Subject: A couple of rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ferox Arcanum
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note I only own LoD and not WoA or CR so take that in mind.

1. What is the purpose of gold on item cards?
2. I drew a monster card that placed a feral troll on the mushroom in the Surface Hollow behind the narrow passage. He is supposed to move 1 tile closer to me but he does not fit on the narrow passage (I assume you could place him halfway so that he is on both tiles). Basically, can monsters with large bases walk through these narrow passages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) Campaigns. This allows the Item Treasure cards to be used in other D&D Adventure boardgames.

(2) This is mentioned specifically in the rules and FAQ. So long as the "center square" of the monster mini is on an empty square, the monster can move there. Errtu's card has a specific mention of this ability as his is the largest footprint in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferox Arcanum
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
(2) This is mentioned specifically in the rules and FAQ. So long as the "center square" of the monster mini is on an empty square, the monster can move there. Errtu's card has a specific mention of this ability as his is the largest footprint in the game.

Trolls do not have a center square though. They take up 4. Do all squares therefore count as the center?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
"The squares of the chasm or river are impassable to figures with bases
that occupy only 1 square; you cannot place a figure in those squares
or move one through them, only the bridge squares. A larger figure,
such as Errtu or a Feral Troll, can occupy such a square as
long as the figure is also on at least 1 bridge square. A
Hero cannot use an effect to place a Monster in a chasm
or river square unless the adventure specifi cally
allows it." -- page 16, Rulebook

Put the base of the Monster centered on one square. That square must be free. If the base of the mini is larger than just one square, than the Monster also counts as being on those adjacent squares as well. This extends to being on multiple tiles.

"If a creature with a base larger than one square is on more than
one tile, it counts as being on all the tiles that the base is on. For
example, Errtu counts as being on all the blue tiles. All the green
tiles are one tile away from Errtu." -- Page 8, Rulebook

So a large Monster such as the Feral Troll, Dinin, Errtu or Shimmergloom may spill onto adjacent tiles, but the base of the Monster must be centered on a free square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferox Arcanum
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I just got the game as a Christmas present from my parents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
"The squares of the chasm or river are impassable to figures with bases
that occupy only 1 square; you cannot place a figure in those squares
or move one through them, only the bridge squares. A larger figure,
such as Errtu or a Feral Troll, can occupy such a square as
long as the figure is also on at least 1 bridge square. A
Hero cannot use an effect to place a Monster in a chasm
or river square unless the adventure specifi cally
allows it." -- page 16, Rulebook

Put the base of the Monster centered on one square. That square must be free. If the base of the mini is larger than just one square, than the Monster also counts as being on those adjacent squares as well. This extends to being on multiple tiles.

"If a creature with a base larger than one square is on more than
one tile, it counts as being on all the tiles that the base is on. For
example, Errtu counts as being on all the blue tiles. All the green
tiles are one tile away from Errtu." -- Page 8, Rulebook

So a large Monster such as the Feral Troll, Dinin, Errtu or Shimmergloom may spill onto adjacent tiles, but the base of the Monster must be centered on a free square.

Although the example in the book shows this effect, it does not make sense. I dug up the tiles that Errtu is sitting on and they are configured like this (▓ = wall, ░ = open, ╳ = center of Errtu):

▓▓▓▓░░░░
▓░░░░░░░
▓░░░░░░░
▓░░╳▓░░▓
▓░░▓▓▓▓▓
░░░░░░▓▓
░░░░░░░▓
▓░░▓░░░▓

Errtu is squeezed into a corner, yet by that example it is on the Volcanic Vent tile which would mean it exists within the wall, and furthermore it would be adjacent to any hero on the first two squares of the Volcanic Vent behind the wall.

I'm also not sure that this squeezing ability applies to any creature besides Errtu, for while this ability is shown on the Errtu villain card ("Errtu can be placed over walls,") it is not present on Shimmergloom's villain card. The FAQ at the back of the rule book specifically states larger figures can be placed over the chasm or river, which are open spaces — so long as they have at least one foot on the bridge — but says nothing about placing them over walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then imagine some of the walls do not rise all the way to the ceiling. It does expose Errtu to more attacks but it also enables the demon to reach more heroes with its attacks.

If the huge Errtu can squeeze into the narrow passage, then it wouldn't be a problem for the large Shimmergloom and Troll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He also has a large reach ability. So even if his bulk is here, he can snap that whip very far...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're controlling Errtu while standing on a bridge that is blocked by a hero,
You-Shall-Not-Pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Castle_Ravenloft_RuleBook.p...

not just Errtu as it shows the dragon here.. 1st ravenloft rules and again mentions any large base character

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.