Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just started learning Go, and bought some cheap stones. Each color has approx 125 stones, do you think these are enough for 19x19?

Thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Hi,

Just started learning Go, and bought some cheap stones. Each color has approx 125 stones, do you think these are enough for 19x19?

Thx

The Go info page here on the Geek states 181 black and 180 white stones (total = 19x19), so looks like you need more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:
Hi,

Thx

The Go info page here on the Geek states 181 black and 180 white stones (total = 19x19), so looks like you need more.
You are correct, but that number is based on covering every intersection on the board. You will never have to use that many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
250 moves isn't an abnormal number for a game, so you will run short sooner or later. If you're just learning you are better off on a smaller board anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:
Chrysm wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:
Hi,

Thx

You are correct, but that number is based on covering every intersection on the board. You will never have to use that many.

Yes, no doubt. 125 stones each does seem a bit thin though - only covers two thirds of the board. Still, if you're just starting out those are plenty for playing skirmish on a 9x9 or 13x13 board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you run out, you can usually exchange prisoners to recover a handful of stones.

Edit: You could also include dead stones on the board as prisoners as long as they are really dead and impossible to use as ko threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your replies.

At the end, I went to Chinatown (in Vancouver) again to grab another set of stones (cheap gem stones) for $6CAD.

i.e. Hard Board (19x19, 17 inches) + 2 sets of stones (now, at least 240 per color)= approx $25CAD (after taxes). It's ok, better than those small ones in eBay, I guess

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adult-Chinese-Go-Game-Set-Foldable-Ch...

Merry Christmas and God Bless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Traditionally a set has 361 stones, enough to perfectly fill the board. It is possible (but quite unlikely) a game will have so many captures it goes past 361 moves. However 250 is nowhere close to enough. You need at least 320.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 250 is close to enough. Typical games will average 250 moves, so that many will often suffice, but if 250 is average it means a good half of games will go over that number, so 250 will frustrate you noticably often. 300 should be safe for most games, its pretty rare to need more than that, but does happen. With 350 you are basically guaranteed to have enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to learn Go from scratch, and thought about buying a set with only 320 stones. I know that nobody ever uses 361 stones, but I'm not totally sure that 320 would be enough for all occasions, especially in games between new players like me. Woul it be safe to buy only 320 stones?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
320 stones will be plenty, needing more than that is probably going to occur in less than 1% of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sabaki wrote:
320 stones will be plenty, needing more than that is probably going to occur in less than 1% of games.

Good to know. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.