Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Will any components or content be changed for the reprint? Are there any known corrections which should be made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
throwingmuse wrote:
Will any components or content be changed for the reprint? Are there any known corrections which should be made?

I've already started those discussions with the relevant people.

I've also been sent all the original files to make the changes in order to learn how to use adobe cs5.

I can therefore confirm my plans are to first of all, fix the 3 cards which needed errata. After that, I am going to redo some wording on some other cards. For example, the day tactic card Planning needs rewording to say it increases the hand limit by 1.

Then, there are some other cards which have been misinterpreted, so my plan was to amend a couple of bits of wording, but they are just nice to haves.

I'm also going to try and speak to WK about printing extra copies of the cards which need errata to somehow get them to people who bought the first edition, but those decisions are not up to me.

So....... If people want to mail me with any suggested wording changes on cards. Remember that I only really want suggestions for major things, otherwise I'm going to get dozens of Emails I also can't promise I'll get to include all the suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can make an upgrade kit available, I'd buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please press for an upgrade kit release because I think it's the least WizKids could do for having the 1st print run sold out so quickly. IMHO it should be free of charge but I'd even pay for it in order to have a perfect game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see better cardstock with the fixes implemented. It would mean expansions can then use the better cardstock and not have to be that flimsy stuff by default to match the originals. I'd be willing to pay maybe 15$ for the fixed cards on better quality cardstock purchased separately then from a reprint to have better quality cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Systran Error
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
There are some typos in the manual as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
systran wrote:
There are some typos in the manual as well

Typos in the printed rule book, or the one found online?

The typos in the printed rule book has been discussed at length elsewhere. If there are any typos in the online rule look, please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Costa
Italy
Florence
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there any chance you will reprint an italian version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the request for making revised and errated cards somehow available to costumers that bought the first edition (though I imagine that first ed. costumers can simply use the component replacement page to ask for the errated material). It seems natural that this would be made available free of charge as people have already bought the game.
Something that is, however, a very BAD idea is to deliberately change things like card stock like someone above suggested: the cards quality is adequate and changing it would make the 1st edition less compatible with any future content of the game... You should take care not to alienate the people who supported the game by buying it and made it such a huge success. If you chose to do it anyway, please make sure that an "upgrade kit" or something like that is easily available for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiborvadovan wrote:
Something that is, however, a very BAD idea is to deliberately change things like card stock like someone above suggested: the cards quality is adequate and changing it would make the 1st edition less compatible with any future content of the game... You should take care not to alienate the people who supported the game by buying it and made it such a huge success. If you chose to do it anyway, please make sure that an "upgrade kit" or something like that is easily available for everyone.

Yes, that would be a bad idea to update the cardstock in expansions or reprinted cards and have them differ from the originals. Luckily, thats not what was suggested (or not what was meant to be suggested). What was suggested was to use new and better cardstock and either include (in an expansion) OR allow for purchase the original cards in the new cardstock.

To be honest, if you think the cardstock included is even OK then you're kidding yourself. It is only OK when you sleeve them, until then it is too easily damaged. I don't sleeve cards from FFG as they are excellent quality and I don't fear them getting damaged. In taking these cards out of the shrink I damaged one and in sleeving them I damaged two more. Something that would not have happened with better cards, and for the price that we paid, we should have had that quality of cards to begin with.

This game is great and I do not regret its purchase, but I hate having the thought in the back of my mind when I play it that I could easily and accidentally mark another card because of the crappy quality.

As you stated, yes its a bad idea. However, better quality components are never a bad idea and saying these cards are OK only allows companies to give us mediocre quality components and charge premium prices for it. I'm giving them the chance to fix that mistake. I'm even saying I'll pay MORE money for the better ORIGINAL cards so that I don't have to use these crappy ones anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge B
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malekous wrote:

Yes, that would be a bad idea to update the cardstock in expansions or reprinted cards and have them differ from the originals. Luckily, thats not what was suggested (or not what was meant to be suggested). What was suggested was to use new and better cardstock and either include (in an expansion) OR allow for purchase the original cards in the new cardstock.

