Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received this game on Thursday, and have spent about 3 hours so far reading the instructions, and trying to play through a mock game, just to understand the rules. The quick start game instructions helped me set things up, however, I would like to play with all of the advanced features. It seems as though the instruction manual has separate sections for different game modes, however, each section as parts to it where it relies on you having already read through a previous section.

What is the best way to wrap your mind around the rules, and ensure you are managing the game play correctly? It seems as thought there are so many little nuances, that you are sure to forget some aspect of the game as you play. Maybe a video DVD of instructions and how to implement different aspects or game modes would be helpful. There are not many videos of this game on Youtube.

Maybe I just need to spend more time in the instruction manual, rules forum, and mocking up the game to better understand how game play should flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it very helpful to run some trial games by myself. Start with the competitive game with the advanced features, playing 2-3 adventurers. Then play the solo game to get the cooperative rules down. The only thing left after that is teams. Expect to get a few things wrong in your first few games, but stick with it, because the game is worth the effort to get the rules down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McHale
United States
Audubon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stick with it it's really not complicated. I had an advantage learning this game because I am already familiar with other Flying Frog games. I've played it a few times now and it's a great game. You'll make some mistakes at first but it will all come together after a play or two. Also the time to play the game will shorten greatly.

If you would like a game review check out http://njagp.libsyn.com/category/Episodes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the selection of flowcharts for the different types of games and section therein. I found them very informative for getting my head round some of the rules. They were in the files section IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright,

I have read through the instructions 2x now, and played an advanced cooperative game with 4 players for about 4 hours last night. I think it took so long because I kept referring to the instruction book. However, about 2 hours into the game, we got the overall feel of the progression of the turns.

During this time, the game was more frustrating than enjoyable. We were focusing on rule compliance, rather than on the theme. We were simply rolling dice according to cards, and not really reading the story script. By the end of the 4 hour game, we did get into the theme more, as we were more comfortable with rules and managing the dynamics of the game.

We did discover many times that we were ignoring or incorrectly implementing certain aspects, but we were able to correct most of them.

I think we are ready to present the game on our game night with friends. There are many details to the game, but once we get them down, I think it will create for a very enjoyable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.