Popular Tags: [View All]
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a copy of the Excalibre reprint of "The Conquerors" through NWS. Having read a thread of another geek receiving his copy without all the maps, I asked Chris to break the shrinkwrap and double check the contents. But being busy in a most busy time, Christopher forgot to do so. My copy does not include any of the counters for any side, nor the charts for the Greeks or Persians. This is not Chris' fault; it lies solely in the hands of Excalibre and Decision Games. I am hoping Chris can use his "leverage" to get Excalibre to sort out this mess and ship what is missing.

Be warned and wary if you buy a game from Excalibre and Decision. angry

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Uh that's unfortunate and it is always annoying when things like that happen but when I bought Under the Lily Banners, in the box there was a missing counter sheet and soon after for SPQR (Deluxe Edition) the deluxe booklet with the extra scenarios was missing, instead it came with two basic scenario booklets. So I e-mailed gmt and they promptly sent me the wrong booklet ....twice...in...a...row. robot robot robot

Eventually they corrected the mistake but now I have three scenario booklets lol.

Be wary if you buy a game from gmt? I don't think so.

It is frustrating but shit happens. Maybe more often with small companies that's true and I know you're just venting but at the end of the day we need to encourage smaller companies not shoot them down in flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know you're just venting but at the end of the day we need to encourage smaller companies not shoot them down in flames.

Though it is out of character for Severus Snape, I have not shot down Excalibre in flames, or in sparks, for that matter. I pointed out the mistake, and hope that is is corrected. However, I am not going to encourage any company selling any product to conduct business in this manner. shake

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:
I know you're just venting but at the end of the day we need to encourage smaller companies not shoot them down in flames.

Though it is out of character for Severus Snape, I have not shot down Excalibre in flames, or in sparks, for that matter.

And yet you killed Dumbledore. A little inconsistent don't you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

By his orders and his plan; and did you notice my hesitation before I cast the spell? ninja sauron

A great movie. I saw it three times in four days, once on 3-D. I suppose it satisfied the ultimate geek and HP fan in me. cool

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course, you first contacted Excalibre to sort out this problem.

Because you seem smart enough to do that, especially before running to a forum and posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of Battle for Stalingrad from Excalibre/Decision Games. Absolutely beautiful and complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
They graciously sent me the WarII and HTTR errata counters just for the asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
Uh that's unfortunate and it is always annoying when things like that happen but when I bought Under the Lily Banners, in the box there was a missing counter sheet and soon after for SPQR (Deluxe Edition) the deluxe booklet with the extra scenarios was missing, instead it came with two basic scenario booklets. So I e-mailed gmt and they promptly sent me the wrong booklet ....twice...in...a...row. robot robot robot

Eventually they corrected the mistake but now I have three scenario booklets lol.

Be wary if you buy a game from gmt? I don't think so.

It is frustrating but shit happens. Maybe more often with small companies that's true and I know you're just venting but at the end of the day we need to encourage smaller companies not shoot them down in flames.

Sorry, folks. Yes, GMT makes such mistakes. But very rarely, especially given their volume of games. And it could be that many of you have only had recent experience with Excalibre and Decision Games. But take it from someone who has experienced the poor quality of Decision Games and particularly Excalibre from way back in the old days, nothing has changed with them, and I avoid buying their products. Occasionally with Decision games - once actually in the last 10 to 15 years - I have purchased a game from them that I could not refuse, namely D-Day at Omaha Beach. But, given the very shoddy quality of their products from many years ago, I would not buy anything from Excalibre. Be forewarned! Nothing has changed and you take a big risk buying from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
The couple of Excalibur games I picked up
(Yaquinto reprints), whilst there were some
slight issues (binding choice for rulebook
for example), didn't have anything seriously
wrong with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Empires of the Middle Ages as a Santa Grogs gift last year. Brand new, but no counters.

But Decision quickly and with no questions asked sent me the counters when I emailed them.

So yes, unfortunate mistake, but good response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Disappointing, but nothing new.

Back in the Old SPI days I pre-pubbed "Wellington's Victory." Never had I waited with more eagerness for a UPS truck to appear.

The game arrived, double flatboxes. I was surprised to see, through the side of the clear lid, that both boxes held maps. Well, there are four of 'em, I told myself as I eagerly tore off the shrink-wrap.

First box: four maps. One little "SPI Standard" die. No counters.
Second box: four maps. One little SPI die. No counters.

AAAUUUGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

This was back before email, when dinosaurs roamed the earth. That same day, I wrote a quick letter explaining the problem, taped up the box with one flatbox containing the duplicate maps, and mailed it back to SPI. It cost me $1.90 to ship it. The pre-pub price was $16, $4 off full retail.

A week and a half later, the UPS truck came back. A flatbox. Happily I tore it open. On top was a handwritten note: "The part of Wellington's Victory with the counters in it."

I could see maps through the clear plastic.

Tore it open. Four maps. One little die. No counters.

This time I prefaced my letter: "Gentlemen: I don't know what kind of idiots you employ in your shipping department, but . . . " I concluded by requesting reimbursement for the cost of shipping faulty goods back to them, twice.

Shipped it back again. Another $1.90.

