Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought of an idea to make an homemade expansion that does not require shuffling cards into the players deck.

Each race has a series of special building they can build in their home realm. Each of them has a cost in gold and influence to build them. They stay in play like cities and reward and they can be activated once per turn by tapping them.

Each building has a number of Hit points ranging from 1 to 3. During a siege, the attacker can decide to destroy 1 enemy building when he attacks the home realm. The building will soak as many damages as it can take and the left over damage will be applied to the home realm.

When the home realm is attacked or receives damage from event cards, the player can sacrifice up to 1 building to soak damage and the rest is applied to the home realms.

To make sure players does not build always the same buildings, either the player takes a random selection of their buildings set at the beginning of the game, or either you need a level 2 or level 3 cities in influence to build some buildings. You cannot simply use 3 x level 1 stronghold.

Does it looks interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gathered some building ideas last night. I think I would make the building race specific. Each race would have a set of 5-6 building that they would keep in a separate stack. Else, if there is common buildings, there will be a stack in the middle of the board and 3 are going to be exposed at the same time.

The buildings will have a combined cost in gold and influence ranging from 5-10 and they will give around 2-4 structure point.

Buildings can only be destroyed by an enemy player who is willing to destroy a building. This is to make sure that event that attacks the home realm are still as deadly.

All buildings should be tappable building maybe except 1 passive building that could be used for defense. Here is an example:

Great Wall: Structure 4, +2 defense

Else, here is a couple of building ability ideas which can all be used once per turn:

- Destroy a gold card from your hand
- Destroy a unit card from your hand
- Look at the top 3 card of your deck reorder them or send them at the bottom. (or your discard)
- Draw 1 card
- Draw 2 cards and keep only units (not neutral cards)
- Attack Strength +X vs Players or vs AI
- Re-roll attrition die
- 2 influence spendable only on neutral cards
- 2 gold spendable only on units
- Upgrade a unit in your hand by 1 rank (ex: footman to bowman)
- Upgrade a unit to any level but pay the unit gold cost difference.
- Draw the 2 top event cards and reorder them.
- Upgrade gold card and pay cost in influence of target card.

I know that some races are harder to play than the others. Especially the elves. I was wondering if you had any ability ideas that could help power up the races that are weaker or harder to play.

After some playtest with 5 neutral cards, I have realized that it has the problem of making player decks too large, because buying cards is somewhat compulsive. So 3 neutral cards is the best. To make influence useful in the last half of the game, buildings would be perfect because they do not grow the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning the elves:
Maybe a building that gives you +1 attack (or defense) for each spent influence point? E.g. something like Tree/Ent guardians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spending influence for attack. Not bad. Else like discused in another thread, anything that makes the card cycle more or thin the deck should make the elves better.

Another ideas for buildings lately: try to make the 1 gold cards useful. Probably the lowest cost building would allow you to discard any gold card to get a power-up. This will make the 1 gold card useful even if you do not draw many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.