24 Posts

Power Grid» Forums » General

Subject: The trouble is... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
This is deservfedly high rated game, but it has a boig problem in my opinion: around mid-game, it's usually plain clear who is gonna win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I have the opposite feeling. Most of the games I'm in, there are several people doing well, and any of them could win with the right combination of timing and luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always lurk just behind the leader. Maintaining second place is tricky, but usually successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true if one player is a lot more skillful than the others.

I have played many games that came down to a difference of a few dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:
This is deservfedly high rated game, but it has a boig problem in my opinion: around mid-game, it's usually plain clear who is gonna win.

In most of my games, around mid-game, no one even has capacity for 17 cities with most players needing to get two more plants. The question of which plants and the timing of when to buy them is a critical factor in who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In our groups it would be rare for there to be a clear winner mid game, in fact it is quite often not clear until the game is finished and the money counted for the tie breaker that we can determine who the leader was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
In our groups it would be rare for there to be a clear winner mid game, in fact it is quite often not clear until the game is finished and the money counted for the tie breaker that we can determine who the leader was!

As often as not, it's Karlsen, but I digress..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
I think it's not right the first ti-ebrekaer be money, and only after that being number of cities. For me, number of cities should come first as a tie-breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:
I think it's not right the first ti-ebrekaer be money, and only after that being number of cities. For me, number of cities should come first as a tie-breaker.

Friedemann could have done it that way but he didn't. It never helps you to have cities you don't power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the World Boardgaming Championships, where all ties must be broken in the finals, the first tie-breaker is most money, the second is most cities connected, and the last tie-breaker is "highest-numbered power plan owned."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably pick this game above all others in my collection as the one in which it is hardest to call the winner in mid-game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games I start to get cocky at midgame, sure I'm going to win, only to get shut out of a critical resource in the last turn due to lousy positioning in turn order, finally powering something like eleven cities. Then I pout and break stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:

But then the t-shirt would be wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mschlat wrote:

The shirt says "a tiebreaker", not "the first tiebreaker".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
mschlat wrote:

The shirt says "a tiebreaker", not "the first tiebreaker".

Yeah, I messed up.... (Still love the shirt.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
This is true if one player is a lot more skillful than the others.

In that case, there is no need to call the winner as late as the mid-game.

When I play the game, usually the penultimate round there are at least two possible contenders for first place. And it comes down to the tie-breaker in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
msouzafon wrote:

Number of cities doesn't come in to it as a tie-breaker at all.

The winner is the most powered cities, as opposed to the number of cities in your network.

If there is a tie for this (which there often is) then it is the most money (which in the vast majority of cases will settle it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

The winner is the most powered cities, as opposed to the number of cities in your network.
If there is a tie for this (which there often is) then it is the most money (which in the vast majority of cases will settle it).

Lol. shake
And if there is a tie in the amount of money??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
Karlsen wrote:

Lol. shake
And if there is a tie in the amount of money??

The next tie-breaker is connected cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you run out of tie-breakers in the rules "Just play better next time" cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a game today in which halfway through the power plant auction on the last turn, 3 different people could have won, depending on the order in which the plants were drawn from the power plant deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Melkus
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played quite a few games where it came down to math. Two or more players can win depending on who gets the best plant in the last round, but still has enough money to connect to more cities. Once I lost a game because I overbid the power plant by 1 electro, and I was exactly one electro short on building the 18th city that I needed for the win in that particular game.

I agree with the others, only if one player is much more experienced can you have a clear winner mid-game, and in that case you have a clear winner before you even start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
msouzafon wrote:

Friedemann could have done it that way but he didn't. It never helps you to have cities you don't power.

Not only that but it could lead to some weird game play when it comes to theme.

If two or more players are tied for most cities powerable, the player who goes last in the build phase could spend all their money to get to 17 cities for an automatic win (other players have no chance to respond). So the player who goes first in the build order has to preempt that by building out first. That means that it becomes more important to build cities than power them. The winning strategy then becomes "buy mediocre plants that keep you in the mid-game but have no end-game potential and use the money you save to build out to 17 cities to end the game whenever you can." Very few games would actually get to the point of powering 17 or more cities.

When cash is the first tie-breaker someone wanting to build to 17 cities early has to have a clear powering advantage or they take themselves out of the game. I think this works better with the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
It never helps you to have cities you don't power.

Well... never say never. There are possible corner cases. Specifically,
if by building one or more cities over your capacity, you force your competitors to pay [more than what you paid for those extra cities] more to build the cities they need - or even be unable to build up to capacity - it is a net gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.