Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I go to the main subject of this thread, let me tell me something about my gaming group. I play tabletennis and a couple of those players like to play a game when the training is over. We used to play trick-taking games like Wizard, but since that went over very well I tried some different games with them. Last year the Dominion but bit us and it rapidly became our favourite game.

One of the players in that group is 20 (?) year old guy who is almost blind. I don't know how he does it, but he still manages to play tabletennis. He's also one of the persons who likes to play games a lot. Reading cards is a problem for him though. When playing trick-taking games he can see which cards he has, but he can't see them all at once, so he has no overview of his hand. That means he can play by the rules, but getting any strategy in is hard for him. Still he enjoys to play trick-taking games.

Unsurprisingly, his favourite game is Dominion. He doesn't have to evaluate his whole hand to play, a lot of it is simply going through the motions. The reading part is a problem though. He can just read things like '+1 card' or '+1 buy', but the smaller text at the bottom of the cards he simply has to remember. He uses the pictures on the top of the cards as an indicator for which card he has in hand. I think you can imagine this is a pretty hard for him to do, because every game of Dominion the selection of cards changes. Especially with all the expansions this becomes a very hard job.

Last tuesday something happened which made me think. We played a game with a lot of new cards and a lot of choice cards from Intrige. He even apologised for being slow and one the guys joked that he couldn't play with us the next game because of his speed issue, he instantly believed that. He was very submissive when he tried to conform whether he was allowed to play with us the next game or not. "You know, because of my handicap..."

This made me think. The guy really does his best to play along with us and enjoys it a lot. Also, he is very thankful that he is allowed to play with us. At the same time we try to hurry him up and make jokes about him not being allowed to play with us the next game. Even though that's just joking, it is not fair. He deserves a lot better. And maybe it is because of the time of the year, but it made me come up with an idea. And it's an idea where I could use a little bit of help.

Every game of Dominion comes with some blank cards. I thought it would be nice to make a custom set of Dominion with these blank cards. The texts on the cards can be written with a much larger font, which finally makes them readable for him. Now I have some randomiser cards, but they are by far not enough to build a complete Dominion set with them.

Of course, some players make good use of these cards, but in a lot of cases these cards are just lying around. I was hoping some people were happy to part from them for this project. When I manage to collect enough of these cards I can offer him his own Dominion set with enough Kingdom cards to make every game different.

I don't know yet how I get to all the money and victory point cards that I need, but that's for later concern, just as a box or something to store it in. I mean, when I have enough blank cards to use as Kingdom cards we can always use the money and victory point cards from my base set.

The second part is selecting kingdom cards that will be part of this project. A lot of cards from the base set are perfectly fine, but cards like Library have a lot of text and are therefor less usefull. I was hoping you could give me some advise on which cards should make it to this set, while at the same time keeping the same amount of strategy options that the base set has to offer. I mean, villages are nice cards for this project, but 10 different villages don't offer a lot of different strategies. You get my point.

So, in short, I was hoping there would be some Secret Santas around that are willing to help me out with this project by offering some blank cards. I think it would be really nice for the almost blind guy to have his own set of Dominion where he doesn't have to worry about readability and memorisation all the time. Also, I can use some help determining which kingdom cards should make the set. If you need my adress, you can always geekmail me!

Merry christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was curious to know if you sleeved your cards? Another option would be to do this and just do print outs for the ones that are hard to read. Might be easier than trying to (eventually) hand write around 1600 cards.

There are 1597 cards in Dominion (not including the base treasures, victory, potion, and curse). If someone has the entire set of cards (including promos), they would have 43 blank cards (not counting the blank randomizers). So if you got 37 other people to help you, and each of them did like 3 standard Kingdom cards (10 each) and a Victory Kingdom card (of 12 cards), it might be a more reachable goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:

The second part is selecting kingdom cards that will be part of this project. A lot of cards from the base set are perfectly fine, but cards like Library have a lot of text and are therefor less useful.

For cards like Library, just use an abbreviated version of the text that is sufficient to jog his memory. For example, for Library, I would put something like "Draw up to 7; may set aside actions". Before each game starts, read out the full text of each card (we usually do this anyway), and the short "reminder" text should then be good enough to use during the game.

If you post your address, I'll happily send you all my blank cards, paying the postage myself. I'm sure enough other people will do the same that you'll have enough blank cards to make a full set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1. Scan the cards into your computer (or find the ones on BGG).

Step 2. Print a set of one of each kind of card out that is 2-3 times their current size. Give those print outs as reference to your friend.

Step 3. Allow him to use the reference cards during the game. Politely ignore the time he takes to use the references.

Step 4. Profit. If by "profit," you mean, "enjoy a fun game of Dominion with your friend."

(Edited to close my quotes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enfynet enfynet
msg tools
mb
Dang I was about to post that very same thing. Reference sheets would work great if he can still read the card title and identify the image easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a very good home for my blank Dominion cards. I'd be more than happy to send them to you! Of course there are other alternatives, but I appreciate it a lot that you'd go through the extra effort to make him his own Dominion set with which he can feel comfortable! Above that, it is a wonderful way to tell him that you are totally fine to play with him and don't mind about the extra time that he takes on his turn.

A lot of thumbs up for you, may you have warm and joyful holidays! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyckad nyckad
msg tools
mb
Hi all!

Buggy wrote:
Step 1. Scan the cards into your computer (or find the ones on BGG).

You can find all the cards scanned in http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/

I think it may be easier if you make a new version of each card, or at least each card he has problem with, in a way it is easy for him to recognize it (things like Andy Latto says, or bigger text without images, ...). Put a set of printed "new version" copies near/in front of the pile so he can read the text in the "new version". Each time he buys a card, he takes the "new version" (and an "old version" is removed) and put it in a sleeve with a card you don't use (treasure, or a card that is not part of the set of 10 kingdom cards).
If you play with sleeved cards, you can put all the "new version" in the "old version" card sleeves, and all the players play with the "new version" cards. Similarly to what people do with fan made cards. It's true I don't know how many cards will new a "new version", and may be impossible to have a "new version" for them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lange
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another idea.

Print one magnified copy of each card. Maybe with black-on-white text instead of the original colors if high contrast makes it easier to read. When you randomize the kingdom cards you can simultaneously look up the corresponding magnified cards and put them next to him on a sideboard or something. Each time he draws his hand he can look at the artwork of each card, find the magnified copy in the tableau and easily read the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.