To be honest, if you think the cardstock included is even OK then you're kidding yourself. It is only OK when you sleeve them, until then it is too easily damaged. I don't sleeve cards from FFG as they are excellent quality and I don't fear them getting damaged. In taking these cards out of the shrink I damaged one and in sleeving them I damaged two more. Something that would not have happened with better cards, and for the price that we paid, we should have had that quality of cards to begin with.

This game is great and I do not regret its purchase, but I hate having the thought in the back of my mind when I play it that I could easily and accidentally mark another card because of the crappy quality.

As you stated, yes its a bad idea. However, better quality components are never a bad idea and saying these cards are OK only allows companies to give us mediocre quality components and charge premium prices for it. I'm giving them the chance to fix that mistake. I'm even saying I'll pay MORE money for the better ORIGINAL cards so that I don't have to use these crappy ones anymore.

Fair enough, i guess i might have misread (the meaning of) the previous message. Apologies for that. I don't really disagree with you, I think the cards are a bit flimsy but probably on par with other boardgames, but I do sleeve them all anyway (FFG included) so I can't really tell how they would hold up to repeated wear.
My opinion is based on initial handling - I didn't have nowhere near a bad experience as you (i did have some card back misprints, though) and thought they were on par with, say, Core Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Index for rulebook and walkthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tiborvadovan wrote:
Fair enough, i guess i might have misread (the meaning of) the previous message. Apologies for that. I don't really disagree with you, I think the cards are a bit flimsy but probably on par with other boardgames, but I do sleeve them all anyway (FFG included) so I can't really tell how they would hold up to repeated wear.
My opinion is based on initial handling - I didn't have nowhere near a bad experience as you (i did have some card back misprints, though) and thought they were on par with, say, Core Worlds.

Yeah I was writing it on my phone and didn't want to take the time and work to proof read haha, sorry about that. My second post is what I actually meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools

Aside from having just one complete rulebook instead of the two rulebooks and reference cards (or at least one complete rulebook besides the other stuff), I would change two things in a possible reprint to make the game much easier to learn:

1. Fix the designators of attacks and the attack phase as it may be confusing for players to have references to plain "attacks" and to "physical attacks". Firstly, I would change the name of the plain "attacks" to "melee attacks" as this would clearly signify the difference between ranged, siege, and melee attacks. Secondly, I would add the "physical" designator to all attacks that count as "physical" in order to avoid confusion concerning range/siege attacks and physical resistance.
2. Change the structure of the combat phase to a more streamlined version. For example: 1. Ranged/Siege Attack Phase / 2. Enemy Attack Phase / 3. Melee Attack Phase. This structure is easier to grasp as the resolution of the attack is always within the same phase. One could still have the Block (sub-)phase and the Assign Damage (sub-)phase, but they would be within the same phase as it is with the attacks of the players.

The first point could be easily solved by adding two sentences to the rulebook: All attacks that are not designated by Ranged or Siege are considered to be Melee attacks. All attacks that are not designated by Ice, Fire, or Cold Fire are considered to be Physical attacks.

The second point was actually a problem with just two players. I could not understand their difficulty in understanding the combat phases, nevertheless, the problem did exist. :-)

I do understand that my points are really nitpicking on a high level of quality, but the game is so good that it seems only adequate to do so in order to get to an almost perfect game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LovingAngel wrote:

2. Change the structure of the combat phase to a more streamlined version. For example: 1. Ranged/Siege Attack Phase / 2. Enemy Attack Phase / 3. Melee Attack Phase. This structure is easier to grasp as the resolution of the attack is always within the same phase. One could still have the Block (sub-)phase and the Assign Damage (sub-)phase, but they would be within the same phase as it is with the attacks of the players.

