Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Because I am weird like that, I have kept a spreadsheet for each of the Dominion cards. One of the pieces of info I kept was who each artist was. However, I am confused on Clause Stephan / Stefan. In the base set, he was credited as Claus Stefan on Mine but Clause Stephan on Village. The rest of the times he appeared, he has always been PH (Coppersmith, Haven, Mining Village, Outpost, Transmute, Worker's Village) and so I updated Mine accordingly.

But now that I have logged Hinterlands, I see that Haggler has gone back to F. BGG has him logged as both names, but I was just curious what was the "real" way to write. And why has RGG gone back and forth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Because I am weird like that, I have kept a spreadsheet for each of the Dominion cards. One of the pieces of info I kept was who each artist was. However, I am confused on Clause Stephan / Stefan. In the base set, he was credited as Claus Stefan on Mine but Clause Stephan on Village. The rest of the times he appeared, he has always been PH (Coppersmith, Haven, Mining Village, Outpost, Transmute, Worker's Village) and so I updated Mine accordingly.

But now that I have logged Hinterlands, I see that Haggler has gone back to F. BGG has him logged as both names, but I was just curious what was the "real" way to write. And why has RGG gone back and forth?

While highly unlikely it is not impossible that they are two different people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Broox wrote:
While highly unlikely it is not impossible that they are two different people.

Style is too similar. Plus he is marked as both names Claus Stephan though he is listed as PH first and F as an alternate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Google and Funagain are for Stephan (FWIW).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be that it is neither "ph" nor "f" until you translate it into English and then it becomes a mere matter of preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
It could be that it is neither "ph" nor "f" until you translate it into English and then it becomes a mere matter of preference.

Why would you translate a proper name? Especially an artist that signs his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Why would you translate a proper name? Especially an artist that signs his work.

It might lead to mispronunciation or confusion in English, or it might use letters not available on a US keyboard. Suppose he's Russian and his name is Стивен?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

It might lead to mispronunciation or confusion in English, or it might use letters not available on a US keyboard. Suppose he's Russian and his name is Стивен?

Since when is Stephan/Stefan a Russian name?

I understand the hypothetical here, but I am talking about a specific person and situation. Both "ph" and "f" are characters used in English, so it shouldn't be a translation issue. I think it is safe to say his native name doesn't use Cyrillic or another alphabet.

Researching it on my own through Google as well, it seems PH is the way to go. Though most links do bring me back to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Milke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'ph' it is: http://www.spieletest.at/autor.php?ID=707 (short biography in German along with a list of games he worked on, with photo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Since when is Stephan/Stefan a Russian name?

Why wouldn't it be? Stephen goes back to the Greek Στέφανος (Stephanos if you know your Greek alphabet). Russia is a Christian, European country. Why wouldn't they name children after Saint Stephen?

This is St. Stephen's Day, as it happens. You know, Saint Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia? (Not too far from Russia!) Good King Wenceslaus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Again, I am not talking about generalities. I am talking about Claus Stephen. Is he Russian? If not, then no need to point it out in this thread. As has been posted on the biography link, he is indeed German.

If his name was Стивен or Στέφανος or Wenceslaus or something else, then your tangents would be appropriate. We aren't even talking about Stephen or Steven or any of the other variations based on nationality. We are talking about the German versions of Stefan vs Stephan and only as it pertains to the board game artist Claus.

I really don't know if you are trying to be helpful or trolling at this point. Either way, my appreciation of your contributions are going down hill fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered your specific question as well as I could. You did ask general questions, too, which I quoted and answered.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Tall_Walt wrote:
I answered your specific question as well as I could. You did ask general questions, too, which I quoted and answered.
cool

Then I apologize. I thought you were being pedantic.

We weren't dealing with a translation issue as they did not take the English spelling of the name. We weren't dealing with Cyrillic or Greek as he is not of that nationality. My "general" questions were specific to the original question.

It seems simply that they might have been confused, especially give Stefan Feld uses the "F" in his spelling and they have published quite a bit of his games. Perhaps they second guessed themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may as well ask why so many German names were re-written at Ellis Island. Same alphabet or not, these things happen. The point was never invalid. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer, make a silly complaint about answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.