Two weeks later, the UPS truck came. A flatbox. I had resolved not even to open it until I had peered in the side of the clear top to see if cardboard counter matting showed.

It did. There were all the countersheets. No note.

No reimbursement.

To this day, SPI ows me $3.80 and an apology. Since TSR bought them out (anybody remember "all of the assets but none of the liabilities"?) long ago and much has transpired since, I will see neither.

Now I see that DG plans to print a new edition of "Wellington's Victory." At my age I calculate that I will not live long enough to play all the games I have now, never mind a new iteration.

Besides that, I bought "Wacht am Rhein II" from DG a couple of years ago. Pre-pub.

Before long I started seeing blurbs for a WaR II "Update Kit" to correct the errors in the new edition.

Eventually I saw no more mention of an update kit, only a reprinting with . . . ah . . . "corrections." Apparently LOTS of corrections.

I'd send in my WaR II box top as proof of purchase if they'd send me one of these "corrected" editions. But I'm already out $3.80, I can't afford another $138 or whatever it is to buy the "new improved" WaR II thought I was getting in the first place.

At least I still have SPI's WaR (original). It came with both maps AND counters the first time.

I don't get as excited anymore when the UPS truck comes, anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last GMT purchase had two copies of the scenario specific rules (it was Savannah) and no series rulebook.

My War of the Ring Expansion had English on one side of the map and French on the other. I don't even know how they managed to do that.

Neither of these things killed it for me, but pretty shoddy. In all my years of game buying (30+ years) This is the first time I've gotten new products that were missing parts. And both in one year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:

This time I prefaced my letter: "Gentlemen: I don't know what kind of idiots you employ in your shipping department, but . . . " I concluded by requesting reimbursement for the cost of shipping faulty goods back to them, twice.

To this day, SPI ows me $3.80 and an apology. .

It kind of sounds to me like you're the one who owes them an apology. You got exactly what you asked for, i.e. replacement counters. Getting extra - I think you pretty much have to display tact and manners to expect that.

As disappointing as it may have been to get the wrong result twice, it's still not cause for venting and hurling abuse at the shipping staff.

And doing so - before you get your refund - is almost always a mistake in any event. Because they can always blame the postal service for anything that doesn't arrive at your door. In fact, who's to say they didn't mail you a cheque separately.

Karma's a bitch. whistle

Be nicer next time.

Oh - and I think the terms of agreement were always written such that shipping was always assumed to be a liability on the part of the consumer, even if returning faulty goods, so I'm not sure there is a valid argument that any money is still owing either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
My first bad experience was with VG's Ambush - it came
with two sets of half the cards, and two of one of the
maps. Didn't realize until I had lost the receipt, and
never bothered contacting them. Finally picked up another
copy so I can play the rest of the scenarios - but it definitely
kept me from purchasing any expansions to a game I would've been
a heavy buyer of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
Quote:

By his orders and his plan; and did you notice my hesitation before I cast the spell? ninja sauron

A great movie. I saw it three times in four days, once on 3-D. I suppose it satisfied the ultimate geek and HP fan in me. cool

goo

The movies are... watchable, the books awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
To this day, SPI ows me $3.80 and an apology.

Actually, with interest, I'd say you are probably owed millions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
And of course, you first contacted Excalibre to sort out this problem.

Because you seem smart enough to do that, especially before running to a forum and posting.

No, I thought I would post and wine and wait for helpful and empathetic people like you to wine and gripe with me. cry

Now, if you have an intelligent question or comment, please feel free to post. whistle

Otherwise, read between the lines, read above and below the lines, and note that, though I am disappointed, I am not flaming Excalibre. shake

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The Horror! The Horror!

Responses such as these are, to quote from above, "disappointing, but nothing new." snore

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Karma's a bitch.
snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore snore

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your tough luck.

You probably won't hear from DG/EG until after the holidays. That said, I hope they can promptly rectify the situation for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Sorry to hear about your tough luck.

You probably won't hear from DG/EG until after the holidays. That said, I hope they can promptly rectify the situation for you.

Thank you. And you are likely correct that I won't hear anything for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't make myself a priority either at this time of year. In the meanwhile, time to focus on the things that matter, the things that last.

P E A C E O N E A R T H G O O D W I L L T O M E N A N D W O M E N

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough I mail ordered The Conquerors from SPI back in the day -and it came without a counter sheet (or a couple of them) - it took months (and a couple of letters), finally ended up putting one to the attention of Redmond before I got my missing sheets.

Maybe that was part of the intended experience.

Ah anyways- I need to put that one back on my wish list- as it was one of my favorites back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
It looks like Decision Games took an arrow to the knee!

*rim shot* thank you, thank you. I'll be here all next week! blush

Frankly, I hate seeing that stupid shit, but thought it worked well here.

Anyway, I hope you get everything worked out but as others have mentioned, you probably won't hear much until after the 1st of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've generally had good luck with games. My only game missing a component was GMT's Three Days of Gettysburg which was missing one map which they quickly replaced. I more worry about errata. It's a lot harder to fix mistakes in the game itself (misprinted CRTs and alike) that to replace a missing component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.