Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I really really liked the basegame. I watched Tom vassel's review on YouTube and was hooked. The only minor thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't fleshed out enough..
cyclades was a beautiful naked women with whom you could make love but turned out to be a real live doll...Hades not only turns her into a real live women but also dresses her up in leather and gives her handcuffsand a whip...
there are 4 modules to use in the base game so that you can incorporate them one at a time if you're not into hardcore stuff or you can just lube that stuff and try and fit it all in all at once.
The first one lets you choose your own islands. You do this by bidding on the gods just like you usually would but the first player, the one on the first god, gets to place his 2 troops on the islands of his choice and the fleets next to those islands following normal rules. Then the second player goes etc etc.. You also get the basic benefit from the god you bid on. So for Zeus you'd get a priets, Athena gives you a philosopher, Poseidon a boat that you place next to one of the islands you chose and Ares, he's a meanie, he gives you an extra troop..this troop can either be placed on one of your 2 islands OR on a third unoccupied island thus giving either more space to build, more cornucopia or even both if there are still islands available..
Apollo offcourse gives you a cornucopia but you'll have to go last and take whatever is left..
You do not get the other benefits though, no building temples, no buying extra troops or boats, no mythical creatures this round etc etc..
then the first round commences, you did get a bit more gold to use for bidding but this round gives you NOTHING!!! that's right, no income in the first round, that means that you can't put all your gold on Ares in the bidding round because you'll do nothing this round then..
So it's choosing carefully between having the islands or god you really want and being able to actually do something in the first round.

Second module is: Hades himself..
Hades does not come into play every round like an ordinary god...He has a tile with 2 sides...On the first side is a threat track..numbers are marked from 0-9 and every round you'll roll the 2D6 provided in the game to advance a special pillar provided with hades. Should the pillar reach 9 or more Hades comes into play..you shuffle the gods like you normally would and place them on the board but you put Hades with his other side on top of the last visible god above apollo (depends on how many players there are, we turn the other 2 gods face down when playing with 3 players)
Hades lets you build a necropolis, zombie boats and troops and you can also move fleets and/or troops with Hades as long as there is an undead troop or fleet joining your fleets or troops. The Undead disappear at the end of this turn though so don't get cocky..
The necropolis is a building the size of a metropolis and destroys everything that is on the red square even if it's a metropolis so make sure you can actually build it before buying it. There is only 1 necropolis available so everytime Hades comes into play it can be rebuilt on another island and even by another player (if he gets Hades) The Necropolis has as benefit that it gets 1 gp for each living unit that dies, troop or fleet..At the beginning of his turn the player with the necropolis reaps the benefits of war by adding this gold to his income..

The third module lets you hire Heroes. There are 6 heroes available whom can fight for you like normal troops or sacrifice themselves for a one trick pony each wich lets you do amazing shit beyond comprehension...really...
one example is a chick who's name i can't quite remember but she's an amazon and if you sacrifice her when you build a metropolis you can build it on a secret location only known to the amazons and you..you can put a metropolis tile on the Hero card and put it in front of you.
They also come with plastic models just like the mythological creatures provided in the base game.
the "downside" is that they have an upkeep cost that you pay right after you get your income..if you don't pay up they walk out on you.
You should also keep in mind that although these are mixed into the mythological creature deck they do not count as being mythological creatures so for instance; you can't discard a hero using zeus's power and put another card in place..

the last module brings more gods to the game...8 gods with 8 different benefits..these gods are placed next to the last active god above apollo and the player bidding on this god also get the divine favors of the lesser god next to him..these provide you with either a priestess or a magic item. A priestess can be used to avoid paying the upkeep for a hero OR to keep a mythological creature with a model like polyphemus an extra turn on the board instead of discarding him.
The 10 different magic items give you benefits throughout the game but can only be used once and are removed from the game afterwards.
They also provide a second benefit that can be only used the turn they're into play. example: Dionysus let's you build a theater wich acts as a wildcard for 1 of your 4 buildings needed to have a metropolis.

