Subject: "Destroy Ongoing" cards: Anyone's Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to this question might be obvious to MtG veterans; I somehow have never played. A few Hero cards offer the chance to destroy ongoing cards. Absolute Zero's "Fueled Freeze," for example, offers the ability to "destroy up to 3 ongoing cards" and deal 1 damage per card destroyed to each non-hero target. My question is this:

Can he destroy the villain's ongoing cards or must he destroy his own?

I could see either being a reasonable ability, the former being much more powerful, of course. Either he's making an attack which "fuels" itself on its own success, or he's sacrificing his own cards to fuel a multi-target attack. If he can destroy villain cards, I suppose a follow up question would ask:

Would he be allowed to destroy ANY ongoing cards in order to fuel his attack - the villain's, his own, and even those of other heroes?

Thanks in advance for any answers; I'm having an absolute blast playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, I just follow exactly what it says on the card and not try to interpret the intent of the rules listed and don't add rules.

So, the card says:
"Destroy up to 3 ongoing cards"

That means you destroy up to 3 ongoing cards. It doesn't restrict which ongoing card can be destroyed, so don't add a rules that does.

In the absence of an errata, that's what you should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Badell
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Keep on saving the Multiverse!
mbmbmbmbmb
DeltaDemon is absolutely correct - card wording should be able to be taken at its face value. Thus, your final interpretation is accurate, in that he may destroy ANY three Ongoing cards in play. So one from the villain, one from a teammate, and one of his own? Great! Feel free!

Thanks for the question! Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel, Christopher, thanks much; this answers my question. I am really liking how this game offers some obvious and some not so obvious combos with other heroes. Because it's a co-op, though, instead of crushing your buddy with a combo, you get to do a high-five with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harper
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Skjoldulfr wrote:
in that he may destroy ANY three Ongoing cards in play. S

So where on the card does it say "in play". I have tried to follow the same philosophy "dont read into the cards", so I assume you can destroy "ongoing cards" from your hand. And since the rules say all information is open, why couldn't you destroy ongoing cards from your partners hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketigid ketigid
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Destroy keyword is used to indicate moving a card from play to trash. While the Discard keyword is used to indicate moving a card from hand to trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ketigid wrote:
The Destroy keyword is used to indicate moving a card from play to trash. While the Discard keyword is used to indicate moving a card from hand to trash.

How does this work when I saw one villain card say whenever something tells you to discard a card, it is destroyed instead. Isn't that the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBulletKY wrote:
ketigid wrote:

How does this work when I saw one villain card say whenever something tells you to discard a card, it is destroyed instead. Isn't that the same thing?

If you know what villain card you are thinking of I could answer better.

My best guess is that you are thinking of the environment card 'Police Backup'. This is a card which deals damage to the villain, but the next time a villain card would make you discard a card from your hand, 'Police Backup' is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.