Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip T
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First post.

Me and my friends have been playing a lot of BSG lately. It is my favorite game. When we discard we discard cards face down in respetively colors discard pile. From what I've understand now, you're suppose to discard cards face up (atleast the top card you're discarding). I myself is an advocate to actually have one large face down discard pile so you can't even tell what color people are discarding. We had a brief discussion about it during game play, but decided that we would keep as is.

I can see the problem with one big pile, that every time a pile goes empty you'll have to go through the discard pile and find the colors, also showing all cards that has been played/discarded, i.e. showing the cards that would've been discarded "behind" the top discard pile, like (from the top) discarding a red 2, blue 6, red 5 when you're a cylon player wanting to get rid of high cards (maybe we're playing it wrong, that a cylon would never want to get rid of high cards, but I can see when you want to get rid of maximum firepower when you're a cylon pilot)

What is your opinion on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 15 of the rulebook:

"Whenever a player discards a Skill Card, it is placed in a
discard pile faceup next to the appropriate Skill deck. When
a deck runs out of Skill Cards, the discard pile is shuffled to
create a new Skill deck."

highlighting mine. The rules as written are clear, all discards are face up, and thus public.

If you prefer a face down discard to enable hiding cylons to remain hidden longer, and you're not having cylons win 95% of the time, then I would say there's nothing wrong with your group's "house rule". But realize that it IS a house rule. Bottom line, are you having fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Loke
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
BUT MY DREAMS THEY AREN'T AS EMPTY
mbmbmbmbmb
A Cylon should always hold onto his high cards - always good for spiking, and you never have to show your hand in any circumstance. Just claim you have a different card - it's fairly tough to card count if you're socializing and accusing each other.

How about this - put dividers in the box lid or something, so that when you have to discard, just pass the lid to that player, let him discard secretly but into the correct piles, so that you don't have to look through the whole pile when you reshuffle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We personally play it as written, but I've heard of plenty of people who discard face down. One of the best arguments for face down discards are keeping Cylon Presidents unrevealed. Yes, you can lie about whether you have a card or not, but a lot of the time Food and Water Shortages will drain the President's hand entirely; and it's a huge tell if the person who just last turn claimed not to have an Investigative Committee is forced to discard one in plain sight for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
We personally play it as written, but I've heard of plenty of people who discard face down. One of the best arguments for face down discards are keeping Cylon Presidents unrevealed. Yes, you can lie about whether you have a card or not, but a lot of the time Food and Water Shortages will drain the President's hand entirely; and it's a huge tell if the person who just last turn claimed not to have an Investigative Committee is forced to discard one in plain sight for everybody.

In that case the great cylon president should just convince the others to go with the food loss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.