Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scouting, Changing Your Mind, Modifications and Island Blockage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can you perform a "scout" action while in port?

2) If you don't want any of the cargo you drew when buying goods, do you have to buy something or can you discard it all?

3) If you don't want to face either of the two nationalities after successfully scouting for a merchant, can you chose to not attack?

4) Are Ship Modifications revealed when you enter port, do a "port" action or when you have bought it?

5) Can you move from Port Royal to Havanna into Havanna's port, or is the island blocking you?`
(You can see the game board here: http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/files/merchants_marauder...)

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
1) Can you perform a "scout" action while in port?


No.

Quote:

2) If you don't want any of the cargo you drew when buying goods, do you have to buy something or can you discard it all?


You can get rid of it all. Some places you can draw extra or even discard and draw again (some cards or ports iirc have that effect)

Quote:

3) If you don't want to face either of the two nationalities after successfully scouting for a merchant, can you chose to not attack?


Yes. The token is just discarded and there is no bounty given.

Quote:

4) Are Ship Modifications revealed when you enter port, do a "port" action or when you have bought it?


When do you take a Port Action

Quote:

5) Can you move from Port Royal to Havanna into Havanna's port, or is the island blocking you?`


Yes you can; the island does not block you.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Some more I forgot and I feel it's not worth starting a new thread right away:

5) How many rumours are you allowed to have at once?

6) How many missions are you allowed to have at once?

5) When I play a Glory Card, another player may state if he wishes to do so as well, correect? May he see my card before he decides?

Thanks again
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Cizak"]Thanks. Some more I forgot and I feel it's not worth starting a new thread right away:

Quote:

5) How many rumours are you allowed to have at once?


Normally one but some Rumors allow you to hold a second Rumor. You can claim a second rumor and discard the first one if you like.

Quote:

6) How many missions are you allowed to have at once?



Only one. But like Rumors, you can get a new mission and discard the old one.

Quote:

5) When I play a Glory Card, another player may state if he wishes to do so as well, correect? May he see my card before he decides?


No. If multiple players play Glory cards, they are played face down and resolved in turn order.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Cizak wrote:
5) How many rumours are you allowed to have at once?


Normally one but some Rumors allow you to hold a second Rumor. You can claim a second rumor and discard the first one if you like.
Some rumor cards tell you to "keep this card face up" after you've resolved them, and provide some on-going bonus or effect. Once those have been resolved and placed face up they no longer count toward your limit, so you can keep that and still carry another (unresolved) rumor.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a bunch, guys. New one:

8) Getting a part of your ship destroyed fails a Merchant Raid, right? So if you MR with your starting hit one single card with a cannon hit is enough to make you fail?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:

8) Getting a part of your ship destroyed fails a Merchant Raid, right? So if you MR with your starting [ship, and] hit one single card with a cannon hit is enough to make you fail?


absolutly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
Thanks a bunch, guys. New one:

8) Getting a part of your ship destroyed fails a Merchant Raid, right? So if you MR with your starting hit one single card with a cannon hit is enough to make you fail?

Yep. A good reason to by those special weapons!
TK
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also to add to an earlier answer, yes sometimes you can play a Glory card in response to another one, so you have seen their card and if you have one you can then response to it by playing yours.

Scouting is deemed to be just looking at who is in your region, until you choose to attack it's still friendly, just like hailing a passing ship and asking for the local news

Enjoy the game arrrh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another one

9) Are your rumours visible for people to see, or do you keep them hidden?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
9) Are your rumours visible for people to see, or do you keep them hidden?
Rumors stay hidden until you try to resolve them.

Missions stay face up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
10) Can you flee once Crew Combat begins?

11) If both combatants lose their last crew on the last round and are tied in every aspect, combat ends according to the rulebook. But what happens to the players; do both die och do both survive?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
10) Can you flee once Crew Combat begins?
Nope. Once naval combat has ended and the ships are locked together in crew combat, it's too late to flee.

Quote:
11) If both combatants lose their last crew on the last round and are tied in every aspect, combat ends according to the rulebook. But what happens to the players; do both die och do both survive?
Since there's no winner to kill off the loser, both survive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
12) If you have one bounty, say Spanish, and attack a Spanish Merchant, do you get another bounty, or do Merchant Raids only generate a bounty the first time you attack a merchant of a nation?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
12) If you have one bounty, say Spanish, and attack a Spanish Merchant, do you get another bounty, or do Merchant Raids only generate a bounty the first time you attack a merchant of a nation?


You get another each time. The price on your head rises until you have a rich prize of five bounties on you and the NPCs and other players hunt you down like the filthy scurvy dog you are! arrrh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
13)When you chose "Flee" as your combat action, do you still roll dice (so that even if you fail to flee your opponent does not get to use all of his cannons)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
13)When you chose "Flee" as your combat action, do you still roll dice (so that even if you fail to flee your opponent does not get to use all of his cannons)?
Yes, you still roll seamanship because you need at least once success (and no successes by your opponent).

If you "win" the roll but the other player had at least once success they do get to fire cannons for those successes.

The only time no rolling is required is when both players choose to flee (chasers could still get used, though).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If two ships are "Shooting" at eachother. How many cannons may the player who lost the seamanshop roll fire?

Say for instance the seamanship roll was 3 successes for the winner vs 2 success for the loser.

Also say both players had non uppgraded frigates (3 all stats).

The winner would "Hit" with all 3 of his cannons, roll to see where they hit. How many would the loser hit with? Would he roll once for each cannon and apply successes like hits? or do the 2 successes in seamanship roll count as the 2 cannons he hit with?

Basically what does the loser get fire? (aside from his helmsman who is obviously drunk on rum since he lost the seamanship roll)

Adam
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamacer wrote:
If two ships are "Shooting" at eachother. How many cannons may the player who lost the seamanshop roll fire?

Rules page 14, column 2, under "Action!":
Shoot Win: Inflict a hit with all your "Cannons".
Tie or Lose: Inflict a hit with each die that came up a success (up to the number of "Cannons" on your ship).

TK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Adamacer wrote:
If two ships are "Shooting" at eachother. How many cannons may the player who lost the seamanshop roll fire?

Rules page 14, column 2, under "Action!":
Shoot Win: Inflict a hit with all your "Cannons".
Tie or Lose: Inflict a hit with each die that came up a success (up to the number of "Cannons" on your ship).

TK


So to clarify, since the loser got 2 successes he would get to shoot with 2 cannons.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cizak wrote:
tkelly wrote:
Adamacer wrote:
If two ships are "Shooting" at eachother. How many cannons may the player who lost the seamanshop roll fire?

Rules page 14, column 2, under "Action!":
Shoot Win: Inflict a hit with all your "Cannons".
Tie or Lose: Inflict a hit with each die that came up a success (up to the number of "Cannons" on your ship).

TK


So to clarify, since the loser got 2 successes he would get to shoot with 2 cannons.

Provided he had at least 2 Cannons, yes.
TK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Karlsson
Sweden
Ljungby
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Cizak wrote:
tkelly wrote:
Adamacer wrote:
If two ships are "Shooting" at eachother. How many cannons may the player who lost the seamanshop roll fire?

Rules page 14, column 2, under "Action!":
Shoot Win: Inflict a hit with all your "Cannons".
Tie or Lose: Inflict a hit with each die that came up a success (up to the number of "Cannons" on your ship).

TK


So to clarify, since the loser got 2 successes he would get to shoot with 2 cannons.

Provided he had at least 2 Cannons, yes.
TK


I was referring to the example provided, that the players had undamaged, unupgraded frigates. But yes, you can never fire with more cannons than you have
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.