9 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Devoured investigator = shuffled back? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Qin
msg tools
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Arkham Horror, and there's one part of the rules that I find very weird: when an investigator is devoured (except during final battle of course), he is shuffled back into the unused investigator stack, and then the player will pick one at random to use, which means the freshly devoured guy may be picked right away. Isn't that strange? From a logical sense, aren't devoured investigator supposed to be removed from the game? I've checked the newest errata/faq and there's no change at that rules. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
HeresiarchQin wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Arkham Horror, and there's one part of the rules that I find very weird: when an investigator is devoured (except during final battle of course), he is shuffled back into the unused investigator stack, and then the player will pick one at random to use, which means the freshly devoured guy may be picked right away. Isn't that strange? From a logical sense, aren't devoured investigator supposed to be removed from the game? I've checked the newest errata/faq and there's no change at that rules. Thanks!

You have a small chance of getting him back especially with less players.

However, I believe this rule is in place to prevent you from purposely devouring a character and hoping to draw a better one. If you ge the same one, that is just another way the Mythos says screw you.

If you want a new character though, it will be fine if you set him aside forever or only while you draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I could have sworn that was actually a possible lose condition.

I remember (perhaps it was a homerule I saw somewhere then?) reading at some point that you put devoured investigators back in the box, out of the game, and then drew a new investigator from the stack of unused ones. And, then, if someone was devoured and there were NO investigators left, that was a game loss condition, like running out of gate tokens or running completely out of monsters, etc...

I wonder where the hell I got that from...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
Really? I could have sworn that was actually a possible lose condition.

I remember (perhaps it was a homerule I saw somewhere then?) reading at some point that you put devoured investigators back in the box, out of the game, and then drew a new investigator from the stack of unused ones. And, then, if someone was devoured and there were NO investigators left, that was a game loss condition, like running out of gate tokens or running completely out of monsters, etc...

I wonder where the hell I got that from...

You are thinking of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. The ability to execute characters was introduced in Pegasus and continued in Exodus. A new loss condition was established that characters were gone for good and if you ran out, Humans lose.

This has never been a lose condition for Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness has a loss condition if all the investigators are eliminated. In Arkham, they can be drawn again... personally I don't allow that though. If someone's dead, they're dead. There are far too many investigators for my team to simply run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Qin
msg tools
That's also the rule for Elder Sign.

Personally, we use the rule that dead investigators are dead, although in AH investigators aren't so easily devoured anyway (we don't use expansion sets yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Malkowski
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the concern is that players will try to kill off undesirable investigators why not apply a harsh penalty (say -2 or -3) for each devoured investigator when using the victory scoring rules? This should help to proclude players from this activity while allowing the investigator to be permanently removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
keithm wrote:
If the concern is that players will try to kill off undesirable investigators why not apply a harsh penalty (say -2 or -3) for each devoured investigator when using the victory scoring rules? This should help to proclude players from this activity while allowing the investigator to be permanently removed from play.

I don't know that it is specific to killing the weak. I just think it is a means to keep the randomness there that, oops, you got the same character back. I don't think it is that big of a deal if you do kill your investigator though I do wonder why that wasn't a factor in the scoring (besides the final battle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
keithm wrote:

Well, one of the investigators in an expansion set has another expansion set addition that gives him a *bonus* if he becomes Devoured. It's actually kind of difficult to be Devoured -- you can't do it by losing Stamina or Sanity. You should be able to gank the system by giving all your items to another investigator then being devoured, but I've never seen anyone do this sort of thing (and I'd be the first person to do it!). It's certainly not a more common thing than camping at the Curiousitte Shoppe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.