Subject: anyone ever won this one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools

Hi!

I like this game, but I never came even close to victory! So has anyone ever won this game? Please, tell us how did you manage that?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
I've won this game often, but it has been always veeery close and never with an outstanding amount of points (no "absolute victory" or how that was called)..
I have to admit, I'm always exploring the ship in a very careful way and with minimum risk, that's why my amount of victory points never has been overwhelming.

Every turn I'm building stacks of 2 to 3 units, ready to deploy in unexplored spaces. While fighting, I'm trying to avoid killing an alien in the same space as marines, I'm always using a double-shot from a Pistol so you can secure some of your troops before the xenomorph proves to be still alive or it explodes and sprays acid blood. When re-entry comes close, I'm beginning to pull back a small team to occupy the spaces for the way back to the shuttle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Konstantin wrote:

Hi!

I like this game, but I never came even close to victory! So has anyone ever won this game? Please, tell us how did you manage that?!
I am finally starting to show some consistency in victory. I have manage to the win the last nine games with the last five above 45 including two at above 55VP, so I think I might be on to something. Rather than post a really long post here, I started a new thread here instead.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/743825/my-strategy-based-on-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Lubsky
Germany
München
flag msg tools

I just finnished a game of "Vesuvius" and for the first time I almost won the game, achieving 41 victory points soblue
7 marines and 3 alive crew members managed to escape (in my previous games no one ever escaped).

Here are my thoughts how to play this game:

1) I followed a very conservative and cautious strategy: keep your team together and enter new rooms only in exploration mode.

2) Always keep two humans behind to avoid unpleasant surprises when you exit the room you've just explored.

3) In most cases I entered new rooms with two marines: Usually, their firepower suffices to eliminate every opposition.

4) In close combat use only the pistol, to avoid acid spray. In most cases I could eliminate the aliens in my space without any damage to my units.

5) Always use double shots, as you the range is mostly short enough to get a hit.

These are my initial thoughts. What do you think of this? Do you play similarly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.