Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG Photo Pros!

I'm seeking a bit of help with uploading some photos that I can't seem to have "stick" to the BGG site. I have an iMac, and have uploaded several 100 photos without trouble.

Suddenly, with my most recent series of photos I've had about ten in the category of "Error in the upload" for my photos.

Any suggestions, insight or tricks that may help get them to "take" to BGG would be most appreciated!

Merry merry!

Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
probably the size of the file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may be onto something...the size of the files are, for the most part...

4320 x 3240. Do you have expertise in how to "re-size" the file in order for it to "take" on BGG?

In appreciation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it in Preview quite easily. Load the file, and use Tools / Adjust Size to pick something more reasonable (try 50% smaller for starters, remember most people are going to be looking at your pictures on a monitor no larger than maybe 1920x1080)

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty easy-to-use free photo editor is Google's Picasa. (http://picasa.google.com/)

You can select your photos you want and export them to a different folder with a more suitable size for uploading to the web. By exporting a new copy, you retain the original full-resolution photo. It can be a little dangerous to work with the original file, especially if you resize it and save it.

For BGG upload purposes, somewhere between 1024-1600 pixels on the long side should be plenty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. I've figured out how to do this best now.

So, my next question is, "How can I download/upload photos from a diskcard to my computer where the file is not so massive that I need to export my photos in order to re-size them?

In other words is there a way to download photos in smaller pixel sizes in order to alleviate the need to export (thus resizing the shot) in order to upload them to BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Show them in lowe quality is the only way I know of this (or perhaps script copying via ufraw or something might fix that, but I have doubts)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tyvek wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I've figured out how to do this best now.

So, my next question is, "How can I download/upload photos from a diskcard to my computer where the file is not so massive that I need to export my photos in order to re-size them?

In other words is there a way to download photos in smaller pixel sizes in order to alleviate the need to export (thus resizing the shot) in order to upload them to BGG?

You could do that by changing the quality/size setting on your camera before you take the picture.

However, by doing that, you are throwing away most of the data/resolution that your camera is capable of, without any reasonable way of getting it back.

By taking the pictures at full resolution and then shrinking/resizing them on your computer, you retain the data, in case you later want to do something more with the photo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.