Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question after just getting the Journey to Rhosgobel pack. Can Radagast's accumulated resources be used to pay for Gandalf?
I read the text on Rad that says "Can spend resources to hire a creature ally" as an exception to the rule that cards must be paid for with resources of their type. So of course creatures (all belonging to a particular sphere) can't be paid for by a neutral card, except that Rad's text allows it.
But Gandalf doesn't have this restriction, being neutral, so I don't see a reason I can't use the resources on Radagast to pay for him (or any other neutral card, of which I don't currently have any). But of course, the chance that I'm missing something in the rules is high.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikisknight wrote:
I have a question after just getting the Journey to Rhosgobel pack. Can Radagast's accumulated resources be used to pay for Gandalf?
I read the text on Rad that says "Can spend resources to hire a creature ally" as an exception to the rule that cards must be paid for with resources of their type. So of course creatures (all belonging to a particular sphere) can't be paid for by a neutral card, except that Rad's text allows it.
But Gandalf doesn't have this restriction, being neutral, so I don't see a reason I can't use the resources on Radagast to pay for him (or any other neutral card, of which I don't currently have any). But of course, the chance that I'm missing something in the rules is high.
Thanks!

The ally you pay for with Radagast's resources must have the Creature keyword. So no, you can't pay for Gandalf this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that from the FAQ or a reading of the card? Because the card says 'can' not must or 'can only'. I'm not trying to twist the rules, but an extra coin or two sure would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
mbmbmbmbmb
"Can spend resources to hire a creature ally"

He can only use it for character cards with the creature keyword.

The card tells you the only thing you can do, use his resources to pay for creature ally cards. You can't say that you can do anything with the resources because it doesn't list everything that you can't do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'll go with that as it does seem to be the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikisknight wrote:
Is that from the FAQ or a reading of the card? Because the card says 'can' not must or 'can only'. I'm not trying to twist the rules, but an extra coin or two sure would help.

If you read the rules on paying for a neutral card, you'll see that it explicitly mentions paying with resources from a hero's pool. Radagast is not a hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to expand on this a bit more - since Radagast is not a hero, you can't do ANYTHING with his resources unless a card says you can. Fortunately, Radagast himself provides that.

On the other hand, once Grimbeorn the Old has 8 resource tokens on him, he joins someone, but that doesn't mean that those resource tokens can be used for anything (they can't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Svard
Sweden
Göteborg
VGR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chieftan Ufthak also colects resources.
What if I have Gandlaf in my hand. Can Chieftan Ufthak pay with his recources to place Gandalf as my enemy?!?

http://www.cardgamedb.com/slir/h288/forums/uploads/lotr/chie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.