Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean really, there's nothing for losers, like me, to do. Am I the only one that feels like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Valentine's Day" is for 'couples' and we certainly shall HOPE they're not: "family oriented" then... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
marvac wrote:
I mean really, there's nothing for losers, like me, to do. Am I the only one that feels like this?
We were discussing this today actually. The fact that the holidays can be underwhelming if you don't have family to visit. Imagine how old folks feel that are all cooped up in a home with no one to visit them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I live in the Midwest but all of my family is in California and hers are on the east coast. Holidays are pretty much just the two of us. When I was young we use to have these big family get togethers with 20-25 people on Christmas Eve at my aunt's place and I do miss them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
marvac wrote:
We were discussing this today actually. The fact that the holidays can be underwhelming if you don't have family to visit. Imagine how old folks feel that are all cooped up in a home with no one to visit them.

That sad fact is I did. Nowhere to go and nobody is missing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why are all holidays for families only?

I'm always spending New Years' Eve with friends. Haven't spent it with family since my days in college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
marvac wrote:

Actually, that sounds like the perfect solution. You have no one to visit. And people in old folks homes that never get visitors... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always hated this. So many people--I would say a majority--are miserable over the holidays because they have to put up with relatives they can't stand. I will never understand the social construct that obligates us to put up with bullshit like this just because it's something "you're supposed to do."

If you like hanging out with your family, do so. If not, don't. So people who don't have family/close relatives can actually get some enjoyment from the holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Yeager
United States
Sykesville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because all the other days are for the people we want to hang out with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marvac wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
marvac wrote:

You're not alone (no pun intended). Holidays suck when you don't have family or you can't stand them. What really drives it home to me is that you are mostly forced to stay home & contemplate your aloneness because there are so few stores, restaurants, etc., open. You can't even pretend it's a normal day.

If it makes you feel better, here's what happened to me this Christmas. I went to my sister's house for dinner. She and her hubby have just finished a huge home improvement project. Their kitchen is bigger than my house (3 sinks, 2 ovens, and I counted 3 different refrigerators). But they decided not to leave room for a kitchen table. Just a huge center island with barstools around 3 sides. It only seats 9 people, and there were 10 people present. So, I took my plate out to the kitchen table that's still in the old part of the house. Not a single person asked where I was, or tried to make room for me, or expressed any concern over there not being enough space for everyone to eat together. Now that's what I call family! Next year I'll just stay home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Single people covet Married life.
Married people covet Single life.
Lonely people covet Big Family Life.
People with Big Families covet the peace and tranquility of being alone.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.
- Spock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coase wrote:
If you like hanging out with your family, do so. If not, don't. So people who don't have family/close relatives can actually get some enjoyment from the holiday.

It's easy to follow your advice, as long as the possibility never comes up.

The problem is telling your family that you don't really feel like hanging out with them when they're within easy reach and it's the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we should make a new holiday for people with no family or love in their lives(like yours truly). Call it Losers' Day. And keep the dumb-ass greeting card companies out of this! Because if you send a card to someone on Losers' Day, then you're just an asshole! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest calling it Test Tube Day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
marvac wrote:

Good point Mayor. Even though my wife and I were THRILLED with the idea we didn't have to deal with family this year... it still made us feel a bit lonley. But I blame that 6 hour break from SkyRim we took.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Single people covet Married life.
Married people covet Single life.
Lonely people covet Big Family Life.
People with Big Families covet the peace and tranquility of being alone.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.
- Spock.

I covet married life like I covet an olive fork in the eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My family makes my life.

How about Festivus for the rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends are my family. I often do thanksgiving at a friend's place and some of the other holidays with others. I don't care if I'm with my family or not. Friends are the family you choose. Your real family is ones that your stuck with for the rest of your life. If you ask around, there might be some singles event or some lonely for the holidays event that is in your area. I guess that is something that I love Boston/big cities for, there are plenty of them around. Meetup is a good resource for this. Community Centers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on, Rappak. Just because they're not related doesn't mean they're not family. My best friend is like a brother to me and we're not related. I'd pick him over my real family any day of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We attended a family event where one person got all demanding and basically watched TV the entire time instead of chatting and spending quality family time.

The clincher? One of us had to pick him up and take him home because he doesn't drive--and he lives pretty far away. Next time he can just stay home to watch TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.