Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mobile Alien Starbases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On our first playthrough we all played as Terran races and happily fitted engines to our starbases, however when explaining the rules we were told that this is a benefit of the Terran races and that the aliens can't fit drives to their starbases.

Having read the rules myself I can't see any reason the aliens can't have mobile starbases, am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starbases can't have drives, full stop. Its covered in the rules somewhere.

Found it...

Pg 6 under Ships. "Starbases are immobile"

And

Pg 13 under Upgrade in the list of restrictions...

"Interceptors, CRuisers and Dreadnoughts must have a drive, Starbases may not have a drive"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, nobody can have mobile starbases.

From page 13 of the rules:
"• Interceptors, Cruisers and Dreadnoughts must have a
Drive, Starbases may not have a Drive."

The fact that the Terran factions start with the Starbase technology simply means that they may build these without researching the tech first. Each of the alien races starts with a different mix of technologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Starbases are allowed the option of drives as it is worded "MAY NOT" rather than "MUST NOT".

The way I understood it interceptors, cruisers and dreadnoughts MUST have a drive.

Starbases MAY NOT have a drive, but by definition MAY also have a drive. Saying MAY NOT suggests "It is possible for a starbase to not have a drive".

Surely it should say "Starbases MUST NOT have a drive" if it were not allowed?

I think it is probably the designers intention that they don't have a drive but it would probably be better worded CANNOT or MUST NOT have a drive. May/May not is a bit wooly, a bit like Carlsberg with their "Possibly the best lager in the world"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clarke
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually here another statement on P14:

"Starbases may not have Drives and therefore cannot move."

Armed with page 6, 13 and 14 I will beat the guy to death who first read the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersSchm wrote:
I think Starbases are allowed the option of drives as it is worded "MAY NOT" rather than "MUST NOT".

The way I understood it interceptors, cruisers and dreadnoughts MUST have a drive.

Starbases MAY NOT have a drive, but by definition MAY also have a drive. Saying MAY NOT suggests "It is possible for a starbase to not have a drive".

I think it is probably the designers intention that they don't have a drive but it would probably be better worded CANNOT or MUST NOT have a drive. May/May not is a bit wooly, a bit like Carlsberg with their "Possibly the best lager in the world"

In my opinion, MAY NOT and MUST NOT are the same thing in the context described (albeit there is a different nuance). I don't think there is any wiggle room with the use of the words MAY NOT. MAY NOT means that you are not allowed to do something by another entity (i.e. the rules). MUST NOT simply means that you can't do something without reference to why.

Looking at it from the opposite direction, MUST and MAY are very different things. MUST means that you have to do something as prescribed. MAY means that you have choice.

Either way, as you said, the intention is that the Starbases are not allowed to move...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gee
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersSchm wrote:

Huh? What on earth would "may not" mean if it didn't mean "cannot"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersSchm wrote:

You are confusing the meaning of the phrase, I think. 'May' does indeed mean 'is allowed to', but 'may not' means 'is not allowed to' (rather than 'is allowed to not')

So the wording in the rules is not wooly at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.