4 Posts

Whistling Death» Forums » General

Subject: Training Scenario 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
WHISTLING DEATH training Scenario 3 places one Corsair battling three Japanese Betty bombers flying straight and level in close formation.

Having reasonably thought that we understood at least the basic principles of the game flying mechanism, we added another Corsair to the melee and went for it with fairly high confidence. But, that was when things got "ugly".

The combat system is really a challenge to master. There are so many rules, covering basically... everything. Deflection, relative positions between shooter and target, relative altitude between shooter and targest, if plane was turning when firing or not, inverted or not; gun jams, different types of bursts (normal, long or short), different types of shots (snap or tracking), sighting bursts, arc of fire for fixed-gun weapons, deatiled rules for defensive fire, for formation flying, for formation combat, firing at same hex, head-on attacks. And, basically, for each rule there are exceptions, pre-requisites and explanations.

We persevered, aided by a great device: usually the play aids describes how to use the tables and the exceptions in themselves, so one does not need to keep going back to the rule book all the time.

Time went fast. Few turns tooks more than hour to play. Bu that was expected. And the admiration for the game just keeps growing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it seems overwhelming if you try to understand everything at once, but just take it a step at a time.

The real question is... did you shoot down any bombers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello, J.D.

We stopped the scenario after four turns, due to lack of time. We'll continue it in the following week. At the time we stopped, I had managed to get in a 90 deflection shot, two hex-range from the left Betty, by simply transitioning to a shallow dive altitude (SHD), rolling to left bank (LB), and making a Break turn. My friend, on the another hand, opted to transition to inverted steep dive (!), all the while rolling (including the free facing), and the Betties were aout of his firing arc for just one hexe!

My burst was an "08". After all modifiers applied I gave three hits (a critical) without being hit by defensive fire (we struggled a little bit with the defensive fire rules, but it went alright). My critical hit was at fuel linee, and the Betty had minor fuel loss (which I think would affect only the Operational scale game).

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Webster
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, looking for updates. The good news is that the third edition defensive gunnery rules and the flight tables have all been made easier and more logical to use.

JD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.