Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: FFPWiki [+] [View All]
Patrick Ross
United States
Winfield
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a Fight is part of a Danger resolution and the enemy is defeated, how are the associated Glory Points handled if you Press On?

I found two different interpretations in the rules:

1) I had playing as if they were treated as normal Danger-based Glory Points and are held in reserve. If so, they could be lost if the next Danger is failed (Page 13-Pressing On).

2) However, Page 16 (Collecting Glory) indicates that Glory Points from fights are collected immediately and would therefore not be at risk from Pressing On.

Any insights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 16 covers the general case of winning a fight.

Artifact Adventures are a specific case, and an exception to the rule.

You choose to Press On as soon as you overcome a Danger, which means winning the fight, and Press On says "don't gain Glory yet".

ANOTHER exception exists. Page 15, bottom under Cliffhangers says, in underline, that overcoming a Cliffhanger gains glory immediately BEFORE choosing to Press On or Camp Down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Pressing On is the general case, and the exception is that in Fights you always gain Glory immediately. This also simplifies the bookkeeping since you can escape from a Fight to pass it as a danger, but only collect Glory if you actually defeat the enemy. Whether or not you're supposed to get glory when you finally succeed or camp down might be difficult to track/remember otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Bonechi
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem and I think the correct procedure is as follows:

Case A) You are facing a Danger card that calls for you to pick an Enemy card and fight it. If you win the fight you immediatly get the Glory listed on the Enemy card (as per rule on page 16), you get also the Danger marker for having overcame the Danger card, and you discard the Danger card, since on pp. 14-15 is said "Note that in a Fight, the Glory Value of the Danger card is not used, but rather the Enemy itself has a Glory Value associated with it."
If you escape from the Enemy, instead, you still overcome the Danger card and get the Danger marker (as per the "Fight" rule on page 14), you get no immediate Glory for the Enemy card since you don't really defeated it (see page 16 "Esacping from a Fight"), but you keep the Danger card and cash in its Glory value if you decide to Camp Down, since you still overcame the Danger.

Case B) You fight a creature depicted directly on the Danger card on its Danger or its Cliffhanger side: you defeat the card if you win the fight or escape from it and you cash in its Glory value when you Camp Down (Danger side) or immediatly (Cliffhanger side). You did not fight an "Enemy", strictly speaking, since you drew not and Enemy card and thus are limited to the rules for Danger/Cliffhangers cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone, your case A is partly wrong;
if you escape an enemy which you drew as a danger, then you get no glory at all; the glory of the enemy REPLACES the glory of the danger and if you escape that enemy, you dont get any glory as per the fight rules.

I also think that as part of the fight rules, defeating an enemy lets you collect its glory immediately, no matter if it was a henchmen figure or an enemy card you drew as per a danger card.
As such, I think that as soon as you draw an enemy card, the rules regarding the fight supercede the rules regarding the danger.
if instead the enemy is listed on the danger itself, then yes, the glory is only collected when you camp down.

fighting an enemy is on the same level as resolving a cliffhanger, its a tense situation and I feel any glory associated with it should be immediately acquired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
if you escape an enemy which you drew as a danger, then you get no glory at all; the glory of the enemy REPLACES the glory of the danger and if you escape that enemy, you dont get any glory as per the fight rules.

Agreed.

Angelsenior wrote:
I also think that as part of the fight rules, defeating an enemy lets you collect its glory immediately, no matter if it was a henchmen figure or an enemy card you drew as per a danger card.
As such, I think that as soon as you draw an enemy card, the rules regarding the fight supercede the rules regarding the danger.

Agreed.

Angelsenior wrote:
if instead the enemy is listed on the danger itself, then yes, the glory is only collected when you camp down.

I would still say it's collected immediately because it's a Fight... but I just flipped through the deck and I didn't see any enemies that were directly listed on the danger side (there were a few on the cliffhanger side). The danger side all referenced enemy cards, so perhaps it doesn't matter anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Bonechi
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

fighting an enemy is on the same level as resolving a cliffhanger, its a tense situation and I feel any glory associated with it should be immediately acquired.

I see your point: I though that, having overcome a Danger through escape, I still got the Glory when Camping Down, but your reading of the issue makes more sense, actually. You still collect the Danger Marker, after all, and that is what overcoming a Danger results in, in the first place. So, if I escape an Enemy encountered through a Danger card, I get the Danger Marker, but no Glory: agreed.

And also, quoting from memory, I thought there were Enemies depicted on the Danger side, but I was wrong. And being only on the Cliffhanger side, there is no issue here: you collect the Glory immediately for having overcome the Cliffhanger.

Thank you, Angelus and George.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

It sounds like you guys already have this sorted out, but the official confirmation is:

- Any time you defeat an Enemy, you gain the Glory for that Enemy immediately (note that you use the Glory listed on the Enemy instead of the Glory listed on the Danger card).

- Any time you overcome a Cliffhanger, you gain the Glory immediately.

- For all other Dangers, you only collect the Glory when you Camp Down or recover the Artifact.

Hope that helps.

Happy Gaming!

- Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.