Subject: Interception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who takes the next turn in these situations.

1) Player A successfully intercepts player B's pass and in doing so kicks the ball to player B.

It appears that player B gets to move 1+any remaining spaces that the ball had to move. But does player B also then get to move next because player A made the last successful interception?

2) What happens after Team A's goalkeeper saves the ball and it rebounds and hits player B's forward. Player B gets to move the remainder of the moves. But who's turn is it next? I'm guessing A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose with 'player' you mean manager:

1) Player A successfully intercepts player B's pass and in doing so kicks the ball to player B.
It appears that player B gets to move 1+any remaining spaces that the ball had to move. But does player B also then get to move next because player A made the last successful interception?

Yes.

2) What happens after Team A's goalkeeper saves the ball and it rebounds and hits player B's forward. Player B gets to move the remainder of the moves. But who's turn is it next? I'm guessing A.

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in hearing why each player was restricted to intercepting the ball "at the first eligible space the ball crosses".

Sometimes it could be more useful to intercept it at the second space that the ball crosses.

I understand that it could be another example like the forced player foul, where you are relegated to the role of manager that has limited control over these events.

However, it seems that there would have been more options by allowing each player to intercept once at any of the eligible spaces.

This is not intended as a criticism, I am merely interested in the thought processes that resulted in the printed rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
For a long time it was like that: choosing 1 of the 2 adjacent spaces if the ball passes diagonally.
But that rule had 2 "disadvantages":
- It happened more-than-I-liked that you choose to roll the interception die in the hope it fails and your players gets 1 step closer to the ball. Leading to:
- That made holding-more-players-in-defense more powerfull, possibly too powerfull.
Once I tried the rule that the first spot is the only chance to intercept and that was immediately liked by the players who knew the game longer. The old rule isn't bad too, but when you try it you will see it's significantly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Good point. There's enough backward movement in defence without adding to it through interceptions.

We also just realised that making as many interceptions as possible is the best way to run the clock down.

Fits in well with desperate all out dives to defend a marginal lead in the last minutes of the game.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you haven't heard me say it before your Powerboats is simply the best race game that feels like a real time race. I think i can speak for most when i say that it is the best loved filler by our North Auckland games group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you try to intercept a pass if our opponent has a player in that space.
Example. Player A passes the ball from 1 of his players, to a 2 nd player, which then finishes the pass to a 3rd player.
Player B has a defender adjacent to the 2nd player in this passing chain. Can the defending player try to intercept or does the opposing player block the attempt?
I have been playing than no interception is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general tenet for Cwali games is that everything is possible within the rules unless it is expressly forbidden.

I don't think that there is an example in the rules but I'm pretty sure that you can intercept the ball in your example.

The following is my understanding, after reading the other threads.

If the ball reaches another player (after an interception) then then the receiving players' manager takes over control of the remaining moves. It is considered to be an interception.

Whoever last intercepted the ball is deemed to have taken their turn. Play then passes to the other manager.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... So when the defensive player moves to intercept the ball does he move the offensive player one square over? If that is true, then the ball will be directed towards the offensive player that was just pushed one space over, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnasearchr wrote:
Ok... So when the defensive player moves to intercept the ball does he move the offensive player one square over? If that is true, then the ball will be directed towards the offensive player that was just pushed one space over, correct?

Ok I misunderstood your scenario. You are asking if you can shoulder charge during an interception? The answer is no. Shoulder charging only relates to when you throw a 1 with a d6 during the beginning of your normal turn.
Not when you throw a D3 to intercept.

More importantly, in your case the ball does not pass through an (empty) space adjacent to an outfielder so no interception is allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I missed the empty space part in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.