Mahjong» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ways of Konging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The site where I learned the rules of Hong Kong Old Style Mahjong from, mentioned three types of kongs: big melded kong, small melded kong and concealed kong.

Big melded kong is acquired if you have a concealed pung and you claim a discard.

Small melded kong is acquired if you have a melded pung and you draw a tile, which matches your pung.

And a concealed kong is acquired if you have a concealed pung and you draw a tile, which matches your pung.

So my question is... are those three options the only ways to get a kong? Can't I have a melded pung, then claim a discard to make it a kong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pasteet wrote:
Can't I have a melded pung, then claim a discard to make it a kong?

You could if that were allowed, but it is not allowed in any style of mahjong I know. I imagine a rule like this:

Each melded exposure must contain exactly zero (for a concealed kong) or one claimed tile.

So if you already had a melded pung, that would mean one of those tiles is already claimed from someone else. You only got two of those tiles yourself, and a kong is only awarded if you get three or four of them yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Each melded exposure must contain exactly zero (for a concealed kong) or one claimed tile.

So if you already had a melded pung, that would mean one of those tiles is already claimed from someone else. You only got two of those tiles yourself, and a kong is only awarded if you get three or four of them yourself.

Oh, I see. That makes a lot of sense.

I guess I didn't get the rules completely right in my first game then. Oh well, I'm going to remember them in my second one. That rule, and the right direction from who to claim tiles for chows.

I appreciate your fast reply.

Edit: Never mind, I figured out my second problem myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I apologize for double posting but I did not wish to create a new topic, since my new question was once again related to Kongs.

If someone declares a Kong and gets a replacement tile, I hear that I'm supposed to replenish the Dead Wall. But where am I supposed to take the replenishment tile from and where should I add it? I'm not supposed to take the last tile from the Live Wall and place it at the exact spot where the Konging player just took their replacement tile, am I?

I'd like some clarification on this issue of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't really matter too much, but the group I play with that plays Chinese Classical does it this way: Take one tile from atop the kong box. If that was the last one on top, put two more on top from the very end of the wall. Stop playing when there are 13 or 14 tiles left.

In riichi and Zung Jung, take the top tile of the last stack of the wall for a replacement. Replenish the kong box with the last tile of the wall, moving it to the head of the kong box. In MCR, there is no kong box, so you just take the top tile of the last stack in the wall.

In any case, you do the same thing you do to replace flower tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was as clear as mud. Sorry.

Let me define some terms for this discussion.
- Let's call the end of the wall that's normally used for drawing tiles the "head" of the live wall.
- The other end of the live wall is the "tail" end.
- The live tail is right next to the "head" of the dead wall, which is the same as the kong box.
- The very last tile in the wall is at the "tail" of the dead wall.

When you declare a kong, your replacement tile is from the tail of the dead wall. To replenish the dead wall (which not all styles do), move one tile from the tail of the live wall to the head of the dead wall. This might mean moving the bottom tile from the stack at the tail to make a single tile stack at the head of the dead wall.

Was I more clear that time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to visually simulate your replenishment method. Did I get it right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very close! I see you're playing riichi, but that shouldn't matter too much. In the third step, the bottom tile of the live wall (since that is the last one), would move next to the dead wall. It's not clear in your illustration which of those tiles would move.

Then you should just stop right there. So after the fourth kong, it would look like this:

LLL 42ddddD
LLL 31XXXXX

Where L are tiles in the live wall, number are tiles moved from the live wall into the dead wall in that order, D is the dora indicator, d are kan dora indicators (if used). So you always have 14 tiles in the dead wall. And in riichi, if there are 4 kan claimed, they must all be claimed by the same person, or the game ends in a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Ise
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, now I get it!

Once again, I thank you for quickly making me understand things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
I imagine a rule like this:

You didn't imagine that rule; it's actually the principle behind exposed kong, and the very reason why one can't claim a second discard to add to an exposed triplet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.