Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference:

So I just got this game and have finished reading through the rules but I don't really see what the point of the Team Cards are and why they all have a different illustration on one side.

Is their only use to help people with nonexistent memories on the vote that occurs right after the Leader selects the mission team members? Because that's practically what I got out of reading the rules.

Can you just not use them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing a ten-player game where four different teams are nominated on round 3 only to expect the fourth one to also fail but then have it unexpectedly pass and come back to this thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The cards are useful, especially, with a bigger group. The leader passes them out so everyone sees who is nominated so they can more clearly discuss and vote. If that team fails, the next leader in line gathers them and redistributes his proposed team.

I am not sure what memory has to do with it as this point. It is more about clearly marking who is up. It does keep people honest so they don't try to say, Oh I meant him, not him in my team. Determining teams and how people vote is the major way to solve the mystery of the game.

After a successful vote, it is just an easy way to mark who needs missions cards since these are passed out and collected during each mission.

So they have a valid point.

What I thought you were going to ask is why all 5 team cards are different. I haven't seen any use for that. But perhaps it leaves it open for future expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I see their point now. Thanks for the explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I never use them. I can see their utility, but whenever I'm playing we just hand out mission cards to the people going on the mission. Saves a step. If the proposed mission doesn't go through, we just redistribute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use them either. Always seemed like an extra, unnecessary step to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
We throw around ideas a lot, verbally, but when you hand out those mission cards, you're locked in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smullens
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
Our group doesn't use the team cards, or the 'voting' cards (we do 'thumbs-up for yes, thumbs-down for no). I have to admit though, in large games I find myself having to double check who was on the team when hading out the mission cards to the team (this is especially bad if I was the spy and I remember the spy that was on the team but not all the resistance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are exactly 5 team cards and they all have two different sides, you can also use them to track how many failed team votes you've had so far. Keep the 5 team cards facing the same way, then flip one over for each failed team vote. Makes it easier to track when there is a lot of heated discussion and votes failing, rather than having to say "Okay, how many has it been so far? Jeremy started as the leader, right? Didn't he? So that's...1, 2, 3. 3 Failed votes? Is that right?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SlipkPie wrote:
Since there are exactly 5 team cards and they all have two different sides, you can also use them to track how many failed team votes you've had so far. Keep the 5 team cards facing the same way, then flip one over for each failed team vote. Makes it easier to track when there is a lot of heated discussion and votes failing, rather than having to say "Okay, how many has it been so far? Jeremy started as the leader, right? Didn't he? So that's...1, 2, 3. 3 Failed votes? Is that right?"

That's what the black token is for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
SlipkPie wrote:

Do you just leave the black token with the original leader?

If the team cards are used to count the failed votes, then you couldn't use them to nominate teams because there would eventually not be enough of them.

I'm going to use the thumbs up/down for voting...the less cards the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Lastname
msg tools
My group plays with 10 and talks a lot. After round 1, it takes 20 minutes of arguing about who the spies are before the leader even tries to select a team, and then it takes another 10 minutes to actually pick the team as people keep talking over the "leader." Trying to keep track of the 4 or 5 people who have been selected as team members is a nightmare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 10 as well, but found that at that stage, you want like a giant white board that covers all the pertinent information:

Proposed team.
Previous team compositions for each mission.
Each mission's pass/fail (because having it beside the team composition is nice).

This cuts down on at least 5-10 minutes per round of people not remembering what happened. "Oh, Greg was only in R2 pass? I thought he was in both R2 pass and R3 fail"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
SlipkPie wrote:

That's what I've been saying all along, but nobody in my group believes me. They just think it's a place marker for the current mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
improvius wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
SlipkPie wrote:

That's what I've been saying all along, but nobody in my group believes me. They just think it's a place marker for the current mission.

it is, included for the targeting variant (pick which mission instead of always doing in sequential order).

But using it to track votes is a good use for it if you aren't using the targeting variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The way my group most often uses the black token is placed next to the board so people know exactly where they should play their "Used" mission card rather than the discarded one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.