Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Simpson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to pick up this game to play with my wife and future children but for how light it is it seems to be a bit too expensive.

Which got me thinking, I judge alot of what I'm willing to pay for a game based on how "heavy" of a game it is instead of the components.

So anyone think Tobago is going to get much cheaper in the foreseeable future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the deduction mechanic; kids should enjoy that aspect as well.
Look for deals, it will be cheaper, but not a lot, since the components are very unique, and I don't see the game losing value anytime soon. The cool components help make the kid-factor quite high, as any chrome on a game keeps the interest higher, otherwise the video game console will take their attention away froom a dry game. Yet, it is dry mechanically, the kids feel their are part of the game the whole time, and it rarely lasts over the 45 min mark. If a kid enjoys playing clue, they might be more likely to enjoy Tobago. The name itself needs a better introduction: "Tobago: An Island of Exploration and Finding Treasures! might grab their attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:

There's one in the geek marketplace for $24. I don't see it going lower than that unless you buy it at a discount from a FLGS unloading inventory. http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=viewitem&item...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Simpson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with the one on the geek is it's $24 with 10 bucks shipping, so it's essentially $34.

$35ish just seems like quite a bit to pay for a light family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think light/heavy is the ideal criteria, for what it's worth. I look at whether it's a genuinely interesting game (and light games can be interesting too). A really interesting light game I could play with lots of casual folks would be worth a substantial chunk of money to me.

From my experience playing Tobago, I've got about 1000 games I'd really much rather play. It has amazingly cute pieces, but gameplay that just becomes tedious. Seems a shame.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Begin
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth it. Tobago can be as strategic as the people you play with allow it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a fun game. I recommend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good game fella! Really clever if you play proper (especially when treasure is chosen) though easy to learn and interesting for non-gamers and youngsters. Components are great so maybe that is why it is a bit expensive.

If you have kids and you think they would play it, it would be really worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about this game is once you get past the cleverness of the mechanic and "figure out" how it works... the game suddenly becomes very dull. It's a REALLY fun game the first few times you play, but again... it just doesn't hold up to multiple plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
The thing about this game is once you get past the cleverness of the mechanic and "figure out" how it works... the game suddenly becomes very dull. It's a REALLY fun game the first few times you play, but again... it just doesn't hold up to multiple plays.

I agree with this assessment of the game personally. The cool components in the game will keep the price up, and if you enjoy the "create-your-own-treasure-map" mechanic enough to play it 10+ times with your kids, I think it's worth it. If you all get bored of it after 3 plays -- which was my experience: 1 with wife and 2 teaching jr. high kids -- it's not worth more than 5 or 10 dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:
I'd like to pick up this game to play with my wife and future children but for how light it is it seems to be a bit too expensive.

Which got me thinking, I judge alot of what I'm willing to pay for a game based on how "heavy" of a game it is instead of the components.

hahaha

over here the game retails for $89
http://seriouslyboard.co.nz/games/tobago/

or more usually $99
http://www.allaboard.co.nz/pages/games/gamesearchresults.pht...

That is in NZ dollars so for US think $US68.90 and $US76

of course then we have to add postage as there aren't physical game stores that sell it.

Now just thank your lucky stars you aren't buying at our prices.
And go on- get that special game for Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brindelin wrote:

I judge alot of what I'm willing to pay for a game based on how "heavy" of a game it is instead of the components.

I don't mean to rain on your parade or play devil's advocate, but the problem with this kind of thinking is that - by this standard - games like Go or Chess should cost a LOT of money; except that you can buy a Go set for like, $5.

Just sayin'...

Furthermore, this is a niche hobby, so "mass-produced" is pretty relative in terms of keeping overhead costs to a minimum. Many game companies are run by a few, sometimes a single person. You're paying for a little bit of luxury, not just depth of game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, Tobago on average goes for around $50-$60 retail. To get it with shipping for roughly $35 is basically 40-50% off! If you want it cheaper and still in decently playable condition, you are setting yourself up for disappointment, my friend...

Otherwise, it's going to be a rare find for anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gesine Stanienda
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider Tobago a light game (however, there are fan-made rules to change the luck aspect to a more strategic game).
If you have non-gamers you want to play with, then this is a good game. Likewise if you have kids (they will find the deduction side of things challenging).
Also, if you have people who dislike reading during a game, this game is good since it has no in-game text.

It has really, really nice components. It has an interesting mechanic (though neither unique nor innovative). It plays under an hour.

I got it for 19 Euros incl. shipping. That is around 15 Dollars, I believe. That was a real bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know you'll like the game, $35 is a good price for Tobago. I personally don't love the game, but had a good run with it in my family. The components are very nice. It's a beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do yourself a favor and call yourself a collector first and game player second. That way you can justify all your game purchases, even the ones that sit on the shelf unplayed and in shrink for years. Works for me...

Oh and Tobago is a great game. Worth $35 in my opinion. If it's one of 10 in your collection, you'll get great value. One of several hundred maybe not as much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.