Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Are we doing something wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, my brother and I are well into our board games and an awesome relative, knowing this, got us this bad boy for Christmas. It's one we'd both been after for a long time, and we were quick to set up a game.

Now, we went for Emergence (the intro mission) and played Marcus (myself) and Dom (himself) as they seemed like good "beginner" characters. So we set up the board, all the tiles, the initial enemies etc. We ended up looking at this...

So far so good. Now, I'm not 100% certain what the first Order I used was, but it was a pretty standard "Move & Shoot" affair. It was a successful assault, and the Drone on our starting tile went down without a hitch.

And then came time to draw our first Locust card.

Event - General
Swarm
Each Locust that is 5 or more movement away from the nearest COG figure [a Drone and both Boomers] moves until it is 4 movement away from the nearest COG figure.
Then draw a new AI card.

Which left us with this...

We were concerned that these enemies had essentially cleared 90% of the battlefield in one sweeping advance and there was still another card to draw.

Event - General
The Horde
Each Locust that is currently 4 or more movement away from the nearest COG figure [currently all four of them] moves 3 areas towards him.
Then draw a new AI card.

Well...shit.

This was crazy! All them made it to our tile on their first turn?! And they still had a card to draw?! There was no way this was right. We hadn't made some kind of tactical error, Dom hadn't even moved yet!

Still, we gulped in fear and drew the next Locust card.

Event - General
Firefight
Each Drone, Boomer, Kantus and Theron Guard attacks a COG figure within 3 range.
Then, each Locust that did not attack moves 2 areas towards the nearest COG figure and then attacks a COG figure in its area.
If no Locusts are in play, draw a new AI card.

That was it. I was wiped out in a hail of Boomer fire, Dom was severely injured and died the following turn. It had all ended in two turns. In just two turns, a force of Locusts, including a Boomer from literally as far away as it was possible to be on that map, instantly jumped to our position and annihilated us.

You know, I don't remember Boomers sprinting in the video game. Or perhaps teleporting is a more accurate term, because even Dom can only cover 6 spaces with a Roadie Run and one of the Boomers covered 9 in a single turn!

Can anyone please tell me what happened here? I used a shuffling method that works for all our other games, so I believe everything was sufficiently shuffled [draw order was #6,#3,#5]. Did we screw up the rules or something?

Here is an image of the cards we drew (top right) [image from dprijadi]

I'd like to thank shnar for his awesome Tilesystem sets and anybody who takes the time to read and respond in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what you did wrong: you forgot to curse your unbelievably crappy luck and take a minute to set the game up again and start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just luck of the draw. Looking at the picture however, I'd say first off that Marcus is in the "wrong" cover, other cover in his area would've given him +2 defense. Secondly, at least one Locust could/should've also been killed via guard.

Then again, 2 Drones + 2 Boomers attacking at once seems a pittance compared to the 2 Grinders, 5 Drones and a Ticker that were activated today via Firefight. Even then, it was only my own stupidity that prevented me from winning, had I moved Cole one or two areas more, two less Drones attack (or at least he has full cover on them) and he mostly likely remains upright, allowing Baird to kill the remaining Grinder and win the game (Scattered Mission).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Had I known that the entire enemy force would spontaneously close in us, I would have been in the other cover spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed in this game if there are a lot of Locust on the board, you can get swarmed very easy. When there are lots of locust, buckle down, find some cover, and take your time clearing most of them out (careful on clearing all of them, since that can trigger another spawn, massive where Wretches are concerned).

I've played Emergence twice and won both rounds. I wouldn't worry about it, set it up again and try once more, keeping mind to take cover and watch the health, dodging a lot too.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the guard reaction? I found it to be a life saver in certain situations.Also did Dom try to wipe that horde with a bolo?. And like shnar suggested- don't be afraid to dodge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Lyons
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe it was mostly a combination of bad luck and...well, entirely bad luck. I'm sure we'll have another game soon enough.

I was less bothered by losing and more by the unbelieveably fast enemies. Infinite range is one thing, but come on, speed Boomers are hardly accurate to the video game, now are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when i play , yes i encounter such annoying spawn that almost swamped my CoGs.. though it usually not a big problem if you are in cover and thin them out a bit.. if they grouped in 1 area then using BOLO is good option..

from my missions in GoW, the only times where i got mauled and lost BADLY is when im overconfident and advanced too quickly and got separated.. thats when things start to go wrong at once..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't the first to report that the cards came up in that exact order, and you won't be the last. It's so unbelievably difficult to survive that it's kind of funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guinch Nudrevil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the WTF draw. I've expérienced it couple of Times too. The général AI Cards are Reaaaally tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.