side discoveries in many situations, particularly near the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first 2-player game. It was definitely fun... much better than I anticipated with so much space to explore and the temptation to ignore each other.

BLACK started off spending all his actions gobbling up the few III Sector tiles while YELLOW focused on controlled exploration of Sector I tiles and researching tech. to defeat ancients.

BLACK had tons of hexes under his control and was making LOTS of tech each round, but wasn't researching combat techs too much.

YELLOW eventually had a fleet of cruisers that could take out the GCDS and did that. On the next round, emboldened by their victory over the GCDS, YELLOW flew into BLACK's territory unconcerned about their measly ION cannons and crap computers. Unfortunately for YELLOW, BLACK found a Shard Hull, researched both Plasma Cannons and the +3 Computer and installed all these upgrades on their Cruisers which were built to defend the contested hex. BLACK easily wiped out YELLOW's invasion fleet, and you can guess what came next...

In the end, here were the scores:

1st Place BLACK: 48 pts
13 Reputation
18 Sectors
2 Discovery
3 Monoliths
12 Technology

2nd Place YELLOW: 26 pts
12 Reputation
7 Sectors
4 Discovery
3 Technology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game with ALIENS! last night. It was fun to talk about all the different options at the beginning of the game and envisioning different strategies with each other.

It was a 4 player game. We picked our races, but used our favorite color for pieces. We did switch to use the correct Ambassador tiles so the artwork matched our races.

RED = Descedants of Draco
BLUE = The Mechanema
BLACK = Hyrdran Progress
WHITE = Eridani Empire

RED did a great job of controlled exploration and finding Ancient hexes to populate. He found two of the double-alien hexes within pretty short order. I think he was really getting into the role of "defending the Ancients", plus the Ancient hexes have great population opportunities so his economy was working great. Also, he is always the best of us at figuring out combat in games, so he was the first player ready to start fighting. He built missile laden Dreadnoughts and easily took control of the Galactic Center. I think he did this in turn 4!

BLUE had decent exploration early and a reasonable economy going. His tech wasn't as deadly as RED, but he used his cheap building costs to make a giant fleet of Interceptors and Cruisers. Fearing RED would be unstoppable if something wasn't done, he moved the bulk of his fleet into one of RED's Sector I hexes. RED moved to protect that hex and his beloved Ancients leaving the G.C. weakly defended. BLUE moved the rest of his fleet into the G.C. Just as planned, RED kept his Sector I hex, but lost the G. C. Blue populated the G.C. and did a brilliant job for the rest of the game keeping his hulls JUST THICK ENOUGH and rebuilding destroyed ships fast enough to repel RED's remaining onslaught.

BLUE essentially kept RED from winning the game.

BLACK had the WORST exploration early in the game and was continually bemoaning his bad luck in not finding population hexes. (He ended the game finding something like 9 different discovery tiles however, keeping 5 of them for VP.) He was spread out, but wasn't producing enough money, science, and materials to be much of a threat. Unfortunately, this slow start convinced WHITE that he shouldn't worry about him, when clearly he should have. Instead, once WHITE was finally ready to attack someone, he decided to make a measly foray into RED's territory, leaving BLACK to build up tech quickly and eventually become a military threat (needing only to defend his massive territory).

In the end, BLACK won with superior territory and technology points.

BLUE kept RED from winning the game.

WHITE _SHOULD HAVE_ attacked BLACK early when BLACK was weak.

1st Place BLACK: 53 pts
10 Reputation
20 Sectors
10 Discovery
13 Technology

2nd Place WHITE: 33 pts
12 Reputation
9 Sectors
11 Technology
3 Monoliths
-2 Traitor

3rd Place BLUE: 33 pts
12 Reputation
13 Sectors
3 Technology
2 Discovery
3 Monoliths
(fewer resources than WHITE)

4th Place RED: 31 pts
13 Reputation
10 Sectors
3 Technology
5 Ancients (Descendants racial bonus)

I feel stupid as the WHITE player for:
A) Researching Monolith tech instead of Wormhole
B) Not invading BLACK early when he was vulnerable

Ugh! I want to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.