Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Matching Poll
I just came up with an idea for a memory matchng game and I can't decide between two play styles. Is it more fun to match pairs or for each player to have a card full of combos each is trying to find different matches for?
Which format of memory style game sounds more fun?
Matching Pairs
Matching a Unique Card
      11 answers
Poll created by levimote

Matching Pairs = the standard memory type game where each player flips two tiles on his / her turn and collects them only if they match each other.

Matching a Unique Card = each player flips two tiles on his / her turn and collects them only if they match a combination listed on his / her card. Each player is dealt a random "combo" card at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option that seems interesting is to use the standard pairs matching to gather tiles, then score points with those tiles by matching them to your "combo" card.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

What will be user suggested ages?

What kind of combos are you thinking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muchu wrote:
Hello,

What will be user suggested ages?

What kind of combos are you thinking about?

Suggested ages would be 8+. I'd like the game to be fast, and make players think ahead about scoring while trying to memorize locations.

Combos would be chains of 2-4(?) items that would be combined to create something else worth Victory Points. I hope that is what you meant.

The combos would represent silly recipes for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An elderly wizard was zipping and zapping around the woods collecting mushrooms for his evening stew and when he returned home he realized that his bag of magic jelly beans had a hole in it. Now those magic jelly beans are scattered all over the forest floor. He needs you and your friends to find them and bring them back. As a reward, he will mash the jelly beans up for you to make some fun treats and magic spells to amuse each other.

A couple of requests for help.
First with math, if I have the following types of Jelly Beans how many combinations of 2, 3 and 4 are there?

R Red = Heat, Spice
Y Yellow = Acidity, Daylight
O Orange = Fire, Dawn
G Green = Growth, Mint
B Blue = Moon, Sadness
V Violet = Fruity, Dusk
K Black = Chocolate, Mud
N Brown = Peanut Butter, Dirt
D Dots = Weird, Comical
S Stripes = Altrernating, Streaks
P Plaid = Complexity, Tradition, Scottland
W Rainbow = Happiness, Childishness
L Lightning = Weather, Divinity, Electricity
C Chameleon = Substitute for Anything

Second, looking for cool combinations of these types / themes that would be appropriate for children.

Quick Examples:
R+G = Christmas Tree
R+O = Belch of Fire
R+W = Jalapeno Lollipop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like your game's going to have a lot of tiles :

- Maybe you can have have common, uncommon and rare tiles and have recipes with rare beans get you more points

- To score a recipe you would have to match pairs all at once so that first you look through the forest seeking what you need and then gather it all but you would have to do it fast unless someone else get it first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muchu wrote:
It looks like your game's going to have a lot of tiles :

- Maybe you can have have common, uncommon and rare tiles and have recipes with rare beans get you more points

- To score a recipe you would have to match pairs all at once so that first you look through the forest seeking what you need and then gather it all but you would have to do it fast unless someone else get it first

Yes! I like the rarity idea. Maybe only 1 or 2 Chameleon, Dots, Stripes, Lightning, & Rainbow Beans and 4 each of the basic color beans.

If you do the scoring all at once I would either have to allow people to flip more than two tiles on their turn OR make all recipes only 2 tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Started a WIP thread here.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/742657/wip-jelly-bean-ma...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.