Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.

I have not cracked open Arkham Horror in a long while (Halloween '10). I have the following:

Arkham Horror
Dunwich Expansion
and all 4 of the small box expansions which were released PRIOR to the revised editions that have recently popped up (Goat, Lurker, Pharoah, King).

I purchased Miskatonic to get my Coolstuff order over $100 for the free shipping.

I have a few questions:

1. What did the REVISED small box additions add that I am now missing out on, based on my obsolete, older, small box editions?
2. Does the Miskatonic expansion presume that I have REVISED small box expansions?
3. Given my ownership of AH, and Dunwich, and Misk, what would you suggest as the next big box expansion to add to my AH horde?
4. Any reason to upgrade to the newer small box versions (may be answered in #1)

Thanks BGG community!!
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Only the Curse of the Dark Pharoah was revised. We just play the "hard" variant where you put the DP Mythos cards on *top* of the base game Mythos deck, and it's just fine. I'd also recommend something similar for the other decks as well!

2. It adds a few cards to the revised Cursed expansion, but I don't think you're going to miss out by not having revised Cursed.

3. Innsmouth is thematically awesome. However, if you've been playing the Final Battle often, Kingsport's Final Battle cards are also a good choice. I found it works well with the King in Yellow expansion!

4. Not yet. Get Innsmouth and maybe Kingsport first.

EDIT: Might want to ask on the forums if MH's Final Battle cards make buying Kingsport unnecessary for these cards.

EDIT EDIT: The additional five Exhibit Items can be used with either Dark Pharoah set. The additional nine Exhibit Encounter cards cannot (well, let me see what I can do...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
WeTheMeeple wrote:
Ok.

I have not cracked open Arkham Horror in a long while (Halloween '10). I have the following:

Arkham Horror
Dunwich Expansion
and all 4 of the small box expansions which were released PRIOR to the revised editions that have recently popped up (Goat, Lurker, Pharoah, King).

I purchased Miskatonic to get my Coolstuff order over $100 for the free shipping.

I have a few questions:

1. What did the REVISED small box additions add that I am now missing out on, based on my obsolete, older, small box editions?
2. Does the Miskatonic expansion presume that I have REVISED small box expansions?
3. Given my ownership of AH, and Dunwich, and Misk, what would you suggest as the next big box expansion to add to my AH horde?
4. Any reason to upgrade to the newer small box versions (may be answered in #1)

Thanks BGG community!!
Tim

1. Only Dark Pharaoh has been (and presumably will be) revised. Everything else you have is current. The new Dark Pharaoh updated a number of the cards and items, sacked the "Barred" mechanic and added a new roving "whispers" mechanic that can make the Exhibit Items more plentiful.

2. Sort of, as there are new Exhibit Encounters that are only relevant with the revised version. But mostly, MH just adds to everything in general.

3. Innsmouth, absolutely, which is my favorite big box expansion, by far, though I'd say Dunwich is probably more "essential" in terms of adding more items and Injury/Madness, etc. But since you already have Dunwich, Innsmouth it is.

4. I always like COTDP as it was, but the new version is good. Most people seem to think it is an improvement over the original, generally speaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Curse is a revised edition. Miskatonic has cards for the revised Curse.

Unless I am missing something.

Get Innsmouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

There has only been one small box expansion that was revised due to the changes in Miskatonic Horror, that's The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. The other ones work with Miskatonic already.

(edit: whoo! Triple-ninjaed ninja )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS GUYS!!
Again, the BGG community comes through!!!!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Miskatonic Horror for Christmas today. This is good to know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Getting revised Dark Pharaoh isn't essential, but it is basically better in everyway.

The most important aspect for me is the complete rewriting of spells and exhibit items. We often thought the spells were some of the weakest in terms of how useful they are from game to game. The revised edition spells are much more useful without been overly powerful.

It depends how many plays you get out AH, if a lot then the revised will be a good investment. If not then I wouldn't worry too much, the orignal still plays ok. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.