Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Risk Legacy has got to be one of the most innovative and exciting boardgame ideas I have seen in a LONG time. However, I have one problem with the game and that is the possibility of new players coming in after the world has been established and getting their clocks cleaned by the veterans and all their crazy missiles and starting locations.

I was thinking it might be an interesting idea to "Reset" and established world back to "Neutral" status. This would mean that all the continents would be unclaimed as well as all of the cities. Then at the end of each game of the campaign, players would be able to reclaim these cities and continent bonuses. It would be sort of like a "Second Season" for the game world. The only issue I see is the lack of "Resource Card" options available as a reward. Anyone think this is a decent idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander West
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
That seems like a fine plan for redistributing the prizes on the map. It's true there wouldn't be any prizes for "hanging on", but that seems okay.

Though, maybe you could calculate the maximum reasonable number of stickers that could have been deployed, and still place the difference. For example, if 5 players had played 15 games, 1 wins ever time and 4 lose. That's 60 losses over 15 games, 9 of which place minor cities. Therefore, if less than 51 coin stickers are on the board, maybe you could give 1 coin per game for 2nd place or something?

But really, I don't think awarding prizes is a big deal. It would be enough for a new player to the board to have an equal chance at owning missiles, good major cities, etc.

This is a clever solution to the problem I'd been considering, which is what happens if a campaign gets abandoned half way through? It seems much more fair to replay the existing games and re-chop the prizes with a new group than to just say, "well, I start with X, Y, and Z, you start with nothing. Good luck."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis "Moped" Sell
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I for one welcome our new computer overlords.
badge
Excuse me while I go put out some fires, literally. -ENC Matt Paniczko
mbmbmbmbmb
amwest wrote:

This is a clever solution to the problem I'd been considering, which is what happens if a campaign gets abandoned half way through? It seems much more fair to replay the existing games and re-chop the prizes with a new group than to just say, "well, I start with X, Y, and Z, you start with nothing. Good luck."

I actually bring this game out during our lunch breaks at work. Most times, at least one of the players are brand new. And even the ones that are unfamiliar at playing Risk in general have won a game. From our campaign, it seems as though they did a good job at providing some balance. A new player still gets to pick a race that has already been given powers. And most importantly, a new player starts with a free Star towards winning. This has caused I think three upset wins over our nine games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.