Popular Tags: [View All]
Roy Hasson
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello All,

I recently bought this game after lurking around it for a long time.
I tried to start reading the rules but I find that I don't feel like I understand them.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any recommendations for how to start learning the rules? Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is . . . a video . . . or a picture walkthrough . . . or something, on his site. That helped me understand the rules better. (Though, they're pretty simple, just unique!)

Not that anyone will actually play with me now . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like most other games, the best way to learn is by playing.

(Do people learn to play football by reading the rules?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
I learnt to play simply by playing. Read the rules with the board in front of you - set all of the pieces up and move them around. For your first game make sure that you follow the attack procedure step by step and do EXACTLY what it says at each step (and no more). The rules are not difficult but the game doesn't really connect rules and tactical consequences of them.
For your first game playing against some-one I would ignore the rules on Heavy Cavalry and Guards (you use them wrong for the first couple of games anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The annotated rules and FAQ in the files section (full of the designer's answers to rules questions over the years) are both essential. A few of the instructional videos are helpful. But little of it makes good sense until you can play it.

After that, you may not want to play anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with snowman's movement video, then move on to tyvek's situation videos, then zarion's attack sequence posts, then the annotated rules and the annotated attack sequence. Finally read the FAQ. Play a game. Then do it all again to discover what you did wrong. Repeat until you are error-free.

My experience was: first game could barely be recognized as nt; second was pretty good but with some major mistakes; third was very close to the game as written but with some minor mistakes; fourth and fifth games have been more or less error-free.

Is it worth it to go through that material so many time? I would say ABSOLUTELY. The game is a gem.

Be aware that some of the aids have some significant errors, so beware. Read the comments since many of the original posters have not provided new versions (myself included). There is one - the bulletted rules summary - that is particularly rife with errors.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Haggerty
United States
flag msg tools
If you're on your own, one good way to check your grasp of the rules is to play Rod Bauer's Solitaire Variant Mini-game here.

Rod's variant uses only half of the map and a fraction of the units. That, and the variant's very focused objectives, allows you to start playing purposefully in a short amount of time.

Once you're actually playing, some concepts that may now seem fuzzy will fall into place and you can review (or ask about) those that remain unclear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I prefer learning by reading. With NT, I did more than that: I digested and internalized the rules by translating them into Chinese. Okay that probably isn't for everyone but it might help if you'd sit down and attack the rules by brute force, so as to speak. Just don't expect to get everything down in one go and don't forget to bug the heck out of us here if you have any questions. Ask around and people here can tell you what a pest I have been. Just kidding, everyone here is an angel. I did learn to watch and enjoy American football by looking it up in Encyclopaedia Britanica... playing is another thing... most footballers would love to have me as a doormat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
There is . . . a video . . . or a picture walkthrough . . . or something, on his site. That helped me understand the rules better. (Though, they're pretty simple, just unique!)

Not that anyone will actually play with me now . . .

I'll play - set up a game via vassal or cyberboard

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer K
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it like this.
I read the rules first and then got the player aid/rules summery of the files section and studied it. Before every game, I revise the player aid for about five minutes to remember the details. That works perfektly for me.

good luck & happy gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.