Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the fact that the species have differing art in the new version, I feel it would be more thematic if species started with a certain gene that pertains to their art. The biggest example of this is I hate that the red flying dinosaurs can't fly. I guess I would just like the fact that you are riding different dinosaurs to have some meaning. So I'm wondering if there is a way to give each color a starting gene without breaking the game. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with the game to have good judgment on what is unbalanced. I'd really like your input in making this variant playable and I know that my suggestion will likely be broken, but please let me know what to fix.

I've also tossed around the idea that for certain factions with better starting genes they could start with less power or cards or something. Please chime in.

Red: Wings
Purple: Regeneration
Pink: Alchemical Vial
Black: Killer Babies
Blue: Thermoregulation Layer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Schaible
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Wow, this is a fantastic idea... I just picked up a copy of this game the other day and think that any time I get a new game going I will propose this variant.

So what would I change? For simplicity's sake I think every clan should have a Unique Gene that is "in character" with the artwork. No need to complicate it with Event cards or other handicaps. You've already made excellent choices for Clans Red, Black, and Purple, now let's just take care of the last two.

For Blue, given the art, it has to be Bony Plates. It's a no-brainer.

For Pink it's tougher, this is a bit of stretch but I will suggest Sixth Sense. Explanation: The art depicts a Parasaurolophus with its distinctive forehead crest which many paleontologists believe was used for audio communication. Not that other dinosaurs didn't make noises but this species seems to be quite a bit more chatty than normal. Therefore it is in character for Clan Pink to have a unique gene related to cleverness/intelligence.

One other thing: If playing with these pre-set unique genes I would definitely skip the removal of the 4 random Uniques from the gene pool, even after leaving them in there will still be a shortage of one gene on Turn 11 of a five player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is, don't bony plates and sixth sense seem possibly overpowered (as a starting gene)? I had the same exact thoughts, but I tried to find genes that were more reasonable to begin with. You will notice my choices for the blue and pink dinosaur were thematically similar to your choices.

If they are not balanced that way, that is where starting power could come in. I'm not saying that it is not balanced that way. To me, bony plates and sixth sense seem quite strong, but I in no way know that I am correct in thinking that. I'm simply looking for a balanced variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.