Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just read the rules and the game does sound very interesting, I don`t care too much for trick taking games (when playing regular cards I usually prefer bluffing games) but this one sounds very interesting and I am willing to give it a try.
One thing that bothers me is that the scoring seams to be divisible by 5, is that right or did I miss something? If so I am going to teach it to my friends with all scoring references divided by 5. This sort of stuff is so corny TV game show like and inelegant IMHO. It does not break the game by any meas but it bothers me.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One advantage of the existing scoring is that it means there are 100 points (net) in the deck, and you have a useful checksum in that both team's scores at any given moment must add to a multiple of 100. Seeing that they add to a multiple of 100 is easier (for me at least) than to a multiple of 20.

That said, you're right that all scores could be divided by 5, and if you prefer to do that then there's nothing to stop you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but it has a good reason. The 5 cards give you five points, the 10 and Kings give you ten points. So the cards themselves are a memonic of what they are worth.

Also there is a line of chinese card games which score the K-10-5 in this manner. So its THEMATIC too!
http://www.pagat.com/kt5/index.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree that x5 numbers aren't an improvement over x1, but Tichu is widely played, so playing like everyone else has some virtue.

Tichu is not technically a trick taking game. In a trick taking game, each player plays one and only one card. Once everyone has played exactly one card, the round ends, and the winner (usually) takes the trick.

In Tichu, you don't follow suit, you follow "shape": 1 card (2), a pair (2 2), a triple (2 2 2), consecutive pairs (2 2 3 3), full house (2 2 2 3 3), straight (2 3 4 5 6). A player doesn't have to play even if he can. Also, bombs play out of order: even after everyone has passed, a bomb (2 2 2 2) can still be played and still be over-bombed (3 3 3 3).

All these factors make for a very different game from trick taking games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Really? It is easier to remember that a Five is worth 1 point instead of, um, 5? And a ten is worth 2, instead of, um, 10?

As David pointed out, it is easier to remember that all points add to an even 100 for the round, that Tichus are worth 100 and everything is based off the 100.

So instead you think it is easier to have everything base off of 20? and have the game end at 200 points instead of 1000?

Finally, you do your players a great disservice. If they like the game, they will might get into it as well and they are going to be confused by the strange scoring system. Plus, if they get into plays with other people, they are going to be thrown off. Conventions are convenient like that.

It won't break the game, and I don't care how you play, but it seems changing it up is more inelegant and corny than teaching the game as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all([edit]: except brian) for the kind and objective answers.

The mnemonic argument is actually a good one.
The fact that it would be a problem when playing with independent groups is not too big since in Brazil tichu and board games are very, very uncommon to the best of my knowledge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkzubaran wrote:
The fact that it would be a problem when playing with independent groups is not too big since in Brazil tichu and board games are very, very uncommon to the best of my knowledge

Are you also confident that none of your friends will ever play this game online or use the fantastic Tichu app on iOS devices? Or maybe use the scoring app (Tichu Guru)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua G
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
tkzubaran wrote:
Thanks all([edit]: except brian) for the kind and objective answers.

The mnemonic argument is actually a good one.

Except Brian? His answer was plenty objective and in no way unkind. I thought his was extremely reasonable.

Anyway, do you play a lot of board games? Nearly all point values in card games that I can think of could be divided down to something lower. Counting by 5's is easy. Making sure the sum of a hand is 100 is easy. Playing to 1000 is easy. Much easier than 5's being worth 1 point, 10's and K's worth 2. It's unnecessarily complicated and there's nothing cheesy about it. It's how card games work.

In Spades, you get 10 points a trick. Why not make it 1? Why change what isn't broken for something that is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.