Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb

Well with christmas and all I finally got my hands on this game that has been on my wish list for over 6 months.

I've played 5 solo games so far. I had been warned by the various posts and comments on BGG that this game can be tough to beat. Despite playing only the introductory scenario, I got trashed on the first 4 games. I played the leadership, tactics and spirit vanilla decks. To my surprise, where leadership and tactics got me nowhere, I almost breezed through on the spirit deck. I'm not sure whether that is just good luck on card draws or if that deck is more suited to get through this scenario...

But luck does play a big part. On my first playthroughs I often drew a Really nasty card just when I really didn't need it! Conversely, with the spirit deck I drew the Galadhrim Greetings at game start. The much reduced threat combined with Dunhere ability to target enemies in the staging area meant that I could sit back and slowly take down the throng of giant spiders roaming ahead. I also got a nice boost with two Favor of the Lady attached to Eowyn, resulting in pretty darn fast progress made on quests.

So what's my verdict?

As someone quite new to CCG, I definitely enjoyed it a lot. I sometimes find the luck factor a but unnerving, but since I can easily explain it away with the theme it doesn't bother me much. Besides, I have no doubt that a good player with a custom deck can always turn the tide in his Favor.

I'm really looking forward to my first coop, and building my own deck by mix and matching the basic set.

Rohirim, chaaaarge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you are doing better than most newcomers for you first few games. I usually tell people who are starting solo play to lose their first 12 games as quickly as possible. The idea is that you need to play a number of times to learn the nuances and to see possible strategic ploys and tactical plays.

There is general agreement that the core tactics deck is the weakest when played solo. There is debate whether leadership or spirit is the strongest. I believe spirit is the strongest with leadership coming in second.

You will probably need to make a custom deck to beat the Anduin quest solo. For now, don't even try Dol Guldur solo. Another alternative many people like is to play with two decks as if you were two players. This actually works quite well since this is a co-op game where all the players are on the same side.

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weidus
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you start to get a feel for what an encounter deck can throw at you, you can start planning a head for worst case scenarios, so when they do happen, its not so much as being unlucky, but more of being ready to counter whatever the encounter deck just threw at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the beginner scenario from the Core Set with the standard Lore deck. Lost twice in a row! There just doesn't seem to be enough characters in the deck, so I get loads of events, but not enough to help quest, defend and attack, when you only ever seem to have your three heroes and maybe some other weedy expendable wilting ally!

Perhaps will try with a two colour solo deck-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactics and Lore are the hardest solo. Leadership and Spirit are the easiest. But even with the best custom-built deck, you can lose if the cards don't fall your way.

As I said above, lose your first 12 games as quickly as possible. There is a learning curve here. After you've played a dozen games or so, your winning percentage should improve significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that advice. With Quioxtian persistance I played a third game solo with Lore deck and after a mulligan, had three allies in fiorst hand, and that was (just) sufficient to win the game. Phew!

I think I know the three enemy decks that make up the Passage thru Mirkwood scenario, but hasve still to get familiar with the core sphere cards and how they interract. Will try second scenario now with two-sphere solo decks.

Love the game. Each game is just such an exclusive story that unwinds as the cards fall and interract. Brilliant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
BitJam wrote:
lose your first 12 games as quickly as possible. There is a learning curve here.

totally agree with you there,

I was failing hard when i first started and blamed it on bad luck,

but now i realize it was just me being noob,

after couple dozen loses, I finally started to

save money for worst case scenario to activate event,
lower threat / heal at the last possible second,
if it means clearing all enemies engaged to you, take undefended hits and threat damage from quest

once I started to catch on and got to know the encounter deck, difficulty level suddenly dropped by like a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.