27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: I've had enough of "personal appeals" .. 1000 "appeals" ago rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: complaint [+] [View All]
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
Frankly .. i've had enough of those ultra annoying pieces of distraction that slides the page just when you have your eyes starting to focus on the page.

The first 100 times it was just an annoying distraction. But now, after 1 gazillion times of annoying page slides, i'm so fed up with it that i am considering giving BGG a break until the sowerness passes me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You do realize that you can 'click' the little red X in the upper right corner of them, and then have that no longer appearing? It should prevent this from re-appearing again, from what I understood upon the matter...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
You do realize that you can 'click' the little red X in the upper right corner of them, and then have that no longer appearing? It should prevent this from re-appearing again, from what I understood upon the matter...
whistle

What he said works. Just click the little red "X" in the corner of the "appeal" ads.
If you donate $25 you can also disable all the ads on the site to make your BGG experience totally ad free. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloAugusto wrote:
Frankly .. i've had enough of those ultra annoying pieces of distraction that slides the page just when you have your eyes starting to focus on the page.

The first 100 times it was just an annoying distraction. But now, after 1 gazillion times of annoying page slides, i'm so fed up with it that i am considering giving BGG a break until the sowerness passes me.

So, should we consider this your personal appeal vs personal appeals? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
If you donate $25 you can also disable all the ads on the site to make your BGG experience totally ad free. whistle

I strongly recommend this. $25 is not very much for 1 gazillion page slides to vanish. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
PauloAugusto wrote:

So, should we consider this your personal appeal vs personal appeals? arrrh

Only if I get to have a personal appeal about users posting personal appeals against personal appeals.

Try saying that verbally five times fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Appeal: DENIED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Lownds
United Kingdom
Swansea
uk
flag msg tools
badge
Merry Christmas, you filthy animal
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was told this thread was full of appealing guys I thought it meant... Oh forget it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Ameritrash
United States
Statesboro
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
AFC
mbmbmbmbmb
Terribly sorry if the supporter drive is interfering with your ability to use the site for free in the manner you would prefer. The nerve of these people - making us scroll a little further down the page than usual, or click a red X to avoid minimal extra scrolling. It's inhuman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Takes a lot of audacity to complain about the appeals and NOT be a financial supporter of the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
No it doesn't. The site has advertisements and therefore doesn't need a single dime of our money.

Advertisements, patronage, pay-wall; broadcast TV is the first here in the US, Wikipedia is the second, and the New York Times is the third. Many people get annoyed when any two of the three models is mixed.

I am not smart enough to know how to make any one of the three models work, but then, that's why I don't own a business.

And part of one of the complaints was the poor markup of the appeal, such that after the page was all loaded it jumped because of the appeal, instead of putting in the tags to leave the area blank until it was ready to show. In fact BGG needs to do a better job of putting sizes on image tags so the "loaded" page doesn't keep scrolling away from the content I'm reading because it is now grabbing pics that are off-screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Compared to the public radio fundraisers, this is incredibly painless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PzVIE wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

I strongly recommend this. $25 is not very much for 1 gazillion page slides to vanish. meeple

Sometimes I find the adverts can point me towards games that I might not have otherwise developed an awareness so they aren't a complete negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
whistle

Im unsure why you only highlighted the red X part , you must be really mad at him!

Merry Xmas Grognads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
I've disabled ads, but I've kept the appeals around, even though I've already donated. The current three that are rotating are a bit humorous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
No it doesn't. The site has advertisements and therefore doesn't need a single dime of our money.

Advertisements, patronage, pay-wall; broadcast TV is the first here in the US, Wikipedia is the second, and the New York Times is the third. Many people get annoyed when any two of the three models is mixed.

I am not smart enough to know how to make any one of the three models work, but then, that's why I don't own a business.

And you obviously haven't run a web site.

Web ads get a *fraction* of revenue compared to ads you see on TV. It's doubtful this site could run without funds paid in by members.

You refer to three revenue models which is incorrect. The appeals are obviously not a pay wall. You have full access to the site without paying - just like with NPR. And NPR, regardless of what they say, does have advertisements. They're just disguised as "sponsors." The model used by BGG is in the ballpark of NPR's model - combination of ads and appeals.

Your comments just come off as more of the same audacious sense of entitlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
whistle

Point of order. They do reappear. They have for me at least, without logging out or clearing cookies.

So clicking that red X doesn't do a whole lot for very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

Sometimes I find the adverts can point me towards games that I might not have otherwise developed an awareness so they aren't a complete negative.

I don't get why people interested in boardgames should ever want to block ads for boardgames on a boardgame site. I *want* to be informed about new games, good deals, everything. I've clicked on ads in here many times.

For those who think Aldie et al are getting rich from those - from a recent post by an admin : "a $1,000 ad spend on BGG will get your ad displayed 1 million times and on average land about 2,500 users on your website"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
elgin_j wrote:
PzVIE wrote:
ejtracer wrote:

I don't get why people interested in boardgames should ever want to block ads for boardgames on a boardgame site. I *want* to be informed about new games, good deals, everything. I've clicked on ads in here many times.

For those who think Aldie et al are getting rich from those - from a recent post by an admin : "a $1,000 ad spend on BGG will get your ad displayed 1 million times and on average land about 2,500 users on your website"

They're not all Boardgame ads. Though I leave any non-flash ones running, since some are boardgaming ads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a real complaint? I feel like I'm being punked right now.

Is the minor two inch slide really so much of an inconvenience that you'd quit the site for a while? Bro I think you might have bigger issues than a simple appeal.

Deep breath... relax... play a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the appeals come back after a little while, might be only good for the browser instance that has been clicked in. Seems like it, doesn't seem related to my account in any way.

And the 2 inch slide does suck for the netbook I look at the site in now. Basically, every page has full screen ads or appeals on this little thing. But, like someone said above compared to other sources of information that ask for money, this is relatively painless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
whistle
dude163 wrote:

Im unsure why you only highlighted the red X part , you must be really mad at him!

Merry Xmas Grognads!
sauron
shake No, as I have MY: "big boy hat on" here...
COMPNOR wrote:
Point of order. They do reappear. They have for me at least, without logging out or clearing cookies.

So clicking that red X doesn't do a whole lot for very long.
I'm ONLY getting their 'newest ones' lately myself, and briefly at that, although I am "Ünterspecial" since I didn't update my browser to 'FireFUX'-11!1!!!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloAugusto wrote:

We'll miss you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like the progress tracker but not the large 'personal appeal from..', as I've already donated. But if I turn it off the progress tracker goes away

I'm pretty sure I'll get over it, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beans
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PollutedMonkey wrote:
crazylegs wrote:
I personally like the progress tracker but not the large 'personal appeal from..', as I've already donated. But if I turn it off the progress tracker goes away

I'm pretty sure I'll get over it, though...

That's odd. I have the appeal removed by pressing the red X, but I can still see the progress tracker.

I was able to see the progress tracker for awhile after donating, but it went away. To check it now, I just click on one of the other geek tabs and then back over to BGG. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.