Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taught the game to my wife today.

We decided to play a divisional game between the Columbia Crocodiles and the Raleigh Reapers. She took the Crocs.

Game Summary:
The game opened with the Crocs winning the toss and electing to receive. The Crocs drove downfield to the Reapers red zone, but gave up the ball with an untimely turnover after a big loss. The Reapers drove to the Croc 7-yard line before stalling and settling for a field goal.
Reapers: 3 – Crocs: 0

The Crocs next possession ended in a punt. The Reapers worked into the Croc red zone, and scored on a FB Strong run. Extra point was good.
Reapers: 10 – Crocs: 0

The Crocs took a touchback and started on their own 20-yard line. A 15-yard offensive penalty and foiled Slant led to a Safety!
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 0

Two series later, the Reapers muffed a punt, and the Crocs rolled two breakaways on the return for a score!
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 7

The half ended with a stalled drive by the Reapers.

Second half, the Reapers punted after their first drive. The Crocs pushed to the 22-yard line and kicked a field goal.
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 10

A turnover by the Reapers on the very next possession allowed the Crocs to get inside the red zone again, and again kick a field goal.
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 13

The Reapers stalled again, and the Crocs kicked again, taking the lead!
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 16

The Reapers managed to get into (long) field goal range before their next drive stalled. But, the kick was no good!

After a defensive penalty gave the Crocs an automatic first down, they turned what looked like a loss into a breakaway touchdown!
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 23

The Reapers had two more opportunities, but even using all three timeouts couldn’t get into scoring range before time ran out.
Final score …
Reapers: 12 – Crocs: 23

Play notes:
We used the expansion team dice on special teams, and contrary to what some folks are saying, it really enhanced the experience. Most of the results resembled real football, including the “bad” plays. The muffed punt in the first half and the missed field goal in the second were two of the most exciting plays of the game … even if they both went against me!

Early on, I focused on using defensive plays that limited her best dice. That seemed to work in the first half. However, in the second half, she really mixed up her play calling, and was able to take advantage of a few big gains, including a successful breakaway pass that led to a touchdown.

There were a total of three turnovers and four penalties – not an unreasonable amount.

Timeouts weren’t really a factor, although I did use mine at the end of the second half.

We didn’t use the quarterback sneak or fake kicks. They were available, but neither team was ever in a position where these calls “made sense”.

The game took about an hour-and-a-half.

Assessment:
We both had fun. My wife has a fairly good understanding of football, and an even better understanding of games. It took only a few plays for her to get a firm grip on the game mechanics and begin to play “her strategy”. Her tight play in the first half was a bit predictable which allowed me to get ahead early. However, she made some adjustments in the second half and I had some plays go pretty badly for me. These two factors really turned things around, and in the end she made me look like a novice!

It was a lot of fun, and as I said in my review of the game, adding the expansions is a real enhancement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice session report. My friends and I are total football FREAKS especially NFL football. Do you think this game has enough strategy and options to make you feel like you really have control over your team?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to read my review. I'm a football nut, and I feel like this game does a pretty good job of capturing the "feel" of the game without a lot of heavy statistics and charts. However, with 8 cards in hand each turn, 12 possible plays to choose from for each player, and the use of common decks by both players, you may not get the "whole" coaching experience.

I definitely like the expansion teams. They seem to add some more depth because you are more likely to play to your strengths. This enhances the "coaching" but doesn't completely eliminate the "rock-paper-scissors" play calling.

When we play, we definitely experience the emotions of a real game. There's excitement during a breakaway. There's tension while you're waiting for the results of a possible turnover or penalty. And there's even some "C'mon man!" when you Kurt a punt or lose the ball in your opponent's red zone.

If you take it for what it is, it's a whole lot of fun. If you want a more serious simulation of football, look elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry...autocorrect on my phone changed 'muff' a punt to 'kurt' a punt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.