Of course that would add the confusion of being allowed to use siege/ranged attacks in melee attack phase. Not a good idea imo. Plus, I really don't see the problem there to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Nitewolf wrote:
Of course that would add the confusion of being allowed to use siege/ranged attacks in melee attack phase. Not a good idea imo. Plus, I really don't see the problem there to begin with.

It is no more confusing than before. Still, one could rename it in another way. However, as I said, I just mentioned it because it happened to two players. I do not have a problem with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a (first printing) copy of this game as a (late) Christmas present, and I'd really appreciate it if an upgrade kit were made available for owners of the first printing when the second printing is done. I'm fine with paying a nominal fee for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
If there are any typos in the online rule look, please let me know.

Do we just GeekMail you about these? Or is there a thread somewhere for people to report errors so that the same error isn't reported twice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rcjsuen wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
If there are any typos in the online rule look, please let me know.

Do we just GeekMail you about these? Or is there a thread somewhere for people to report errors so that the same error isn't reported twice?

Geekmail me direct. Just remember I only want to know about actual typos in the online rulebook. At present, we dont have the time to take on board dozens of suggestions of how things can be made better, as we've already had a lot of them. I just want to know about actual typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Harris
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Just remember I only want to know about actual typos in the online rulebook. At present, we dont have the time to take on board dozens of suggestions of how things can be made better, as we've already had a lot of them. I just want to know about actual typos.

Does that include things like missing commas, commas that should be semicolons, misplaced apostrophes, and capitalization? I have a bunch of copyedit-level changes marked up in the walkthrough document that I could transcribe -- if you'll be able to make use of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seharris wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
Just remember I only want to know about actual typos in the online rulebook. At present, we dont have the time to take on board dozens of suggestions of how things can be made better, as we've already had a lot of them. I just want to know about actual typos.

Does that include things like missing commas, commas that should be semicolons, misplaced apostrophes, and capitalization? I have a bunch of copyedit-level changes marked up in the walkthrough document that I could transcribe -- if you'll be able to make use of it.

If you have the time, feel free to send them through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beakley
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what's the ETA on when this reprint might actually be in stores?

I'm in this very weird space right now where I am definitely getting this game at some point, and it is available at full retail via Amazon or whatever, but know there's a cleaned-up edition on its way. So I can either a) buy the current edition and indulge my desire for instant gratification (I assume the fixes are all FAQ items and maybe some pasteups of cards, no big) or b) buy the cleaned up edition and not worry over the little fixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Higginbottom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the reprint is only going to cover typos then? No re-jigging of the two rulebooks and info cards into a coherent whole?

Hmmm. Looks like I am going to have to wait for the 3rd re-print then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
higginbottomm wrote:
Is the reprint is only going to cover typos then? No re-jigging of the two rulebooks and info cards into a coherent whole?

Hmmm. Looks like I am going to have to wait for the 3rd re-print then.

I can confirm that those of us who have been given the 'job' of working on stuff for the reprint have a fairly tight deadline. There will not be enough time to do everything everybody wants to do, but I am confident that most of the major things will be addressed.

I have compiled a big list of things that should be considered, given them my own thoughts on importance, and am contributing what I can. But decisions like this are up to the guys over at WK.

Typos can be fixed easily and quickly. I can also confirm that a few other bits are also being considered - some extra bits in the rulebook and a couple of parts which will be clarified based on questions on the geek (i.e: Number of dice in a solo game (which is 3 BTW))

However, major re-writes of the entire 40 page rulebooks is not something which I think will happen. Yes, there are a few people out there who dont like them, but it would be an almighty task.

I dont think that would change for a 3rd printing either..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
However, major re-writes of the entire 40 page rulebooks is not something which I think will happen. Yes, there are a few people out there who dont like them, but it would be an almighty task.

I dont think that would change for a 3rd printing either..

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately, the abysmal arrangement of rules, i.e. spread over two rulebooks and various reference cards, is probably the sole reason that keeps Mage Knight from being a great game. It is simply way too annoying to learn the rules or to search for a specific rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.