apart from that: a couple of new mythological creatures and 1 with a model, Cerberus (wich you can put on an enemies island and during the income phase you'll get the income from that island instead of your opponent!!!)
AND: a multi language rulebook...that one i really liked, i'm flemmish speaking and i can speak french as well but when i bought the base game it only contained french rules wich was a pain in the ass 'cause my english is better (reading at least, written...meh, i'll let you decide whistle ) So this was a nice surprise..
i'm sold..i like this game so much that i bought the Plato magazine to have the Manticore card wich was otherwise only handed out at Spiel 2011 and i'm looking to find Hecate as well...it's a great aggressive game that will turn on you in an eyewink

English rules and cards explanation in these 2 links:
http://www.matagot.com/docs/CycladesExt_rulesEN_lr.pdf
http://www.matagot.com/docs/CycladesExt_sheetEN_lr.pdf

in short: it adds more depth to an already great but simple game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:
cyclades was a beautiful naked women with whom you could make love but turned out to be a real live doll...Hades not only turns her into a real live women but also dresses her up in leather and gives her handcuffsand a whip...

I don't know about that. I got the impression she was still a naked woman...

Great review - thanks for typing it up. Can't wait to get this and try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:
The only minor thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't fleshed out enough..

It's only the third sentence and this slipped past the mods.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysson Lago
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info! How about playtime? Is the game longer with all modules?
By the way, have you played with all modules thrown together or only a few at a time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
SliverXII wrote:
atzerath wrote:
The only minor thing I didn't like about it was that it wasn't fleshed out enough..

It's only the third sentence and this slipped past the mods.shake

[RSP comment removed]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trés Lambaste
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not surprisingly laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Weeks
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hopefully some shirtless men in the heroes or demi-gods
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbear wrote:
hopefully some shirtless men in the heroes or demi-gods

What's good for the gander should be good for the goose!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alyssonlago wrote:
Thanks for all the info! How about playtime? Is the game longer with all modules?
By the way, have you played with all modules thrown together or only a few at a time?

We knew about the first module in advance because i downloaded the rules so we were used to that one already but after buying the game i used all modules at once...No softcore bs for me thank you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHARALAMPOS PAPADAKIS
Greece
HERAKLION CRETE
Non-US/Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello there.

I play with my greek friends the game Cyclades expansion Hades. We have few questions. 1) A Necropolis is count as a Metropolis if a player (4 players game) has a Metropolis in his islands and a Necropolis in the other he could win the game at the end of the round or he needs 2 Metropolis to win...?! 2) The rules about Necropolis wrote that if a living unit (soldier) die in battle we put one coin in Necropolis. The living units are only the soldiers or ships count too?! 3) Could I put Cerverus creature in enemy Island?! 4) About the creatures - Hero deck question. We face-up cards of creatures from the deck in positions 4coins-3coins-2coins. We put Hero too. If a Hero is in position cost 2 coins to buy him and none player want him, at the end of the round is discarded and go to discard creatures deck or goes back to the box...?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CharisP2014 wrote:
Hello there.

I play with my greek friends the game Cyclades expansion Hades. We have few questions. 1) A Necropolis is count as a Metropolis if a player (4 players game) has a Metropolis in his islands and a Necropolis in the other he could win the game at the end of the round or he needs 2 Metropolis to win...?! 2) The rules about Necropolis wrote that if a living unit (soldier) die in battle we put one coin in Necropolis. The living units are only the soldiers or ships count too?! 3) Could I put Cerverus creature in enemy Island?! 4) About the creatures - Hero deck question. We face-up cards of creatures from the deck in positions 4coins-3coins-2coins. We put Hero too. If a Hero is in position cost 2 coins to buy him and none player want him, at the end of the round is discarded and go to discard creatures deck or goes back to the box...?!

1 yes; 2 i mention it in the review, read it, i just reread it and liked it very much..solid review, well written with the occasional joke but clear and gives you a good idea about the expansions..solid stuff there 3, like bro...read the damn review...you think i wrote it for shits and giggles? I'm a goddamn budding flower and my beauty lies in my reviews. 4 that one is stipulated in the rules i but iirc you put him in the discard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.