Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to clarify some things with monsters.

A monster token can be added to a white boxed space on an adventure card.

This effectively replaces what it covers (e.g. If I succed in defeating the monster AND the other tasks (not covered by the monster) I will pass this event.

I succeed in covering all the symbols on the monster but not all the other tasks, I will defeat the monster (and gain the reward) and then fail the adventure and take the penalty (and the monster token will be removed and the next investigator will have to do the task which was covered).

If I fail to cover the symbols on the monsters, I will not pass the adventure and I will suffer the penalty on the card AND the monster token will remain covering any symbols within the white box and future investigators must refer to the above.

Is all this correct?

Thanks in advance.

-Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
All correct.

One more detail:
A partial monster task has to have the entire visible task completed (the monster marker requirements plus the part of the task not covered by the monster marker), before the monster is considered to be defeated. From the rulebook:

Quote:
A partial monster task is one that has some requirements that are not surrounded by the white border, the monster marker is placed on top of only those requirements that are within the border, and the requirements on the monster marker are added to those requirements that are not covered by the marker in order to complete the task.

and

Quote:
A partial monster task is one that has some requirements that are not surrounded by the white border, the monster marker is placed on top of only those requirements that are within the border, and the requirements on the monster marker are added to those requirements that are not covered by the marker in order to complete the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
ekted wrote:
All correct.

One more detail:
A partial monster task has to have the entire visible task completed (the monster marker requirements plus the part of the task not covered by the monster marker), before the monster is considered to be defeated. From the rulebook:

Quote:

and

Quote:

Hey Jude / thanks for the post / take some bad rules / and make them better / remember when you are trying to win / you must begin here at the forums

na na na na
na na na na

thanks jude. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
However if you use a spell (such as blind monster) to immediately defeat a monster, I believe you can claim the monster token immediately.

So the question is, if it is a partial monster task, do you immediately remove the monster, and now the task reverts to the original requirements that were under the monster token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
beyondEnvy wrote:
However if you use a spell (such as blind monster) to immediately defeat a monster, I believe you can claim the monster token immediately.

No, no, no, you do not collect the trophy immediately.

Read what it states in the FAQ.
Quote:
The monster is collected as a trophy
when the player’s turn ends (and not before)

beyondEnvy wrote:
So the question is, if it is a partial monster task, do you immediately remove the monster, and now the task reverts to the original requirements that were under the monster token?

In a reply from Richard Launius, he states that a partial monster task must be completed even with the use of a "defeat monster" card. So you cannot just defeat the monster on a partial monster task, you need to also roll the requirements of the remaining symbol (which is normally easy since it would be only 1 die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Chris, I just got the game over the holidays and have just been playing it interpreting the rules solo. I'll take a closer look at the FAQ. The main confusion I had was driven by the statement under Rules::Cards and Markers with a Locked Die Icon:

"Until that Adventure card is resolved, the Mythos card is no longer in
effect, or the task on that Monster marker is complete, that die
may not be added to die rolls and its result may not be used to
complete tasks"

Because it uses the word "OR" to me it reads that once you complete the "task" on the marker, not necessarily completely resolving the adventure card including all tasks, you unlock the die and can use it immediately. I had wrongly concluded this meant you picked up the marker at the same time.

From the FAQ::What do items mean when they say “defeat” a monster?:

"When a player uses an item/spell that “defeats” a monster,
that player chooses a monster in play (not necessarily
at the same adventure his investigator is at) and turns
that monster facedown...The monster is collected as a trophy
when the player’s turn ends (and not before)"

Seems like this would also imply the die is immediately unlocked for those monster markers that lock a die, but like you said, is pretty clear about not picking it up until the end of the turn.

Thanks again for referring me to the FAQ. I was a little lost on fantasy flight's forums and was under the impression the official FAQ didn't exist yet. Blunder on my part as it is directly linked from the main game website .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.