Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew - after a long hard December trying to make a short list of board games for my wish list - it came down to my wife chickening out and giving me a "voucher" to buy a game from the list.

I had hoped she would have done that - but alas. The tough choice is now down to me again.

The short list I sent her was:

* Runewars
* Defenders of the Realm
* Star Trek Fleet Captains

Those 3 games seemed to fit my liking for my game group (we are 2->4 guys that play every 2nd week).

I'm also open to other suggestions in the strategic fantasy/space genre.

We already got a bunch of games like Chaos in the Old World, Tannhäuser, Mansions of Madness, Battlelore, Descent.

We are all guys in our 30'ies with family+kids. So we cant afford to play games that take more than 2-3-4 hours of play every 2 weeks.

So which one would you pick?

Thanks for any thoughts on pro/cons about these

/Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played fleet captains a few times, and I think it's great, especially if you like Star Trek. In fact, if you DO like star trek, you're virtually guaranteed to love it. It's super thematic, and everything is tied very well into the theme. The game mechanisms all make sense and don't feel forced.

Downsides are that it's expensive, and the minis are unpainted, though they still look good and are easy to tell apart. Some of the click bases need to be cleaned up to rotate well. It takes a bit of time to understand from the rules, since there are a lot of them. It's not a light game, but it's not super-strategic either. It's an immersive experience. It plays 2 OR 4, not 3. I think 4 might be clunky, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

If you do NOT like star trek, you might not like it. If you are like me and have watched some star trek in the past but aren't a big trekkie, you will still enjoy it, since it's a good game by itself with a good theme. You definitely do NOT have to be a fan to enjoy the game, as long as you don't outright hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - yeah. I'm in your boat (and so are the others). We have watched Star Trek and like the theme. But are not trekkies.

I like the replayability aspect, I love to play with cool minis (although I've read the quality is........ not too good if you are unlucky). And you can win without combat.

Defenders of the Realm - it sounds like great fun here, where the group has to play towards a common goal. Not too many good co-op games out there that are hard core themed.

Runewars - strategic game from what it looks like in a cool setting. Not too sure about this one - mixed reviews. Could be super cool little stragegy gem.

We really wanted to play Twillight Imperium - but got put off by the required play time.

/T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
[Star Trek: Fleet Captains] plays 2 OR 4, not 3. I think 4 might be clunky, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

I only played it once, with 4p. It definitely didn't seem like it was at its best. I think some reviews go into more detail. So if you're mostly going to be playing with 3+, I would tend away from it.

Personally, I would go with Defenders of the Realm, but that's mainly because I love cooperative games. You'll have to decide how well that would go over with your group. I guess even if they hate it, you could play it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd initially probably suggest Defenders of the Realm as suggested above.

You do look like you MAY like euros, especially Euros which are mixed or hide under the guise of AT (Eurogame lovers tend to love Runewars more than the pure AT gamers In my opinion, though it is loved by both...I think it leans more towards the Euro side for those who love it's dynamics). If you like that AT feel, but utilizing NO dice and only a few limited cards with full information on what's been dealt...then I would HIGHLY suggest you try Runewars.

Caution with Runewars though, games can be short OR long, depending on number of players, paralysis analysis prone, and simple dynamics.

I could say either one could be good for you...I know that doesn't help you much.

I'd say the safe choice is Defenders of the Realm...the more risky choice is Runewars. Depends on whether you want to play it safe or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again.

Yeah - sounds risky to waste $ and worse - precious gaming group time on something that might/might not be loved.

So off to local board game shops and see if they have Defenders of the Realm on the shelf. Alternatively Star Trek. Rune Wars sounds out.

/Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.